Android: Netrunner» Forums » Rules

Subject: Chum by itself rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anthony Torres
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Two noobs were playing and the corp played Chum as the only ice protecting a server.

Does chum do anything by itself?

I noticed a lot of chatter about it with femme fatale, but nothing really about itself. So here's my questions.

1) I suppose am a little confuses at the ability to even interact with an ice. What if I don't have a code gate style card does it still affect me.

2)Will it do anything by itself or does it need a card following it to work. If the runner can't bypass "break" the subs on the next card they will get 3 net damage?

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
Chum by itself does nothing. It triggers, but there is no next piece of ice that the runner could not break all subroutines of, so it doesn't increase any strength nor do net damage. Since ice without "end the run" subroutines don't end the run, the runner can just run through.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Torres
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Thanks a bunch. That's what we thought!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hao Ming Lim
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can Chum the Chum if you really wanted.

The 2nd Chum will get boosted to Str6, and you will very likely hit the runner for 3 net damage.

Useful for Jinteki as Fetal AI, Snare are in faction. Most runners will jack out after taking 3 net.

Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
Brevity exceeds allocated space
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem is it's not worded perfectly. Chum's second sentence is:
Quote:
Do 3 net damage unless the Runner breaks all subroutines on that piece of ice.

It's not a disingenuous reading to think the two sentences can be decoupled. In that reading, Chum would increase the strength of the next ice and have a high potential to cause damage, OR if used as the last/only ice, would not strengthen anything but would do 3 net damage.

That interpretation, however, would make it quite too strong for its rez cost.

Instead, the two sentences should have been combined such as "The next piece of ice the Runner encounters during this run has +2 strength, and the Runner takes 3 net damage unless he breaks all subroutines on that piece of ice."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeny Reznikov
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Keithustus wrote:
The problem is it's not worded perfectly. Chum's second sentence is:
Quote:
Do 3 net damage unless the Runner breaks all subroutines on that piece of ice.

It's not a disingenuous reading to think the two sentences can be decoupled. In that reading, Chum would increase the strength of the next ice and have a high potential to cause damage, OR if used as the last/only ice, would not strengthen anything but would do 3 net damage.

That interpretation, however, would make it quite too strong for its rez cost.

Instead, the two sentences should have been combined such as "The next piece of ice the Runner encounters during this run has +2 strength, and the Runner takes 3 net damage unless he breaks all subroutines on that piece of ice."

I don't see how "that piece of ice" can be decoupled in any way from the previous sentence, no matter how lenient is your reading of Chum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Wray
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I don't see how "that piece of ice" can be decoupled in any way from the previous sentence, no matter how lenient is your reading of Chum.

It would be a pronoun without an antecedent. My son does it all the time, but it is anathema to clarity.

Quite aside from that, we all know it's pointless to be a chum all by yourself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Morris
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cynchwyrm wrote:
Quote:

It would be a pronoun without an antecedent. My son does it all the time, but it is anathema to clarity.

Quite aside from that, we all know it's pointless to be a chum all by yourself.

Actually, this usage of "that" is the adjective version, qualifying "piece of ice" as the one previously mentioned, which in this case is quite clear. It has the "antecedent" which is directly in the previous sentence: "The next piece of ice."

*pushes up glasses, then dies a little*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Wray
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Actually, this usage of "that" is the adjective version, qualifying "piece of ice" as the one previously mentioned, which in this case is quite clear. It has the "antecedent" which is directly in the previous sentence: "The next piece of ice."

*pushes up glasses, then dies a little*

Quite. My comment was affirming that the sentences couldn't be decoupled and make any sense, particularly because of the use of the pronoun. It would be problematic at that point to claim one effect/resolution wasn't related to the other.

Apparently when I was speaking about how decoupling the sentences would be unclear, I wasn't very clear. *fail* shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.