7 Posts

Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: What is supposed to be secret? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ecosmith Ecosmith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Secret objectives, yes, clearly. What elee? Can I say 'i have 2 Fuel, 1 food and some junk. Ok, I'm searching. Ah, I found a colt and a gas station blueprint'?

Eco
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ecosmith wrote:
Secret objectives, yes, clearly. What elee? Can I say 'i have 2 Fuel, 1 food and some junk. Ok, I'm searching. Ah, I found a colt and a gas station blueprint'?

Eco

Yes, all of that is legal.

I tell my players they can't show their cards, but they are free to discuss them. This leaves open the option to lie, which you will most certainly wish to do, yet blocks the "well, just show me" challenge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Sitz
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We play that you can talk about your item cards and your potential to contribute to a crisis as much as you want, but no one has to believe you. We stop short of actually showing people cards unless it says specifically to reveal them (like with Gabriel Diaz' special ability). No one is required to talk, but it facilitates passing crisis cards and contributing to the main objective, just as we might say, "I'll search the Grocery Store, don't risk exposure." Or since I often play with someone new, when they're about to move, I'll often say, "If you don't have fuel, you know that you can request it, right?"

I probably lean more cooperatively than other posters here, but that's how we handle it. We've had a string of colony victories, often with all, or all but one player winning... in non-betrayer games. I've only beaten a betrayer once.

We've bent the rules a couple times towards the very end with regards to secret objectives. Someone asked me point-blank, "have you completed yours?" To which I replied, "well, it depends on what [the last player] does." The guy asking me the question deduced that I had the Hoarder yet again. (4 times now)! It was after we had both taken our last actions, so there wasn't any way he could act on that knowledge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Wood
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the problem that people sort of reveal their objectives without directly saying it. "Hold on I need to get fuel" "I know these barricades don't help us but I have to do this"

The worst is people say things like "Don't end the game! I haven't finished my objective" Then I feel like a jerk if I end it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's my only real problem with the game. I dislike having to tell players that they can say some things but not others, and that it can be a gray area. And the players aren't generally trying to mess things up, but it's difficult to monitor what you are saying all the time, especially when discussions happen so often.

We had one situation where a player picked up the crisis cards and shuffled them up before revealing them to see if we had passed the crisis or not. One of the other players said, "I put something special in there for you, Joe." Joe revealed the cards and they were all the same, except one. I forget what it was, but it was some kind of inside joke that we all got. We laughed, but then we realized that the player had just given us direct evidence of the card he had put in. If there had been a bad card in there, we would have known he didn't put it in, thereby narrowing down who the betrayer was.

Maybe this kind of thing just takes more practice, but it's a part of the game that feels a little frustrating to me, especially if some players just don't get how little things they say or joke about could be messing up the game.

Someday I want to try playing with no talking whatsoever, although that would really increase the difficulty of winning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Helland
msg tools
mbmbmb
TheOriginalJwoo wrote:
I have the problem that people sort of reveal their objectives without directly saying it. "Hold on I need to get fuel" "I know these barricades don't help us but I have to do this"

The worst is people say things like "Don't end the game! I haven't finished my objective" Then I feel like a jerk if I end it.
\

We had this come up the other night. My kid was begging me for a rifle so he could meet his objective.

I think the "glory hog" motive is desirable for game play. If I win the game alone, I am more of a winner than if I wait around for others to share a win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Carson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sticker wrote:
TheOriginalJwoo wrote:

\

We had this come up the other night. My kid was begging me for a rifle so he could meet his objective.

I think the "glory hog" motive is desirable for game play. If I win the game alone, I am more of a winner than if I wait around for others to share a win.

We sometimes do a "soft check" on agendas. Like, "game's almost over. How's everyone... doing?" Happiness assumes they are done with their goal. Worse case scenario, if someone seems to have failed their agenda, have the last player exile them for a chance at winning that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.