Popular Tags: [View All]
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Qi Maximums:

Can Qi be boosted above the starting level, or merely returned to that level. I vaguely remember the former, but have to ask as I couldn't find it in the book.

2. Circle of Prayer:

I know the initial token comes from the supply, but does any exchanged token also come from the supply, or could it come from a player's holdings?

I suspect it too is from the supply, but again I had to ask.

3. There is a cardboard piece that stands up in my box. It has a lock symbol and is illustrated with the various themes of the tokens (rice, etc). When last I played this, I knew exactly its purpose, but today I drew blanks.

The only (ONLY) mention I saw of it in the manual was a visual one -- I didn't even notice it in the components list. Is this mentioned in the manual at all? What exactly is its purpose?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hill
United Kingdom
Fareham
HAMPSHIRE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
Oddly we played this last night, admittedly we struggled to learn the game initially from the rule book but have been playing it as such for around 30 or so plays –

1. – Can obtain any number of QI tokens – probably wrong but the game is hard enough already
2. – Comes from the supply – although I guess from players supply makes a little more sense
3. – There are a number of ghosts which block the use of any tokens being played to help banish any other ghosts, when these come into play we typically put that standee in the centre tile to remind us. Once that ghost has been banished we can use tokens again, it sort of works like a ghost which holds onto one of your dice.

Hope this is of some help,
Dan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. The rules state there is no maximum to the amount of Qi you can have. Exceeding your starting Qi is not unusual.

2. From the supply. Also, when changing the color the old token is placed back into the supply.

3. I know which piece you mean but I also don't know. Might have to do with an Incarnation blocking the use of Tao tokens...?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hildan wrote:

3. – There are a number of ghosts which block the use of any tokens being played to help banish any other ghosts, when these come into play we typically put that standee in the centre tile to remind us. Once that ghost has been banished we can use tokens again, it sort of works like a ghost which holds onto one of your dice.

I think this is right but I don't have the rules in front of me. Please note that some Ghosts' power refers only to when you're fighting THAT ghost, not all ghosts. I'm uncertain about the Ghost power you describe, but you might be right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Link
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Back off, man! I'm a Scientist!
badge
All hail El Goblino!
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:

3. There is a cardboard piece that stands up in my box. It has a lock symbol and is illustrated with the various themes of the tokens (rice, etc). When last I played this, I knew exactly its purpose, but today I drew blanks.

The only (ONLY) mention I saw of it in the manual was a visual one -- I didn't even notice it in the components list. Is this mentioned in the manual at all? What exactly is its purpose?

It sounds like this is the token you put on the Black Widow to remind you that you can't use tokens from your supply until you defeat her.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, this tokens purpose is merely to have a clear visual on the board in order to not forget that tao tokens are banned at the moment. I don't know if its in the rules, but it sounds like an afterthought, when playtesters report that they always forget this ability because of the many ghosts out, or that they thought that it only counts against the Black Widow.
The "steal a die" ability is easier maintainable, as you simply put the die on the ghost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Slonk wrote:

It sounds like this is the token you put on the Black Widow to remind you that you can't use tokens from your supply until you defeat her.

Thank you! Like I said above, I used to feel I knew (and suspected it had to do with a card in the deck), but wasn't sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why is Mr. Craft getting so many thumbs when his first two answers are incorrect? It's not against the rules and the tokens DO come from and go back to the supply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DreamStorm wrote:
Why is Mr. Craft getting so many thumbs when his first two answers are incorrect? It's not against the rules and the tokens DO come from and go back to the supply.

Well, one because he was being helpful. First replies definitely get love, as I don't expect anybody to ever be compelled into reply.

But, more importantly, he was correct. The first part of his reply, before the hyphen, was the core of his intent. The bit about "this might be wrong" was merely a commentary on uncertainty, and I'll take somebody willing to admit uncertainty over an egotist any day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:
I'll take somebody willing to admit uncertainty over an egotist any day.

me, too
But honestly: I'll take somebody who is sure about his answers over someone who is willing to admit uncertainty any day.
No offense to Mr. Craft here
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevin Beattie
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anduin wrote:
Anarchosyn wrote:
I'll take somebody willing to admit uncertainty over an egotist any day.

me, too
But honestly: I'll take somebody who is sure about his answers over someone who is willing to admit uncertainty any day.
No offense to Mr. Craft here

That’s why I prefer, and always try to give, answers which quote the applicable passages in the rules.

Rule book, page 3 (under Qi Points) wrote:
A Taoist may possess more Qi points than at the begining of the game, limited to the number of Qi tokens in the supply.

Village Tiles Play Aid (under Circle of Prayer) wrote:
Place a Tao token from the supply on this tile, or perform an exchange with the one already present.

(implies "from the supply" in the exchange)

Rule book, page 11 (under Dark Mistress) wrote:
Upon its arrival in the game and until its destruction, this incarnation prevents the Taoists from using Tao tokens (put the Inactive Tao marker on the board).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:
1. Qi Maximums:

Can Qi be boosted above the starting level, or merely returned to that level. I vaguely remember the former, but have to ask as I couldn't find it in the book.
You can go above your starting level, but you're constrained by components limitations. For example, in a 4p game on Initiate level, each Taoist starts off with 4 Qi. Unless something changes, there's only 4 Qi left in supply/reserves collectively for everyone.

Anarchosyn wrote:
2. Circle of Prayer:

I know the initial token comes from the supply, but does any exchanged token also come from the supply, or could it come from a player's holdings?

I suspect it too is from the supply, but again I had to ask.
Has to be from supply. IIRC, the description of this village tile doesn't state it can come from a player.

Anarchosyn wrote:

Thanks.
It's a reminder that Tao Tokens (TT) are locked via a ghost ability. I use the blank stand as a current player marker otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And just to reinforce the rule about the Circle of Prayer - if all 4 tao tokens of a particular colour are in players hands - not the supply - then the circle of prayer CAN'T be set to that colour.

For example, when playing the "Intro" level difficulty, all 4 players start with a black tao token - so the Circle of Prayer can't be set to black until they've slain at least one black ghost.

(And remember if a ghost is killed outright using a dice roll, you can't optionally substitute in tokens just to return them to supply)

Makes it tricky? Yes.

(Often when playing Pandemic I find that people have missed big rules like how to trade cards or how the Researcher works. They complain "but that makes the game harder!" ... err yes? and?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.