Larry Schneider
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
I just want to be sure I'm interpreting this correctly:

The Environment has 2 Oxygen Leaks in play. I'm assuming that means that you reduce all fire damage by 6.

The Environment just drew Fire in the Biosphere: At the end of the Environment turn, deal each target 2 Fire Damage. Each Hero must either destroy one of their Ongoing cards or take 2 more Fire Damage.

First of all, it seems that no Hero will have to destroy Ongoing cards since the 2 Oxygen Leaks reduce the 4 Fire Damage to 0. Right?

Now suppose only 1 Oxygen Leak was in play. Would Heroes who didn't destroy an Ongoing card suffer 4-3= 1 Fire Damage or does the reduce Fire Damage by 3 apply to each of the 2 Fire Damages separately, thus preventing all Fire damage? That is, each Hero is first dealt 2-3= 0 Fire Damage. And then, any Hero who didn't destroy an Ongoing card would be dealt 2-3= 0 Fire Damage.

I'm thinking the use of the word more in the phrase "take 2 more Fire Damage" causes the Fire Damage to be a single attack of 4, not 2 separate attacks of 2. Thus, am I correct in figuring that each such Hero would suffer 1 Fire Damage?

Sorry if this is so confusing...imagine how I feel! ;)

Added question:

While I'm at it, let me also ask this. Baron Blade just drew Slash and Burn: Deal Hero with lowest HP H Melee Damage. That's fine.

Then BB deals the Hero with the Highest HP H+2 Fire Damage. The Hero with the highest HP is Legacy who happened to play Superhuman Durability earlier in the game (When Legacy is dealt 5 or damage from a single source, reduce that damage by 3).

I guess I'm supposed to execute the cards in the order in which they were played (though I can't imagine how you can expect anyone to remember which cards came out in which order).

I'm guessing the first Oxygen Leak came out, then SuperHuman Durability was played, then the second Oxygen Leak came out.

So does the first Oxygen Leak reduce Slash and Burn's H+2= 5 Fire Damage to 2 Fire Damage, thus negating the value of Superhuman Durability?

It's possible that SuperHuman Durability came out first before the 2 Oxygen Leaks. Cuz now that I look, Superhuman Durability is the first card in Legacy's played cards and the Oxygen Leaks are the first and third cards in the Environment's played cards.

Therefore, if that would be the case, I think Superhuman Durability would reduce the H+2= 5 Fire Damage to 2 Fire Damage. And then the Oxygen Leaks would take card of the remaining Fire Damage. Thus, Legacy doesn't take any Fire Damage at all?

This is where I think the game starts to suffer when you have to try and keep track of things that most humans (without Superhuman Durability) wouldn't be able to track accurately.

I guess the question might be moot because of the 2 Oxygen Leaks in play, but imagine for the moment that it's only one Oxygen Leak. You still have to try and remember (or guess) which cards came out in which order. If Oxygen Leak came out before Superhuman Durability, Legacy would take 2 Fire Damage. If the reverse were true, he would take 0 Fire Damage. For the moment, I'm playing as if the latter were the case (though I can't be 100% sure).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Himes
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe they would take 0 damage to both cases, since that would be 2 separate instances of 2 damage each. Just one Oxy Leak is sufficient to make it 0.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Schneider
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
catwhowalksbyhimself wrote:
I believe they would take 0 damage to both cases, since that would be 2 separate instances of 2 damage each. Just one Oxy Leak is sufficient to make it 0.

Thank you Daniel. Though I can't imagine how someone else might think it could go the other way.

Also, please see my follow-up question in my original edited post if you wouldn't mind. That might be an even trickier question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everything between now and the next game is just killing time
England
London
Agitation
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
schnel wrote:
Added question:

While I'm at it, let me also ask this. Baron Blade just drew Slash and Burn: Deal Hero with lowest HP H Melee Damage. That's fine.

Then BB deals the Hero with the Highest HP H+2 Fire Damage. The Hero with the highest HP is Legacy who happened to play Superhuman Durability earlier in the game (When Legacy is dealt 5 or damage from a single source, reduce that damage by 3).

I guess I'm supposed to execute the cards in the order in which they were played (though I can't imagine how you can expect anyone to remember which cards came out in which order).

You guess incorrectly! For much the reason you speculated on the designers changed the rule from "order cards entered play" to "Player choice (unless start or end of turn effects then it still is order cards entered play)".
In your Legacy example you can choose Superhuman Durability first and then Oxygen Leak second for maximum reduction
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Schneider
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Matchstickman wrote:
schnel wrote:
Added question:

You guess incorrectly! For much the reason you speculated on the designers changed the rule from "order cards entered play" to "Player choice (unless start or end of turn effects then it still is order cards entered play)".
In your Legacy example you can choose Superhuman Durability first and then Oxygen Leak second for maximum reduction

Oh really! Was that in the FAQ and I just missed it? Or did this rule change come later? It sure makes game play much easier!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It came later, for precisely that reason. I was sceptical at first, now that I'm used to it, I think it was a good decision.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.