New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to Micro Rome
1 - Player
15-30 Minutes

This game is an entry to the 18 Card Micro Game Contest. A link to the contest is here: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1211499/18-card-microgame-co...

Build Rome and populate the city by playing cards and obtaining a score of 40 45 points or more by the time the Colosseum is built.

pdf files of the 4 pages needed can be found here: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B-DhO0lGdRf6VkU1enlT...

When assembling, make sure pages 1 and 2 are back to back to each other as well as pages 3 and 4.

Please feel free to post questions and comments to help playtest and develop this game. Thanks for checking out Micro Rome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bevilacqua
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules
Objective: Build Rome and populate the city by playing cards and obtaining a score of 40 45 points or more by the time the Colosseum is built.

Game Setup: Shuffle all the cards under the table except the Rules card, the Scoring card, and the Colosseum card. Once shuffled and without looking, place the Colosseum card on top of the deck and place the deck on the table. Turn the Rules card to the side showing the Fountain and 4 Banners and place it as the starting card of the tableau. You are ready to begin.

On Your Turn: Draw one card from the BOTTOM of the deck and add it to the tableau. Cards added to the tableau must follow the following rules:
1-Choose which side of the drawn card you wish to play.
2-A card must be placed at a 0, 90, 180, or 270 degree rotation.
3-The card must cover at least 3 boxes of the existing tableau.
4-A card can never cover Water Spaces or Barbarians.
5-You may cover Banners and Romans.
6-You may cover Buildings and Fountains but only if you cover them completely with the new card added.
7-The new card can never be placed under previously placed cards.
8-Once a new card is drawn, you cannot alter the previously placed cards in any way.
9-If you have no legal spot to place a card, game over, you lose.

End Game: Once the Colosseum is drawn and placed, the game is over and scoring takes place.

Scoring: All tiles are scored based on adjacency. Adjacent is considered orthogonal and not diagonal.

Romans
Citizens-Each Man and Woman set that are adjacent scores 3 Points. Each Citizen can only score once this way.

Senator-Senators score based on how many are in a chain or group. The total score is 0/2/6/12 based on if there are 1/2/3/4 Senators in the chain or group.

Merchant-Each Merchant scores 2 Points for every Market he is adjacent to.

Praetorian-Each Praetorian scores 1 Points if he is adjacent to a Barbarian. Each Praetorian can only score once this way.

Barbarians
Barbarian-Each Barbarian scores MINUS 2 Points if he is not adjacent to a Guard Tower or Praetorian. Barbarians may not be covered by new cards.

Structures and Landscapes
Banner-Each Banner scores 1 Point.

Market-Used for scoring Merchants.

Temple-Each Temple scores 1/3/6/10/15 points for each 1/2/3/4/5 unique Romans adjacent to it. If there is a Barbarian adjacent to the Temple it scores 0 Points.

Guard Tower-Each Guard Tower will score 1 Point for each Barbarian adjacent to it.

Villa-Each Villa will double the scoring of an adjacent Roman. Each Villa can only be scored once and each scoring set of Romans can only use one Villa.

Fountain- Scores 0 Points. The Fountain is a building obstacle that may me covered by new cards.

Water- Scores 0 Points. Water may not be covered by new cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Micro Rome (18 Card Micro Game Contest)
well this is an intriguing positional idea for a game. definitely going to print this and give it a go
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Neal
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I'm openly jealous. lol.... sounds great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Phillips
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mmm solo tile laying. Subscribed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bevilacqua
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scoring Card
Although not official material for the Game Contest, I've created a scoring card to aid with the end game scoring.

The pdf has been added to the link where you can download the card images.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bevilacqua
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Update 1
Update 1: A winning score has been changed from 40 points to 45 points.

Designer's Note:
Before the files were uploaded, the original winning score was 50 or more. My wife and I, after about 2 dozen playtests, could not achieve 50. On her suggestion, I lowered it to 40. That seems to be way too easy for us now. Part of the reason being that I modified about 8 of the cards before the official upload went out. And I guess part of it stems from our familiarity with the game. So now it's 45, which is much more of a challenge even with some nice combos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Windischer
Austria
Innsbruck
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ever thought about expanding this game to be playable by 2 players?

Maybe you can just put a little symbol to each Roman/Barbarian/Banner to show which player scores for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bevilacqua
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MartinWin wrote:
Ever thought about expanding this game to be playable by 2 players?

Maybe you can just put a little symbol to each Roman/Barbarian/Banner to show which player scores for it.

Actually, yes I have thought about a 2 player variant.

This is what I've come up with:

Set up is a little different. Shuffle in the Colosseum card and place the scoring card on top of the shuffled deck to keep the last card hidden. Place the starting card as normal and begin.

On a players turn, he draws and plays a card as normal except:

He immediately scores the card he played plus any characters or buildings effected by the card he played.

For example: There are already 2 Senators adjacent in the tableau and a player adds a 3 Senator to the chain, he scores 6 points on that turn. If the other player adds the 4 Senator on her turn, she scores 12 points.

Banners will score their 1 point if they are on the card you played or on the card underneath the card you just played.

Barbarians have no negative score associated with them, they are used to help score Praetorians and Guard Towers only.

In this way, both players are building Rome together, but taking advantage of the board on their turn. Each player gets 8 cards to add to the tableau. The player with the most points after the final card is played, wins. The Colosseum does not end the game early.

