si Mon
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I will get the japanese version as I live in Japan. I will also print out the zman rules for when i play with non japanese version.

I have the opportunity to buy the old version for half the price of the new one. And i'm tempted as I don't think I will play it that much. I would just be happy to take this game occasionaly as the narrator and I have friends wonder abiut the puzzle. It would be so even possible I never gonpast the three first scripts. i checked on the bakafire site and the new version is essentially more beautiful with a revamped board and two faces tokens. It also bring 9 new roles but as I stated, I think I won't play them. The new version seems to be the one used by z-man. Or even the japanese version was revamped for the international version.

So two questions: would it be possible to use the zman rules qith the old version ?
What would you advice me to do?

I'm on budget for gaming and the difference between 2400 yens and 5400 is quite high. I can buy tragedy looper and for exemple kimg of new-york for the price of the new version...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
With no knowledge of how the previous version was designed, I'd say you're perfectly fine with the old version. The difference is probably the cheat sheet design, and whatever scripts are included in the set. Also, you said that Kai had 9 more characters (?), which means the old version only had 9, but if you're only to play a couple of times, then it won't matter.

The only thing where you'll run into trouble is if you want to use scripts that use a character that you don't have. Or if a character in your set has another Goodwill ability from Kai – that will mean that the script might become unbalanced.

But technically, new roles and incidents and stuff, you don't have to worry and they're not relying on components. It's just the character cards that actually matter, so you should be OK as long as you don't try a script with characters that you don't have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
si Mon
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank you for the kind answer. People named simon are usually very nice persons, i can tell from experiencecool

I suspected that only character cards where important as far as you have the action cards, the tokens and the board. 2500 yens for 9 character cards is definetly too expensive for me. Do yiu know if any expansion can bring new characters to the table ? I can't see how far I will go with this game. I really like the theme but I have big concerns with the long term interest of it. This is very different than the games we enjoy in my group. We don't play narrative game and if I can see that this is not a real narrative game i am worried that the mechanic is meaty enough t please my friends. If i happen to buy the old version I will try to give some feedback on it !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Maurasse
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Tragedy Looper/Sangeki RoopeR X also had completely redone components compared to the original Sangeki RoopeR, including character spawns and restrictions printed on the board. Finally, the Basic Tragedies sheet is replaced by Basic Tragedies X which has different Roles and Plots on it.

The new version is really really good, honestly. I don't think I'd spring for the original, even at half off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
si Mon
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
would you say that the game has enough replayability to be a regular game ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ennui
United States
Peachtree City
Georgia
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Broken Loose wrote:
Tragedy Looper/Sangeki RoopeR X also had completely redone components compared to the original Sangeki RoopeR, including character spawns and restrictions printed on the board. Finally, the Basic Tragedies sheet is replaced by Basic Tragedies X which has different Roles and Plots on it.

The new version is really really good, honestly. I don't think I'd spring for the original, even at half off.

Oh, so that's why the scenario books are no longer in print...

I got the book of intro scenarios recently, would that book be compatible with the US version of the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
si Mon
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
All the books and expansions seems to be compatible with both versions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
si Mon
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just a quick update to say I ended up buying the kai versio I will try to give some feedbacks on the japanese version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.