3 Posts

Firefly: The Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Career Bonuses to Jobs and Ship Upgrades rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ReverendKilljoy recently posted a great thread with some fantastic upgrades, which you can find here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1249980/upgradepalooza

Among those are upgrades for the careers that offfer bonuses (Companion, Solider, etc) that let you double the bonus. My first thought was "I love these!" My second - since I can't leave well-enough alone - was "How can I fiddle with them?"

That got me thinking a little about what do job job bonuses mean, exactly? I mean, sure, they provide a payoff bonus, but why?

Before I dig into my rambling thoughts, a quick overview of how Rev's lean-and-mean version works: Each upgrade costs $1000. It lets you double the bonus you receive, so for you a Mechanic, you get a second part, for a Companion or Grifter, you get $1000 rather than $500, etc.

Nice and clean. I love the core concept because it has great synergy with what I'm trying to do with ACES & EIGHTS.

So I started looking at the bonuses and what they might mean...

COMPANION

Offers a bonus on 27 jobs. Relatively evenly distributed across all 6 contacts, various job types, and Legal vs Illegal (a slight bias toward Illegal, Crime, and Shipping). A majority (about 60%) have Negotiate or Fancy Duds as a requirement. With only a handful of exceptions in BLUE SUN, they all start or end in Alliance Space. All Jobs are Moral.

Thematically, most of the jobs seem to involve wealthy folks and many explicitly mention a party or other event. Most of the others are about negotiations.

In summary, getting extra coin for having a Companion onboard doesn't seem to come from the Companion playing her trade, but rather from the Companion offering an air of class and respectability, or possibly opening doors more easily.

GRIFTER

24 Jobs, slightly biased toward Badger and Niska (Patience is barely represented, and Harken not at all). Not surprisingly, there is a bias toward Smuggling and Crime. 5 Jobs are Legal and 5 (different ones) are Immoral). Most have either Negotiate as a requirement, or Wheel & Deal/Negotiate as a requirement to get paid. With 3 exceptions (all Moral Crime Jobs for Niska), these Jobs either begin or end in Border Space.

Flavor-wise, the names often imply negotiation, but, unlike the Companion Jobs (and not surprisingly), the tone is more about misdirection. Crime jobs are just as likely to target conning a person as stealing goods. The smuggling jobs seem to be about setting up networks or knowing the right people.

Grifter bonuses come from shady connections and confidence schemes.

MECHANIC

16 Jobs, most for Harken and Amnon Duul (Patience is not represented; Niska and Badger have 1 Job each). About half are Shipping Jobs. Not surprisingly, most have Tech as a requirement. Most are Legal; only 1 is Immoral.

Thematically, most jobs reference delivering, stealing, or servicing high tech gear, with a secondary them of hauling scrap.

Mechanic bonuses in general seem to come from scavenging (maybe keeping the old parts after servicing or keeping some second-rate scrap for yourself) or possibly petty theft. Maybe while deliving, a box "falls off the back of the ship."

MEDIC

The smallest bonus category, with only 14 Jobs. Amnon Duul is best represented, Badger & Patience barely at all. Harrow is absent. 9 of 14 Jobs are Legal, and 9 are Transport Jobs. Only 3 are Immoral -- and they all happen to be for Niska. Interestingly, most jobs begin or end in Border Space (with 6 starting at the Space Bazaar).

Most jobs reference common folks, either transporting them (the majority of the time) or delivering goods to them. A handful of jobs reference medical expertise (either in transporting a sick passenger or knowing what to steal when you hit the hospital).

There are exceptions, but Medic bonuses seem to come largely from treating passengers (I would assume a decent contact would pay extra to have medical coverage for their people) or upon arrival.

SOLDIER

Soldier bonuses are the most prominent: 47 Jobs (out of a total of 200 "normal" Jobs, to put it in perspective). All six contacts are represented, with Patience and Harken most prominent, and Harrow and Niska least. About a third of jobs are Legal, and about a third are Immoral (including most of Harken's). More than half have Fight or gear like Firearms as a requirement.

Crime is the most prevalent job type, but all are represented. Most of the Crime jobs are about robberies or shootouts. Smuggling and Shipping Jobs are tougher to quantify, but most seem to be about protecting valuable goods.The 3 Tasks have "riot suppression" in the name most of the Transport Jobs are about moving people who may not want to be moved (these Jobs are largely Immoral, too).

Although they're the toughest to quantify, most Soldier Jobs seem to reward someone who is quick with a gun, and (since Mercs don't get the same bonus) perhaps smart enough to know when to shoot.

So what does all this mean? Not sure. There's a lot to digest. If you made it this far, thanks for hanging out while I think out loud... or at least onscreen...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C David Dent
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Don't forget there are Salvage Ops for your Mechanics in all three navigation decks which could be considered a "professional" bonus.

There is also a mMerc penalty in the Misbehave deck for when your Mercs outnumber your non-merc crew.

Is that doubled too?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Savage
Austria
Vienna
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hadn't thought about the job bonuses in this detail before, but I see that you're right and they bonuses do make sense!

It is funny how there's immoral missions with a medic bonus - but I guess even immoral people are happy to have a medic around and don't care how they feel about what they're doing.

I've got a Firefly game scheduled for tonight with one new player - I'll definitely be explaining the job bonuses using your points above, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.