Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Barksdale
United States
Glenwood Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
I'm interested in buying the game because I have some very dear friends who are Cuban refugees. Mostly I want the ability to learn about how the revolution occurred. That said, what I don't want to do is play a game that glorifies, or in some way makes me play as Fidel Castro, Che or any of those waste of sperm and eggs. I can think of no more vial person in the 20th century than Fidel save Hitler and Stalin. My friend's father spent 12 months being electrically shocked all day in prison because he was a no from there originally. He lost everything he owned and still has family members who have been raped and murdered with impunity.

That said, can I play the game as Batista (who really was not much better) or...?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Berg Asklev Hansen
Denmark
Vejle
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How would you make a game on the cuban revolution without having Fidel Castro in the game?

Thats like making an WWII eastern front game without nazi germany and soviey russia because those regimes weren't nice...

As is written in the games description players represent Batista's goverment, the mafia syndicate, Fidel's 26.july movement or the Directorio student movement

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Tine'
Italy
Genoa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
soprismb wrote:
That said, what I don't want to do is play a game that glorifies, or in some way makes me play as Fidel Castro, Che or any of those waste of sperm and eggs.

As for glorifying Castro and the others, you can download and read both the Rulebook and Playbook and make up your own mind. When I was reading those, I had the feeling the bias was rather pro-Directorio, if anything, but I might be completely wrong and I don't know much about the period anyway.

Regarding your other worry (having to play as Castro) no worries there: you can choose any of the 3 other factions or, if you play solo, you can play the Government.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Killian
United States
Watertown
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't personally think the game glorifies anyone -- Batista, as you point out, was no picnic himself, the DR mostly comes off as a bit less nasty mostly in retrospect because they didn't get to take power themselves and the Syndicate was, well, the Mob.

But if you and your friends want to play a COIN game but nobody can play as Castro's boys in good conscience, you might want to look at getting a different game. (Not that, say, the Vietnam War isn't itself a topic that makes everyone titchy as hell.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vez A
Germany
Kiel
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Cuba Libre does involve taking actions such as terror and kidnapping (regardless of whether you play as Castro's 26July or some other faction). Anyone with a personal emotionally charged relationship to the Cuban revolution might want to consider if this stirs those emotions too much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian S.
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
01010011 01001000 01000001 01001100 01001100 00100000 01010111 01000101 00100000 01010000 01001100 01000001 01011001 00100000 01000001 00100000 01000111 01000001 01001101 01000101 00111111
mbmbmbmbmb
You could play this guy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Davis
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most cringeworthy picture in the whole darn deck. Well played by Volko Ruhnke and yourself, sir...

surprisesurprisesurprisesurprisesurprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Daniel
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The two options presented for solo play in the game are the Government and M26 (Castro). I've also played the Directorio solo and it worked out as well (I lost). I'm guessing the Syndicate solo would be too easy as the Government bot ignores the syndicate for the most part.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle E
United States
Sheboygan
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played two solo plays of the game. I looked over the rules, cards, and historical overview (in the Playbook). I can tell you that this game doesn't glorify Fidel's 26July Movement in anyway. If you have any interest in the history of the Cuban Revolution, I think you will enjoy the game. The Playbook is especially good in describing the history of the Cuban Revolution, it states the causes for Fidel's success, as well as Batista's failings, and makes an interesting case for the more democratic Directorio movement. If you want to play the game and detest playing Castro, you can simply run his faction as a Bot (using the Non-Player rules), and put the 'beat down' on him with the other factions. If you manage to rout Castro from his base in Sierra Maestra, it will be hard for him to win the game. In my solo plays I played 26July and can say that victory can be hard to achieve. My first game was won by the DR (Bot) and the second was won 26July on the last card play.

Endgame of my solo play - 26July victory

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Williams
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dude, it's just a game... I had relatives in Vietnam and friends in the middle east. Their experiences in no way affect my desire to play a board game. I guess it'd be different if I were some sort of tortured political prisoner.

It seems like the risk of butt hurt is really high. You should just avoid this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.