Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter de Boer
Austria
Velden
Carinthia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the first edition, and the rules imply that the winning bidder can buy multiple opinion cards for the bid price.
The rules also say that he must choose one of the opinion cards to publish.

I do not understand this completely.
How is the number of opinion cards that is auctioned determined?
If it is determined by the buyer, what rule would hinder him to just buy a lot of them and choose the best one?

I think the question is: What is the rule supposed to be?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
The rule is clear. You can bid on as many opinion polls as one wants but one can only publish one. Each poll is auctioned separately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bachman
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This must have changed for the 2nd edition. No limit is listed for 2nd edition.

What is the exact verbiage of the rule in the 1st edition?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
The rule is clear. You can bid on as many opinion polls as one wants but one can only publish one. Each poll is auctioned separately.
Really? I have never seen that rule, but I suppose we play with an English set of rules (probably the Valley Games ones), but a German copy of the game. I will have to check my translated rules versus the Valley Games rules and see if that section is different. We have always played that each opinion poll may be published, but often the catch phrase "The people don't need to know" is bandied about.

There is one opinion poll per electorate and each one is auctioned individually. The way we have been playing it is that after the auction the winner decides whether or not to publish or suppress and then we move on to the next electorate. Assuming someone was allowed to win multiple auctions, we have not limited them in publishing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blum
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
I checked the official English rules for the second edition and the only available English rules for the first edition (as far as I know they are the only ones available, anyway). I did not check the Valley edition rules.

In the first edition rules one auction is conducted for each region in play. The winner of an auction may buy any number of poll cards, paying the bid amount for each, but must choose how many to buy before seeing any of them. They then choose to publish one or none of the polls. They do not get anything if they don't publish.

In the second edition the winner of each auction only buys one poll card and can publish it or not. If they don't publish they get some other benefit I forget and didn't check.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter de Boer
Austria
Velden
Carinthia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rule text in my rulebook is:

"Der Spieler mit dem höchsten Gebot erwirbt eine oder auch mehrere Umfragekarten für dieses Land".

Underlining is from the rulebook.
I would translate this to:

"The player with the winning bid gets one or more opinion cards for this region".

A few sentences later:

"Dann entscheider der Käufer, ob er eine dieser Umfragen veröffentlichen will".

Again underlining from the rulebook.
Translation:

"Then the buyer decides of he wants to publish one of these opinion cards".

At the end of the section it is just mentioned that the cards which are not published are discarded together with the published card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
tool wrote:
I checked the official English rules for the second edition and the only available English rules for the first edition (as far as I know they are the only ones available, anyway). I did not check the Valley edition rules.

In the first edition rules one auction is conducted for each region in play. The winner of an auction may buy any number of poll cards, paying the bid amount for each, but must choose how many to buy before seeing any of them. They then choose to publish one or none of the polls. They do not get anything if they don't publish.

In the second edition the winner of each auction only buys one poll card and can publish it or not. If they don't publish they get some other benefit I forget and didn't check.
The benefit is something like 1 die of party members isn't it?

Wow, that is a huge difference between the two editions.

I will have to workshop this with our group of regulars to see which one we shall play in future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter de Boer
Austria
Velden
Carinthia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tool wrote:

Paying the bid amount for each would make sense! Is that the way it is described in the English rules? Since it is not clear from the German rules.
Anyway, I think I will play it with that rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blum
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
weisswurst wrote:
tool wrote:

Paying the bid amount for each would make sense! Is that the way it is described in the English rules? Since it is not clear from the German rules.
Anyway, I think I will play it with that rule.

Yes, it is clear in the English rules. Are you sure there is not another sentence in the German rules that mentions this? I do not think the German rules for the first edition are online anywhere.

ETA: The English rules are here (among other places): http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/16310/die-macher1986pdf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blum
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Karlsen wrote:
tool wrote:

The benefit is something like 1 die of party members isn't it?

Wow, that is a huge difference between the two editions.

I will have to workshop this with our group of regulars to see which one we shall play in future.

If you're playing second or third (Valley) edition I don't see any reason to use the first edition rule. There were a lot of other changes between first and second edition, so there's no reason to think the first edition rule would work well in a later edition. (First edition was the one in the blue box that was limited to four players, just so we're clear.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.