Subject: More detail on scoring needed... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Worth
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
A friend and I played a test round of the PnP yesterday and I really liked it. However, I'm pretty unclear on some parts of the scoring based on the instructions.

Disclaimer: I haven't watched the video- I went just off what a friend who watched the video saw, but he said the scoring details felt a little glossed-over.

Question I had (and best guess at answers)

1. If I have a "1* per (planet type) card:
Do I count:
a. Colonized Planets of that type (yes)
b. Conquered (Spoils) Planets of that type (unsure)
c. Domain cards that have that planet type on the left side (yes?)

2. If I have a "1* per politics card:
Do I count:
a. Colonized Planets (yes)
b. Conquered (Spoils) Planets (unsure because rules say "controlled" planets)
c. Domain cards that have a politics symbol on the left side (yes)
d. The politics tech card if I have it (yes)

3. If I have a "1* per planet"
Do I count:
a. Conquered (Spoils) Planets (I think no because rules say "colonized planet")

I think a lot of my uncertainty comes from the spoils scoring. Does the "planetary benefit" only come into play during the gameplay, meaning you can't use their upper-left symbols to boost other cards, but at the end-game they still count as planets, planets of that type, etc?

Also I'm not sure if the rules use the term "conquered" but I think it could help to differentiate from "colonized" (and "controlled" might mean both).

(edited to get relevant info at top for those looking for it)

Answers using info from other posts and Andy from TMG's responses below, validated by Seth (game creator) below:

All the things you can get points from:

1. "1* per planet" domain cards counting:
a. Number of planets you colonized

2. "1* per spoils" domain cards counting:
a. Number of planets in your spoils (conquered/taken via warfare)

3. "1* per capital" domain cards counting:
a. Colonized planets with the symbol
b. Spoils (conquered) planets with the symbol in the upper-left corner
c. Domain cards that have a politics symbol in the upper-left corner
d. The capital tech card if you have it

4. "1* per tech" domain cards counting:
a. The number of tech cards you own

5. "1* per (color/planet type e.g. fertile, exotic)" domain cards counting:
a. Colonized planets of that color/type
b. Spoils (conquered) planets of that color/type
c. Domain cards that have that color/planet type on the left side

6. Planets card's Influence values in the upper right (if any)- Note I think this one is missing from the rules
a. Colonized planets' face value
b. Spoils (conquered) planets face value

Also the scoring example in the rules doesn't take any Tech cards, which would help provide a complete example scoring set. I don't think it's that unclear, just something I noticed when writing out the above and looking at the instructions in detail.

Lastly I've personally found it helpful to turn spoils planets sideways to indicate to myself that they can't be used for their planetary abilities but to still keep them visible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Van Zandt
United States
South Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
PlayTMG.com
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have colonized a planet:
It provides everything. Icons on it can be used to boost actions, it is a planet (but is not spoils), it has a higher defense value and can be attacked. It contributes color, politics icons, and point icons to the end game scoring, and counts as a planet for "1 vp per planet" cards.

If you have successfully attacked a planet:
It ceases being a planet. It is now "Spoils" instead. Its icons can NOT be used to boost action, nor can it be attacked further. It DOES contribute color, politics icons, and point icons to the end game scoring, and counts as SPOILS (but not as planet) for "1 vp per spoils" cards.

Does that clear things up?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Worth
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
I get that moving to "spoils" takes a planet out of play for the purposes of stealing and boosting actions, but the scoring at the end game feels weird in that these planets are worth very little (because, if they *only* count as "1 VP for spoils" cards (not 1VP for planet, 1VP for politics, or 1VP for planet type) then planets in your spoils area are worth very few points. Military aggression does not seem to be a viable strategy at first glance with this kind of scoring.

To me it feels natural that there would be a "1VP for conquered planets" for military-focused players, "1VP for colonized planets" for peaceful players, but that for politics and planet-type (fertile, etc.) VP's would be counted across all "controlled" planets, regardless of how you acquired them (via colonization or conquering).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Van Zandt
United States
South Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
PlayTMG.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you misread me- Spoils DO count their vp icon, color, and politics icon. They are, in fact worth effectively the same as planets, because there are the same number of "points for planets" cards as there are "points for spoils" cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Worth
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
Ah ok, well further feedback that somehow the scoring could be clarified Thanks for the help/replies Andy.

Also I edited my top post to hopefully summarize what I believe to be the complete "things you can score points for" list. If you have feedback/corrections, please let me know. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Etherton
Scotland
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also can't you steal them from your opponent? So you're costing them points while gaining points?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Van Zandt
United States
South Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
PlayTMG.com
mbmbmbmbmb
That is also true, if you successfully attack a planet owned by the other player, they lose the points/benefits of the planet, while you gain points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RafaƂ Kruczek
Poland
Legnica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that example in manual should include spoils. Now there is 0 spoils in example so it deesn't help very much with this problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ceekay wrote:

Edit 2:
Answers using info from other posts and Andy from TMG's responses below:

All the things you can get points from (as far as I can tell):

1. "1* per planet" domain cards counting:
a. Number of planets you colonized

2. "1* per spoils" domain cards counting:
a. Number of planets in your spoils (conquered/taken via warfare)

3. "1* per capital" domain cards counting:
a. Colonized planets with the symbol
b. Spoils (conquered) planets with the symbol in the upper-left corner
c. Domain cards that have a politics symbol in the upper-left corner
d. The capital tech card if you have it

4. "1* per tech" domain cards counting:
a. The number of tech cards you own

5. "1* per (color/planet type e.g. fertile, exotic)" domain cards counting:
a. Colonized planets of that color/type
b. Spoils (conquered) planets of that color/type
c. Domain cards that have that color/planet type on the left side

6. Planets card's Influence values in the upper right (if any)- Note I think this one is missing from the rules
a. Colonized planets' face value
b. Spoils (conquered) planets face value

This sounds exactly correct - though it's 3:40 am, but I think I can still read right
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for these clarification questions - I think we can adopt many of these suggestions and make the rules much cearer.

While some might say I'm good at making up rules, I will be the first to admit I'm not the best at writing them down...

- Seth
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Worth
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
Great, thanks for the replies, Seth! I've also started turning spoils planets sideways to remind myself which planets are which while keeping them visible to both players (assuming I should).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ceekay wrote:
Great, thanks for the replies, Seth! I've also started turning spoils planets sideways to remind myself which planets are which while keeping them visible to both players (assuming I should).

Yes, you should. Spoils by definition are Revealed, so they should be face up, and face up means anybody can look at them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.