Andrew Albertsen
United States
Onalaska
WI
flag msg tools
badge
Always stomped, never the stomper...
mbmbmbmbmb
So the Cosmic Zap zaps a use of the alien power. Must you zap an alien at the specific time of the use?

Example from last night, one of the players was Hate. Do you have to zap Hate right at the start of turn? Or can you zap Hate AFTER the player discards a card (thus seeing what card is discarded before zapping)?

I'm guessing if you allow Hate to discard, you've already allowed that player to go through with the power, and thus cannot zap it.

Same goes for Leviathan. If Leviathan has launched a worldship, and both main players finished the alliance phase and revealed attack cards... can the defense at that moment zap Leviathan sending the worldship home (after seeing attack cards)? My gut says you cannot do this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
IMHO, the player should announce the (immediately upcoming) use of the character power, whether mandatory or optional, and you can use the Cosmic Zap right then to prevent it. (And then Card Zap the Cosmic Zap to prevent the preventing of use.)

However, there are a few cases where this activation of power is in a different phase than the actual effect of the power. I guess, you should Zap the activation and not the effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mil Myman
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you have to zap the power as it is being used, even if the effects of that use happen later. However, you are allowed to see and know how that power is being used, when relevant.

For example, you don't zap Vacuum when he says, "I'm going to use my power." You can wait until he specifies *who* he's using the power on.

Likewise, you should be able to see the card Hate discards for the use of his power, before you decide whether to zap him. If he is zapped, he simply takes the card back into his hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
Generally, powers should be zapped at the part of the power where it says use on the sheet - in particular, before any costs are paid. However, in some cases it is generally agreed that non-cost "targets" should be announced before zaps are played. So you'd have to zap the Hate before a card is discarded, but you could zap the Vacuum after the Vacuum decides whom to harm with its power.

e: beaten like a Macron in a Shadow game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, the two of you disagreed on Hate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Albertsen
United States
Onalaska
WI
flag msg tools
badge
Always stomped, never the stomper...
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know... to me it seems like it wouldn't be fair to the Hate player, to see the card before zapping it. Yes they get the card back, but we've all seen it. Sometimes it doesn't matter as much, say if Hate decided to discard a Negotiate. But in our game she discarded a Kicker x2. Seems like she would've been at a disadvantage if we were allowed to see that, zap it, then know exactly what she had. But if the general consensus is that that's legal, that's fine by me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dapperghast Meowregard
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm inclined to say that Hate can't be zapped once he discards a card (Provided he gave people sufficient time to respond obvi), but that's mostly my instincts as a Magic player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.