Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Goldberg
United States
Longmont
co
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been very interested in getting FANG but also Shadows of Brimstone. Have any of you played both and which do you prefer? I love both the themes so that isn't the issue. Do Shadows leveling system and continuing story ultimately make it have more replayability. Not too keen on constructing the figures in Shadows though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found FANG much too fiddly for what it is. Having LOTS of fun with Brimstone!...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Cromwell
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have both and I do enjoy FANG, but Brimstone has a lot more going for it. I would say Brimstone hands down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Lloyd
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
Canadian Game Design Award: http://www.fallcon.com/design
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Love it when folks use acronyms without using the real name first.

What is FANG?

Peace
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cotton Donkey
Canada
Milton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunder wrote:

What is FANG?

Peace

Fortune and Glory
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Lloyd
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cottondonkey wrote:
Thunder wrote:

What is FANG?

Peace

Fortune and Glory

Thanks!

Peace
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Clarkson
United States
Watertown
NEW YORK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My family and I enjoy FANG a lot. We do add a lot more "acting" and funny voices when playing!
And since I would have had to sell a kidney to get into Shadows, after missing the kickstarter, I don't think we will get to play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
My friend was a huge A Touch of Evil (ATOE) fan. He bought out my Kickstarter pledge for Shadows of Brimstone (SOB), upgraded to Mine Cart, bought all the non-Minecart add-ins, and now he wants to paint the figures; so I'd say he prefers Shadows of Brimstone more than ATOE or Fortune and Glory (FANG).

I've played all three games. They share similar mechanics for player statistics & skill checks; FANG and SOB's fight mechanics have more in common than SOB and ATOE. I find "fiddlyness" in all three titles; but you'd at least expect it in a title like SOB, whereas it's more of a let-down in FANG and ATOE.

The big hook for Shadows of Brimstone is the character continuity and customizing your hero's abilities. If either of those sound good to you, then you won't find it in Fortune and Glory. I suspect Shadows of Brimstone will only improve as fans add win/lose campaign narratives and component mods (there's already Brimstone Bank notes and XP cards).

The missions in SOB do feel a bit samey, but I could say the same thing about FANG. SOB stays fresh because your the hero and monster abilities keep evolving; FANG stays fresh because your starting a new game each time and "losing" doesn't have long-term repercussions for your next play session. Speaking about losing, SOB can be very cruel, especially in the early rounds when you don't have much equipment and things go against you. Spend your first scenario's winnings on Tombstone Chests. The introductory scenarios net you a lot of dark stone, and poor corruption rolls could mean a lot mutations in a hurry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Downing
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
zombieconan wrote:
I've been very interested in getting FANG but also Shadows of Brimstone. Have any of you played both and which do you prefer? I love both the themes so that isn't the issue. Do Shadows leveling system and continuing story ultimately make it have more replayability. Not too keen on constructing the figures in Shadows though.

I have both, along with all available expansions for FanG. I enjoy Fortune & Glory a great deal, and was worth picking up... but Shadows of Brimstone is definitely our new favorite around the house.

I'd say if you were just going for a single base game of SoBs vs. a single base game of FanG, Fortune & Glory is the better bet. Fortune & Glory is a better base-set game, though only barely. Where Brimstone shines is in how expandable it is. Fortune and Glory has a couple expansions, and they're worth grabbing, but they don't really change much of the game. But two base sets of Brimstone together exponentially adds to the game, and with the additional expansions and content promised through their Kickstarter, I've got extremely high hopes there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Gavin's assessment.

Keep in mind the total cost of ownership is probably higher with Shadows of Brimstone. You can have a good experience with FANG for $140 (base game + the first two expansions, which add enough Danger cards), whereas the two base game sets for Brimstone (which I'd consider the minimum size to own) retails for $200.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan K
United States
Canton
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After playing twice with one core set, I'd say one core set is the minimum purchase. There is a lot in there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.