Subject: Help me choose: Intro packs, duel packs, VS or clash rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Johannes Stål
Sweden
Örebro
ÖREBRO
flag msg tools
For no one - no one in this world can you trust. Not men, not women, not beasts. This you can trust.
badge
What is best in life?
mbmbmbmbmb
I want a bunch of decks at home were we can grab 2 random decks and just play with a friend (No deckbuilding to start with). Thinking of ...

A. Getting a bunch of start/intro packs

B. Getting the Duel Decks, VS and Clash Packs

What would you choose and why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you have enough Magic experience to do any deckbuilding yourself? I don't find that any of WotC's precons do a good job of what you're describing.

If not, then I'd buy a bunch of Intro Decks from the same release, try those out, and think about improving them from there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virre Linwendil Annergård
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
Steelman wrote:
I want a bunch of decks at home were we can grab 2 random decks and just play with a friend (No deckbuilding to start with). Thinking of ...

A. Getting a bunch of start/intro packs

B. Getting the Duel Decks, VS and Clash Packs

What would you choose and why?

I rather thing Duel Decks would be good. They certanly is designed for htat purpose. (And the anthlogys will be nice but not out yet.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Stål
Sweden
Örebro
ÖREBRO
flag msg tools
For no one - no one in this world can you trust. Not men, not women, not beasts. This you can trust.
badge
What is best in life?
mbmbmbmbmb
I also own a couple of the commander 2013 decks, but i have not tried them 2 player. Do you recommend that for casual play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
virre wrote:
I rather think Duel Decks would be good. They certainly are designed for that purpose.

Each pair is designed to play well as a pair, but they're not designed to create a group of decks with playable matchups between them. Of course, you can play them all that way if you want, but some of the card choices will seem bizarre if you're playing them out of context. If you're not picky about deck design this could be fine, but I don't think it would paint an accurate picture of good Magic gameplay.

Steelman wrote:
I also own a couple of the commander 2013 decks, but i have not tried them 2 player. Do you recommend that for casual play?

Depends what you mean by casual. I think they're great precons - some of WotC's best work. But Commander is pretty overwhelming for someone that doesn't play Magic much - lots of big, crazy effects and complicated board states. If "casual play" just means "not deckbuilding" but with regular players, then the Commander decks are great. But I wouldn't want to use them with newbies or folks that only play Magic twice a year.

If you don't mind some eBay hunting, I think the old Theme Decks (the precursor to the current Intro Decks) were a better product for casual, preconstructed play. Some were better than others, but I thought they usually kept to a tighter design than most of the Intro Decks do. They used to be readily available on eBay for reasonable prices, but they're getting rather old now and I'm not sure what availability would be like in Sweden either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Raagaard
Denmark
Vejle
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I got started playing Magic by getting the Heroes vs. Monsters Duel Deck. They play very well against each other and use a pretty extensive set of keywords and mechanics. We mostly play board games and the Duel Deck is more or less like a complete game in a box.

Later we have picked up a bunch of Intro decks from M14 and the Theros block. Compared to other constructed decks they are probably not all that good, but they play well against each other and most of them have fairly distinctive themes which is nice for beginners like us. For instance, the Red-Black deck from Journey into Nyx features a minotaur horde, while the Black-Red deck from M14 centers around sacrificing your own creatures.

Also, the Intro decks come with two booster packs, so you get a few extra cards to experiment with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My son and I also started with the Heroes vs. Monsters duel decks and then picked up the five M15 Intro Packs. The duel decks are fun against each other but I think the intro decks are a better way to get a small collection of decks that will give you exposure all of the colors and several different play styles. Sure, they may not be competitive at FNM, but whatever, they're still loads of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Stål
Sweden
Örebro
ÖREBRO
flag msg tools
badge
What is best in life?
mbmbmbmbmb
Great replies, It seems to me that picking up some intro packs is the way to go. Maybe throw in a duel deck just for fun now and then, but start with some intro decks. Any suggestion on where to start there? Khans? M14? M15?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniël Muilwijk
Netherlands
Zeist
Utrecht
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to give you a different option (one I prefer).

I like to build multiple casual decks from recent sets with the intention to play them against each other (so I aim for similar power level). For that purpose I recently bought cards from the new set Khans of Tarkir and build some decks from those. It seems you are looking for similar decks, so I thought I should give you a way to obtain those.

To build those decks, I just bought the following from magiccardmarket.eu:

- 4 sets of commons from Khans of Tarkir (which means each of the common cards from the Khans of Tarkir set which was just released, four times, so 4x 101 = 404 cards)
- 2 sets of uncommons from Khans of Tarkir (2x 80 = 160 cards)
- some rares I liked (33 different rares)
- 6 sets of basic lands from Khans of Tarkir (each set has 4 lands of each type, so 4 plains, 4 islands and so on; so 6x 20 = 120 cards)
- some extremely cheap special common lands from Khans of Tarkir which I wanted to include in multiple decks, so I needed additional copies (4x Jungle Hollow, 4x Scoured Barrens, 4x Swiftwater Falls, 4x Thornwood Falls, 4x Wind-Scarred Crag)

All of this for 57,80 euro, including shipping (in fact, 19,44 of that were shipping costs). That's a little more than the price of all 5 intro packs from Khans of Tarkir, while getting almost all the cards from those intro packs but way more cards. If you don't like the deck building part (or are intimidated by it) you can find the five decks I build with those cards here: http://deckstats.net/decks/2657/f5787/?lng=en.

I just checked, but if you skip the 9 most expensive rares, the price drops with 18,98 euro, so you have five excellent casual decks for less than 40 euros, delivered to your doorstep. They are better tuned than the intro packs and because of all the extra cards you get you'll always have the option to start with deck building yourself if you ever find the need to (but you don't have to at all!). (maybe shipping costs to Sweden differ a little bit from shipping costs to the Netherlands, but it shouldn't differ that much)

If you like this option, just let me know. I could help you ordering those cards for the cheapest price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.