Subject: Gaming with parents rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am unable to game with my parents because they passed away before I was into the board game era of my gaming career. I think they would have enjoyed playing board games together with me.

Please help me understand what it's like gaming with parents, especially stories from adults with older parents. I'd be interested to hear positive as well as negative stories.

Good or bad, it's one of those experiences I feel like I will never know.

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
I loved board games when I was a kid. I'm talking about the mainstream stuff from the late 1960s and 1970s that was available from Ideal, Parker Brothers, Milton Bradley, and similar companies. My father wasn't into games very much, but I remember my mother playing games like Ker Plunk, Green Ghost, Pachisi, and Barnabas Collins Dark Shadows Game with me. Years later, I found out that my mother didn't really enjoy playing games. She just played because she knew that I loved games. I don't remember playing many games with my mother after I was about 10 or 11 years old. In recent years, I have occasionally asked my parents to play games with my wife and me but they have not been interested. They are content to just watch. Sorry I don't have a better story, but that's the way it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Currently at 1:2 ratio, getting better every week
badge
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played games with my parents since I was young. Mostly commercial stuff like Monopoly, Rummikub, Phase 10, and the like. We usually had a good time laughing at Dad, because he just didn't understand the rules or strategy to most of those.

More recently, after their divorce, I've gotten my mother to play more of the hobby-style games. Her favorites thus far are Lords of Waterdeep, Pandemic and Kingsburg. Whenever I'm browsing for trades or new games, I'm thinking "Would Mom play this?" and I've added a couple of titles like Alhambra and What's My Word, specifically with her in mind. She doesn't like complex rules or lots of bits to remember, but she does get into the games mentioned. I still have her number on things like Qwirkle, but she can beat me on Alhambra and LoW. We probably play Pandemic the most because we either both win or we both lose and I think she enjoys that the most.

I'm sorry you missed out on gaming with parents. I still consider those days of Scrabble and Phase 10 as some of the best gaming days with them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Paulton
United Kingdom
St. Andrews
Fife
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With 1 parent (dad) it's ace. As long as I don't introduce too many games at once he'll play anything and try to get into the theme as much as possible. He also has respect for the components and what not. Could do with being a little more receptive for explanation of rules though....

Mum on the other hand? Between us we've pratcially excluded her because of a number of annoying traits. AP being the major one but also including repeated BENDING of cards, inability to follow simple turn orders and massive rage issues when told she can't take such an action :/

Very mixed bag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Fost
Canada
Oshawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My family has always played games together for as long as I can remember. Mind you these were mostly the Yahtzee and Cribbage kind but were fun non the less.

I'm lucky I have a wife that plays Cribbage and games in general.

My parents will usually give any game a try as long it's easy to pick up. Zombie Dice and more recently King of Tokyo are big hits for them. But who doesn't like rolling dice. (myself included)

During the summer, we play outside games a lot, Bocce, Washer toss and other outdoor games of hand eye coordination. My dad has never gone easy on me and for that I'm grateful. Every win was earned.

It helps that my parents are totally up for anything. Always laid back with a great sense of humor.

I love them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Smith
United States
Tavares
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My mom was the only one in my family that would ever play games with me (dad and brother were too outdoor-minded and unable to sit still for more than 5 seconds).

When I was in elementary I remember playing a lot of double solitaire. When I got older we started playing Rummikub instead. That was always fun, especially at the end trying to figure out if the other person had any way of playing the rest of their tiles.

We also played a lot of Euchre with my aunt and cousin whenever they visited. It was always me and my cousin against them. Sometimes they would pop a bottle of wine while we played and after about two hands they couldn't stop laughing at ANYTHING. My cousin and I would just look at each other and smile and shake out heads. Good times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
I only played games with my dad a few times as a kid. I think he felt a duty to agree if asked, but wasn't into it at all, so he'd just cheat really obviously whenever we asked him to play. We learned.

My mom was willing to give it a real try, and even DMed when my older brother wanted to play D&D. She was obviously doing it for us rather than out of any actual interest, though, so we mostly stopped bothering her about it. She's still pretty happy to play Rummy or something similar, but my tastes run to hobby games, and there are now enough of her grandkids around when we're together that there's rarely a good time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lori
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I grew up gaming. Back then it was mass-market, traditional, and whatever we could find in the semirural, pre-internet reality I grew up in. These days, it's BGG and anything goes. My mom is a huge fan of the Mayfair crayon rail games (as am I). Her birthday is coming soon, and we're going to play a doubleheader of India Rails and Iron Dragon. It'll be awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My dad actually got me into the board games. When I was younger he read in the paper about a game day, where the local game store would display his new games and where some publishers and volunteers would explain the games. We went there and played the game Roll through the ages, which we bought the same day.
I played some games with him through the years. He really liked Flash point. But then I met my girlfriend and started to play with her. The few times my father would join us, I had to explain the game again, as he had forgotten most of it. I didn't like to explain the game every time, so my father doesn't play with me anymore. He plays chess now on the computer.

I can't get my mom to play any other game then Qwixx...

Anyway, the difference between playing games with your parents or with other people is that they are still letting you win because they are used to it from your early days. They also play games with you, just to do something together with you. They will let you choose the game. With other people, they also play to play games. And not just to do something with you. I like playing games with friends and my girlfriend more, because they are actually into playing board games and take the game more serious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DraedGhawl wrote:
My dad actually got me into the board games. When I was younger he read in the paper about a game day, where the local game store would display his new games and where some publishers and volunteers would explain the games. We went there and played the game Roll through the ages, which we bought the same day.
I played some games with him through the years. He really liked Flash point. But then I met my girlfriend and started to play with her. The few times my father would join us, I had to explain the game again, as he had forgotten most of it. I didn't like to explain the game every time, so my father doesn't play with me anymore. He plays chess now on the computer.

I can't get my mom to play any other game then Qwixx...

Anyway, the difference between playing games with your parents or with other people is that they are still letting you win because they are used to it from your early days. They also play games with you, just to do something together with you. They will let you choose the game. With other people, they also play to play games. And not just to do something with you. I like playing games with friends and my girlfriend more, because they are actually into playing board games and take the game more serious.

Thanks Marco. I was wondering how the personal side of the relationship affected the game. My wife would definitely never let me win.

My mom, I'm not sure she would have ever tried to beat me at something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.