Hide
15 Posts

Legendary Encounters: An Alien Deck Building Game» Forums » General

Subject: Designing a new Avatar rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
W O
msg tools
The Alien player deck got me thinking (there's also a card that lets you gain a dead alien I think) about an Avatar that has some limited control over Xenomorphs or a Xenomorph.

I wanted to see if anyone had ideas for the balance of an Avatar like this. I wanted to go with an homage to the Game Warden in Jurassic Park, Muldoon, and call the Avatar "Game Warden." His role card would be something like "Cage the Beast."

I don't know what his role card should do, though. I want it to be balanced.

I was thinking it would just be an alien he can play for strikes equal to the current objective, but that's the gunners "Let's Rock" power, without "Draw a card." So, to mix it up, I figured the Role Card would let him gain any face up alien and convert its wounds to the number of the current objective (seems complex).

So I thought, maybe he can gain a revealed alien to his discard pile that's worth the current objective. But that may be useless on objective 3, when most aliens have much higher wounds.

The next one I thought of was using a face up alien to defend you from taking a single strike, but only if the wounds could add up and kill that alien (seems complex).

Finally, I thought this role card could let you gain a alien on the top of the hive, like
"Look at the top of the hive, if it's an alien, gain it. This can only be done once. If it's not an alien, draw a card."

If anyone has any ideas, I think this Avatar could be pretty cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W O
msg tools
I guess no one has any ideas!

I'm recruiting an artist to actually draw the Avatar and Role Card up as well.

My new Role idea is
"Look at the top of the hive deck. If it is an alien, pay the strikes in recruitment to gain it."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Nguyen
United States
Orange
California
flag msg tools
An Observation but Avatars so far seem to have the following: Defence + Health = 15. While there may be Expansions that could be exceptions to the rule, something to think about.

On the other hand, Scrying (henceforth looking at the top of a deck) could be nice to know to check for upcoming Hazards and Events... or with Secret Agendas, know when to Accuse someone should it come up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W O
msg tools
Awesome, I didn't realize the 15 thing. Thank you, that'll change my design a bit.

Right now the card design is based on Muldoon from Jurassic Park with a Xenomorph on a long dog grasper.

I'm thinking, to make it balanced, this will be the final Role Card ability

"You may spend Recruit Points equal to the Attack value of any face up Alien to gain it."

This way, you are able to spend your recruit to essentially eliminate an alien from the board, but you also recruit it. So it's a give and take. The card won't be able to gain aliens and recruit from the barracks in the same turn in a lot of cases. I think this will balance the card and make it normal, and not overpowered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What would the benefit of having an Alien card in your deck be? Something similar to Samael's power in Ascension (enemies can be played to provide their combat value)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W O
msg tools
Well, I was hoping the benefit would be obvious. You can play them for their strike power. But you have to make a decision between using your recruit points to gain barracks characters, or using them to recruit an alien.

Yes, it clears the board of an alien while giving you a card, but it's still a trade off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W O
msg tools
Bumping this.

I playtested the card a bit and I'm not sure about his power. It seems like it may overwrite the Mercenary's ability.

The role card is currently
"(Body Text)
You may spend Recruit Points equal to the Attack value of any face up Alien to gain it."

I'm thinking about two options.

"You may spend Recruit Points equal to the Attack value of any dead Alien to gain it."
Which seems kind of iffy.

And

"You may spend Recruit Points equal to the Attack value of any Alien in the combat zone to gain it."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orion Anderson
United States
Chicago
IL
flag msg tools
I'm fairly certain gaining aliens from the complex or the combat zone is straight-up broken. It's equivalent to killing said alien, so it's like turning your stars into strikes (which are generally more valuable) and getting effectively free recruitment as well. In addition to all that, you alsoget to bypass the abilities of camouflage xenomorph, Ash, and so on.

You could probably balance gaining from the hive, but to be honest I don't think gaining aliens is the way to go. I know the mechanic is already in the game with The Monster's Mother, but I personally never liked that card. It feels gimmicky and while I'm about willing to accept it as a single rare that might get played twice in a game, loading a deck up with aliens from turn 1 feels out-of-theme. Plus, filling a deck with cards that provide nothing but attack power is just boring.

If you don't mind the advice, I'd base a beastmaster character off Cattle Prod, not Monster's Mother. An ability to move some enemies around the complex would create really interesting strategy choices, and feel more in line with the limited, temporary control I think a human could get over the xenomorphs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W O
msg tools
OrionJA wrote:

If you don't mind the advice, I'd base a beastmaster character off Cattle Prod, not Monster's Mother. An ability to move some enemies around the complex would create really interesting strategy choices, and feel more in line with the limited, temporary control I think a human could get over the xenomorphs.

That's a pretty good idea, but it negates the usefulness of the electric prod. I didn't want to do that with any of the new avatar's abilities.

I was thinking you can only buy one alien per objective number.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orion Anderson
United States
Chicago
IL
flag msg tools
Cattle prod is an uncommon card on one of 16 characters. I wouldn't be that concerned. As a reductio, you could also say that Scout negates Motion detector or Medic negates First Aid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W O
msg tools
OrionJA wrote:
Cattle prod is an uncommon card on one of 16 characters. I wouldn't be that concerned. As a reductio, you could also say that Scout negates Motion detector or Medic negates First Aid.

That's true...
I'm still trying to think of a good ability because I wanted this avatar because I wanted to recruit aliens, haha.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Hook
United States
Lenexa
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's my hand at a new player Avatar.

MECHANIC

Armor: 4
Health: 11

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Mechanic Character Card

Card Title: Like the back of my hand

Class: Intel

Card Text:
Draw a Card
You may secretly look at hidden cards in the Power Station and/or Ventilation Shafts.
You may return the hidden cards to the Power Station and/or Ventilation Shafts in any order, (only if both locations in the Complex are in-play with hidden cards).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W O
msg tools
Hey guys.

For the past two weeks I've done a lot of painstaking playtesting with different abilities and different health and armor values for the new card. I came up with a bunch of different possibilities but really only one stuck and was useful as an Avatar Role Card.

The Avatar itself was easy to come up with. However, the art was not. It took two weeks of work every single day, with exhausting graphic design, font, and placement matching to create these with the artist I worked with. It was painstaking to recreate all the details of the graphic design, but I'm really happy with the result.

So finally, I present you guys with a brand new Avatar

Game Warden

He's based off Robert Muldoon, and his ability is something that just may come in handy sooner or later in your games...

I have a lot of extra copies of the physical cards left over. They're very similar cardstock wise and print gloss wise, and if people are interested I may ship them out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kenshin himura
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i'm very interesting by new avatars... how can i have it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W O
msg tools
Now that Predator's out, I wanted to bring this thread back from the dead.

If anyone is interested in the Game Warden, send me a message.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.