Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
I help designers improve their games.
badge
Feed me...games...
mbmbmbmbmb

This is an 18-card micro-game I've been working on for the 18 card Microgame Contest. When the contest started, I was already designing a game using this art as a 54 card game. At first, I simply adapted that game to an 18 card format, but in doing so it evolved into something entirely different.

A PDF of the cards is available here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4btWJ6xbw78b2czVDhkMl9zWkE...

I have provided simple 'question mark' card backs, but since secrecy is key in the game it may be best to sleeve the 13 monster cards and not bother printing the backs. Simply printing these files double sided on normal paper tends to make it almost impossible to maintain secrecy!

The rules are included in the card sheets, so the files above are completely self contained. Here are the rules repeated, so you have some idea of what the game is all about:

Introduction
Musical monsters are loud and sound awful. However, the quietest monster in the room always takes the blame for the racket – everyone is convince that everything would have been great if that one quiet monster has been just a bit louder. In this game, players attempt to avoid being the quietest monster in the room, or (better yet) to be the only monster left in the room.

Setup
- Each player claims a scoring card and uses it to mark their starting coins at 6, by covering one of the coins in the matching line of coins.
- The loudest player is the first dealer.
- Add robot players as needed to bring the player count to 4.

Turn Sequence
Everybody does each phase together.
(1) Deal each player 2 face down cards. Robots are dealt a 3rd face down card. Each human player discards their highest card – keep those cards next to the players who discarded them, as a clue to other players.
(2) Each human player peeks at the face down card of the player to their left. If there is a robot to the left, they view all 3 cards and reveal the highest and lowest.
(3) Sting with the dealer and going clockwise (to the left) each player may choose to lose 1 coin to drop. IF they do, they do not reveal their hidden card unless a special power tells them to. Robots never drop unless a special power says so.
(4) All players who did not drop reveal their hidden cards and evaluate just those cards. The highest player gains 1 coin. The lowest player loses 2 coins. If a player is in ‘solo’ then they instead gain 2 coins.
(5) The game ends if anybody has no coins. The game only ends during phase 5 and never sooner. The player with the most coins wins, and tied players rejoice in shared victory. If everybody has coins, then the dealer pass clockwise (to the left); shuffle all the cards together, and start a new turn

Additional Notes on Robots
- In a 3 player game, add one robot, who re-seats itself to always be to the right of the dealer.
- In a 2 player game, add 2 robots, sitting alternately with the humans.
- Robots never trigger special powers on their cards.
- Robots track scores just like humans and might win!
- Robots are never the dealer; just skip them over when passing the dealer/first player responsibilities.

The art was created by a fellow BGGer
Andreas Propst
Austria
enzenkirchen
upper austria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

and it is used here with his permission.

Any feedback is welcome on the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Seater
United States
Ashland
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
I help designers improve their games.
badge
Feed me...games...
mbmbmbmbmb
Note that there are really 13 cards used during play. The other 5 cards are used to track scores ("coins").

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
really nice job with the score tracker and positions of the coin cards

and applause as well for only using 13 cards as the game cards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.