5 Posts

Cosmic Encounter» Forums » General

Subject: Help learning the game. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steram Shaw
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi, I've just picked up this game after a year of debating whether or not it would get played in our group, is this game available anywhere online so I can get the rules nailed down, I've read the rules, think I understand them, but there's nothing like actually trying the game out 1st to make sure I know exactly how to play it myself, I once tried to teach a different game, which I thought I understood, after reading the rules a couple of times, and it fell flat as I constantly had to refer to the rules and here to look up certain things. I really want this game to work but I do feel when someone teaches a game and it's constantly stopping you get put off it.
Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Homer Simpson
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend watching this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAGdKMMnk-U

You can also try to find some other videos like this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dapperghast Meowregard
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You can also just try playing the game itself on your own. Obviously you're not gonna get the full experience, especially with Cosmic, but it's a good way to get a general handle on the rules. Also the reference sheet on the back of the instructions is actually incredibly handy for your first couple of games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Albertsen
United States
Onalaska
WI
flag msg tools
badge
Always stomped, never the stomper...
mbmbmbmbmb
I've taught this game many times and the best way to learn is honestly to just start playing it. Just make sure to go through every phase slowly and give people (and yourself) time to play cards that happen in a particular phase. Play the first game without flare cards and with green aliens only and you'll be just fine... in this way everyone can learn the game on the fly.

What I do for new players is just announce each phase, and then explain what's about to happen in this phase (Okay, this phase is 'Destiny' and in this phase I reveal the top Destiny card to determine which player I have an encounter with. Now we go to the 'Launch' phase, where I choose which planet to encounter, then commit 1 to 4 of my ships to the encounter. etc)

I find this is the best way to learn the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
si Mon
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Also it's good to print out some of the very good cheat sheet you can find here on BGG, especially the ones describing the different phases and their order. Don't be cheap and print out one for every player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.