Subject: Session Report rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Bosley
Canada
Aldergrove
BC
flag msg tools
Patrick was the first to arrive, so he and I started off with a 2-player game of Labyrinth - the Card Game. This is a square-card placing game (just like a tile-placing game, only with really thin tiles!) based on the Amazing Labyrinth series of games. The game is by Max J. Kobbert.

First of all, this game is definitely not Carcassonne the Dungeon. It’s far simpler than that. The game starts off with 4 random cards in the middle of the table. Each card consists of a tiny section of a labyrinth (I wonder where they got the name of the game from?) with a branching pathway and some stone walls.

You have two cards in your hand. On your turn, you place one of your cards so that it butts up against at least one other card already lying there. At least one of the pathways on the card you place must continue one of the existing pathways on at least one of the cards it butts up against. So no stonewalling off pathways. You have to make at least one connection. After playing a card, you also get to draw a new card.

Each card has 2 treasures on it. That’s “treasures” rather loosely. I wouldn’t exactly call a big ugly troll with a club a “treasure”. Although I’m sure Mrs. Troll loves him dearly. Anyhow, what you’re trying to do is place your card in such a way that either one or both of the treasures on the card connect along the pathways to matching treasures. If you can trace a pathway to the matching treasure, you get to remove that already-placed card and put it in front of you. However, you can remove this card (or cards in rare circumstances if you manage to get a double match) if and only if you don’t break up the labyrinth. In other words, you can’t isolate a section of the labyrinth. When any card is removed, ALL the remaining cards must be touching each other along at least one side. If a piece is only touching diagonally, and has no card butted up against it, then you have committed a grave no-no, and must immediately start playing Blinde Huhn solitaire.

That’s it. That’s the whole game. Once the deck has been gone through once, whoever has managed to pick up the most labyrinth cards wins the game.

With only 2 cards in your hand to choose from, you don’t exactly have an overwhelming set of decisions to make. Either you can place a card to take another card or you can’t. Occasionally, you can set yourself up to take a card on the NEXT turn. Pretty exciting. There are also a LOT of different “treasures” in the game, so often you can‘t make a match at all. As a result, the labyrinth does tend to grow as the game progresses, which in turn offers a few more possibilities of where to play your card.

I think the game would be good to play with younger children. It’s very easy to learn, and there’s a little teeny-weeny bit of strategy. Sometimes you even have more than one place to play a card! And the game does look neat with all the cards laid out.

I enjoyed the original The Amazing Labyrinth much more than this card game version of it. If you want to play a labyrinth game, go play The Amazing Labyrinth, or it’s big brother, Master Labyrinth. And if you want to place tiles to create a “land”, then go play Carcassonne.

I would not hesitate to recommend the game provided you intend to play it together with children. With just adults playing though, I can’t really recommend it, unless you want something really light.

In our game by the way, we had a tie.

Dan -*17*
Patrick - *17*

We didn’t rate it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.