Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Weiss
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=5115

All about how to stop the invasion and win (or lose) the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it just me, or have FFG previews been...not as good recently? It used to be that the previews would show you more of the game, with a few cards and such hidden behind links in the text. Now they just seem to be repeating everything we already knew, just with more words.

The fact that the preview has been up for almost 24 hours now and there's not been a single reply to this thread (except mine) kinda attests to the lack of buzz the article generated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
Is it just me, or have FFG previews been...not as good recently? It used to be that the previews would show you more of the game, with a few cards and such hidden behind links in the text. Now they just seem to be repeating everything we already knew, just with more words.

The fact that the preview has been up for almost 24 hours now and there's not been a single reply to this thread (except mine) kinda attests to the lack of buzz the article generated.

Yeah, I read the preview and, while one or two of the details may have been new, the overwhelming impression was "Yeah, we already know all that".

Quote:
In our next preview, we’ll look at the game’s push-your-luck dice mechanics in conjunction with your base defense, the role of the Squad Leader, and the resolution of missions!

So we'll no doubt be told how the Squad Leader assigns some or all of the reserve troops to the base and the current mission (possibly mentioning that each soldier assigned costs one currency unit) then, during the resolution phase, he rolls a number of XCOM dice determined by the number and types of troops assigned to a given area - the current threat and the troops both come with icons; each troop that has an icon matching one on the threat contributes a die; some icons have the potential to be worth more dice (either automatically or unlocked by research). In addition, he rolls the threat die. Any successes on the XCOM dice accumulate on the threat until a target number are accumulated - at which point the threat is defeated. The dice can be rerolled as many times as you want, until the threat die rolls a failure, but each reroll also pushes the threat die's target number up. When the threat die comes up a failure, you stop rolling for that area (possibly applying that roll's successes) and bad things happen - probably losing one or more soldiers, but it may also depend on the threat.

Successful base defense prevents damage to the base; successful mission completion potentially unlocks the next mission, and has an additional reward.

Did I miss anything?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The recent one for the Eldritch Horror expansion was the same. It was supposed to be about the new Antarctica board, but was completely devoid of any information regarding the board itself (i.e, what the spaces on it did). They just showed us a few of the new encounter cards (which are all pretty much just the same as the base game's encounter cards) and just left it at that. Bleh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Johansson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
It used to be that the previews would show you more of the game, with a few cards and such hidden behind links in the text. Now they just seem to be repeating everything we already knew, just with more words.

I would suspect that feeling has more to do with the amount of information we have gotten from third party sources that has actualy played the demo at GenCon then with a lack of new information released from FFG them selfs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
The recent one for the Eldritch Horror expansion was the same. It was supposed to be about the new Antarctica board, but was completely devoid of any information regarding the board itself (i.e, what the spaces on it did). They just showed us a few of the new encounter cards (which are all pretty much just the same as the base game's encounter cards) and just left it at that. Bleh.

They do seem to be a lot more "fluffy" and a lot more time in between the previews.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PC ichigo
Thailand
Bangbuathong
Nonthaburi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Smuggler wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:
It used to be that the previews would show you more of the game, with a few cards and such hidden behind links in the text. Now they just seem to be repeating everything we already knew, just with more words.

I would suspect that feeling has more to do with the amount of information we have gotten from third party sources that has actualy played the demo at GenCon then with a lack of new information released from FFG them selfs.

Agree on this.

For those who never knew the game or digging for an information before,
it is quiet a lot of thing to be excite to read there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pcichigo wrote:
Smuggler wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:

Agree on this.

For those who never knew the game or digging for an information before,
it is quiet a lot of thing to be excite to read there.

True, but they could still show at least a few new things that even the hardcore fans haven't seen before in order to make it interesting to all audiences. As mentioned, I've rarely (if ever) seen a preview appear and not have *any* comments made about it on BGG. On the FFG forums, there's not even a thread mentioning that the preview had appeared!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
Is it just me, or have FFG previews been...not as good recently?

Its just you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.