Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Big Easier

Fairport
New York
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
What are your general feelings about the balance of Sloan vs Law Dog matchup using the suggested preconstructed decks (after the tutorial ones)? Is this a 50/50 matchup or do you feel one side has an advantage? What makes it advantageous if there is one?

Our game group has a feeling that an aggro Law Dog, one that doesn't drop deeds early and gets Wendy to Town Square, against Sloan is very tough to beat. Any strategies that you can think of that can help Sloan in this situation?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Only played the matchup five times, so I cannot comment much, however - if you reached the stage where you analyze this, it's probably time to go into deckbuilding
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Hamm
United States
Huxley
Iowa
flag msg tools
See this text? It's a gratuitous waste of GeekGold.
badge
The game itself isn't important. Spending time intellectually jousting with likeminded folks is the real reason to game.
mbmbmbmbmb
bigeasier wrote:
What are your general feelings about the balance of Sloan vs Law Dog matchup using the suggested preconstructed decks (after the tutorial ones)? Is this a 50/50 matchup or do you feel one side has an advantage? What makes it advantageous if there is one?

Our game group has a feeling that an aggro Law Dog, one that doesn't drop deeds early and gets Wendy to Town Square, against Sloan is very tough to beat. Any strategies that you can think of that can help Sloan in this situation?

Building a constructed Sloan deck?

The intro decks are useful for learning the game and the mechanisms, but I don't think the decks are particularly balanced for repeated play. I don't think that's their purpose, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davido
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the precon *as constructed* doesn't start Wendy. So if you're starting Wendy, you're already well on the road to building your own decks

Wendy takes some skill to play around, so she presents a tough matchup for most other decks, especially for new players.

*AS CONSTRUCTED* - the Sloane ability is strong, but doesn't start Allie. Ramiro is great offense/protection, so I'd give the edge to Sloane.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy Bistrovich
msg tools
I know the obvious answer of "get the shotgun on Ramiro" however without getting that one combo right away or even at all...is where the struggle against the precon law dogs deck when they are playing offensively is happening. Especially if they start Wendy or even the Sheriff. Starting either of those usually leaves them with little economy to start so my opponent has generally been taking a very offensive front.
I've received recommendations of just sitting home and building economy however with the law dogs ability to give bounties and the fact that much of Sloan's deck strength is trying to get bounties on the dudes...it opens up the ability for Law Dogs with Bluetick or Bounty Hunter to just walk into and call you out even at home.
When trying to put out deeds my opponent would just come in and take them over (again...assuming that I don't have shotgun on a stud to protect it). Since he didn't have his own economy he relied on me putting out deeds and would just take them over. Several of Sloanes cards also relies on being on a deed you control but do not own...so without my opponent putting out deeds and just coming in and controlling mine it makes those card very weak to useless.
If I did ever get in shootouts, for either trying to take control back of one my deeds or just because he has so many ways of calling me out...even if I did have the shotgun...his ability with Wendy to just boot my shotgunner home made shootout very difficult to win. And he would usually have Sun in your eyes or Bottom Dealing along with Tommy Harden that would usually wipe me out very easily because the chances of drawing cheat hands with Sloane is very high and he reduces your studs down to regular low bullet dudes thus limiting your options significantly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You've already modified the decks by changing the starting dudes, what is the barrier to making other changes as well?

In any event, I suspect that a lot of the more knowledgeable and helpful players are in the same position that I find myself in - we have not played much with the demo decks because as soon as we learned to play we immediately deconstructed them and starting working on our own decks. Consequently we may have very little knowledge of what's in them or what problems they run into against specific opposing decks that we also have little knowledge of.

If you feel that your deck can't compete without , then I would say put that card in there and use it as a stepping stone to move up to the full game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy Bistrovich
msg tools
There is no real barrier...I guess it is just a matter of wanting to know at this point that the starter deck for Sloane isn't a one trick pony (aka shotgun or bust) against the starter Law Dogs played aggro. It seems there has to be a viable way of surviving...I just haven't found it yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.