I haven't play tested it yet, but it should work. Please let me know if you give it a shot. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghislain LEVEQUE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played lost the game : http://boardgamegeek.com/play/details/12884288

I had fun but think one need to plan carefully
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghislain LEVEQUE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played again twice tonight, I've done better (scores 26 then 33) I'm still far from the 45 points needed but I begin to "feel" the game thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bevilacqua
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
courtjus wrote:
Played again twice tonight, I've done better (scores 26 then 33) I'm still far from the 45 points needed but I begin to "feel" the game :thumbsup:

Thanks for playing.

My current play testing record is at 44% win percentage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bevilacqua
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After a round of playtests, I'm going to have to modify a couple of cards. This is based on the which side of each card was used in the various playtests. Percentages of each side used, as follows:

Page 1
[1]100%[2]92%[3]17%
[4]75%[5]42%[6]42%
[7]83%[8]83%[9]67%

Page 2
[3]83%[2]08%[1]00%
[6]58%[5]58%[4]25%
[9]33%[8]17%[7]17%

Page 3
[10]50%[11]75%[12]75%
[13]58%[14]50%[15]67%
[16]33%[17]50%[18]00%

Page 4
[12]25%[11]25%[10]50%
[15]33%[14]50%[13]42%
[18]00%[17]50%[16]67%

Win Percentage 33%

I think any side that was used 17% or less needs tweaking; a task for this weekend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bevilacqua
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Update 2
The following changes to the cards have been made and updated in the files download:

Cards Version 1.1

Page 1 Card 2: Senator has been replaced with a Male Citizen.
Page 1 Card 3: Male Citizen has been replaced with a Senator.
Page 1 Card 7: Villa has been removed.
Page 2 Card 8: Barbarian has been removed.

Designer's Note: I've found that in some of the cases, it was easier to make the side that was chosen more often, less attractive than trying to make the side that was chosen less often, more attractive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Hiker
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just printed it and played it once. Finished with 19 points but now when I know how it works I hope to do better next time.

Great compact game! I like the theme very much.

P.S. I've found a typo - scoring desription for merchant states that he scores 2 points for evert market he's adjacent to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bevilacqua
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for catching that. I will fix it before the contest deadline, as well as, make all the cards into 1 pdf file.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bevilacqua
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Final version of the cards has been uploaded into a single, 4 page, pdf.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oh good this one looked fun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
If given the option, I would prefer to play with the green pieces, please.
badge
I have two new 9 Card Games: 300 Spartans and Franky's 1st Christmas
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Michael,
I played this yesterday and had fun with it.

I had one question come up in play. If there are two guards next to a single barbarian, do they both score a point? (As seen in the photo below)

My game was sort of pathetic. I ended up with a score of 10 points. I really enjoyed it though but clearly need to keep working on my strategy.

I thought the game was pretty challenging. I often found myself contemplating multiple options for placing cards so it was a surprising brain-burner for me. But it is still a very fast playing game which is nice. I like that the scoring sheet came with enough columns to track multiple games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bevilacqua
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, both Praetorians(Guards) can score a single Barbarian. The only rule is that a single Praetorian cannot score multiple Barbarians.

If the photo below is your end game, your score is actually 14

2 for the senators
8 for the merchants
2 for the praetorians
6 for the banners
1 for the temple
1 for the tower
-6 for the barbarians

Thanks for checking out the game. There are some big ways to score a lot of points, but I'll let you discover them. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Jaros
United States
DeKalb
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I played a couple games of Micro Rome last night and today I'm itching to play again!

I found the game to be pretty straight forward, simple to learn, and full of choices! It's definitely a game that you can work to get better at and see how different choices can affect the outcome. The game proves to be a great solo game with just enough randomness and quite a bit of strategy.

The only thing I found a challenge was with the scoring. It's easy enough to understand so you can best decide where to play cards, but calculating the final tally can be a bit challenging with so many icons. I found it's easiest to just go row by row and add points for an icon as you come to it. So it's not too bad, just a little overwhelming the first time you attempt it.

My first game I scored 14 points (I think) and my second I scored a respectable (hopefully) 23. I'm curious as to what a decent score is. It would be kind of cool to have some kind of Roman thematic hierarchy of score ranges on the scoring reference card so players have an idea of how well they do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bevilacqua
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your in-depth review. For a good score, you should really maximize the villa's double scoring ability. The additional scoring sheet really helped me make sure I scored properly.

I'm inspired to come up with the thematic hierarchy you've described. I would have to say a score of 14 would be Nero letting Rome Burn laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghislain LEVEQUE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gjjaros wrote:
My first game I scored 14 points (I think) and my second I scored a respectable (hopefully) 23. I'm curious as to what a decent score is.

My scores are 20, 26 and 33 so far but I think you have to reach 45 to be able to declare yourself a winner
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Jaros
United States
DeKalb
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played a few more times (I really like the game) and have gotten scores now of 35 (assuming a string of 5 senators is worth 20 points - that rule could be clarified), 29, and a bunch in the mid 20s.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bevilacqua
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The most a single group of Senators can score is 12 points without being connected to a Villa. A 5th Senator would start a second group of Senators and be worth 0 points as he would be the first of the second group.(you would still get the 12 points for the first group of 4 Senators)

I'm sure you can understand that with limited real estate for rules, this specific example couldn't be explained.

Thanks for your continued feedback.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.