Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sweden
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

We are a group that play boardgames about once every other month. we usually play about 2-3 games per occasion and we do not play the same game more then 2-3 times(usually). If the game have been really fun we could take it up years later but its not often.

This means that for the most part we will not have much experience with each game that we play.

So the question is, will a game like Fire in the Lake work with this?

What Im concern with is that some of the fractions is a bit harder to play if you dont have experience in the game. This will probably result in a unbalanced game maybe even for the second time?

Waht do you think about this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Guttag
United States
West Chester
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Snowjim,

As a playtester, and as much as I love FITL, playing it only 2-3 times per year at most is probably not going to work for your board game group. For those who really like it, FITL is a game that will be played many times each month. In particular, there are 120 Event Cards in the combined deck, and for 2-3 plays you're likely not to see all of the Cards. (If you play the Short or Medium Scenarios, you'll only see, at most 24 or 48 of that Cards of each deck.) Also, learning the rules of FITL is a time investment, and if you're only going to play it say 2-3 times per year at best, there are other games that would be more fitting for your board game group. I could be wrong, but that's my 2 cents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Reisinger
msg tools
mbmb
I agree with Eric. FitL is the type of game that rewards multiple plays. Ive played it 4 times now and The lightbulb just turned on during our last match as far as tactics/ strategy is concerned.

Our first couple of games my opponent and I basically just traded taking events, the game was long and drawn out and I was left feeling a little deflated after how great I anticipated the game to be. But after each successive play the little nuances of the game slowly appeared. Figuring out that not taking, or blocking events was just as important as taking them. Playing to restrict your opponent to a Limited Operation is hugely powerful and as our understanding of the gameplay deepens so does the enjoyment of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kaufman
United States
Rosemead
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
I agree with the others, but I think FitL will change your boardgame group and you will end up playing it multiple times like the rest of us. Our group typically moves on like you describe, but this one won't get off the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all! I will take this game up for discussion in the group as see if they are willing to invest some extra time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Snowjim wrote:
We are a group that play boardgames about once every other month. we usually play about 2-3 games per occasion and we do not play the same game more then 2-3 times(usually).

There's no way I would want to invest the nontrivial time and effort to learn the rules of this game (a more fundamental concern than game balance or worrying about learning good strategies for each faction) if I expected to play the game only at most 2 or 3 times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. Fowler
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
We provide...
badge
The rich and powerful take what they want. We steal it back for you.
mbmbmbmbmb
To put up an analogy: this game is like walking around in the dark. The first couple of plays have you stumbling, reaching out for hand holds and using your shins as furniture finders. As time passes, you tend to get a feel for the game and your eyes adjust to seeing opportunities as they arise.

If you're really interested in the game, it plays wonderfully over e-mail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.