Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
20 Posts

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: jan and recon spec rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kyle A

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So this may have already been brought up and answered, but I was curious. Does the crew card Jan work with recon specialist? Can someone take 2 evades instead of the 2 focus? Opens some interesting options.

On a side note, has it been determined that Jan impacts the ship she is on?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse L
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
KickinAces wrote:
So this may have already been brought up and answered, but I was curious. Does the crew card Jan work with recon specialist? Can someone take 2 evades instead of the 2 focus? Opens some interesting options.

On a side note, has it been determined that Jan impacts the ship she is on?


As for Recon Specialist - Jan can turn one of the focus tokens into an evade, but since Jan (crew) states "Once Per Round" you cannot turn them both into evades.

As for Jan working on the ship she is on, nothing official has been put in the FAQ, but I seem to recall something in one of the news articles mentioning it working on the same ship. Personally, I don't think it should work since a ship cannot be at range of itself, but I guess we'll find out soon enough.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J H
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The range of/to yourself thing has come up a few times, but I'll recap the findings:

Lone Wolf breaks if you are range 1 of yourself.
A question was answered somewhere by one of the devs saying Targeting Computer err, Coordinator, sorry, works on its own ship because it doesn't use the word "another," meaning that each ship is at range of itself, somehow.
It looks like FFG may have made an error with the wording on LW.
Or less likely, made errors on Jan and Coordinator.
So, Jan (Crew) might (should?) work on herself.

In conclusion, the FAQ will tell! (hopefully...)

Cheers.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Graffam
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
From the rulebook, page 10: "To measure range, place the Range 1 end of the range ruler so that it touches the closest part of the attacker’s base. Then point the ruler toward the closest part of the target ship’s base that is inside the attacker’s firing arc. The lowest section (1, 2, or 3) of the ruler that overlaps the target ship’s base is considered the range between the ships."

Follow those instructions when using Jan Ors crew and you get your answer. Does the range ruler overlap any part of the ship carrying Jan Ors crew? No. So it is not at Range 1-3.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse L
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
DagobahDave wrote:
From the rulebook, page 10: "To measure range, place the Range 1 end of the range ruler so that it touches the closest part of the attacker’s base. Then point the ruler toward the closest part of the target ship’s base that is inside the attacker’s firing arc. The lowest section (1, 2, or 3) of the ruler that overlaps the target ship’s base is considered the range between the ships."

Follow those instructions when using Jan Ors crew and you get your answer. Does the range ruler overlap any part of the ship carrying Jan Ors crew? No. So it is not at Range 1-3.


I agree with this logic 100%, but the confusion lies with conflicting wording from FFG. Hopefully an FAQ ruling will come out and put this all to rest.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Graffam
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It is indeed a frequently asked question. I think this could all be cleared up with a ruling that a ship is not considered "friendly" to itself. This would eliminate the need to put the word "[an]other" when referring to friendly ships.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J H
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I also agree with you, Dave!

I brought this up when Lone Wolf was spoiled (http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1230776/lone-wolf-changed). JeffGrr quoted this from Frank:
JeffGrr wrote:
This was on the FFG forums. This is a response from one of the game designers about the "range 1 to yourself" question.

Hello,

In response to your rules question:

Rule Question:
With the Crew upgrade card "Targeting Coordinator", can you choose yourself? That is, can a corvette using Targeting Coordinator choose itself as a "friendly ship at Range 1-2"?

Thank you for your assistance,

Yes. A card would explicitly call out “choose another friendly ship” if you were not allowed to target yourself.

This is a way for a CR90 to acquire a target lock without spending an action (and just spending energy).

Thanks for asking,

Frank Brooks
Associate Creative Content Developer
Fantasy Flight Games


These cards all use essentially the same wording:
TCoord: "choose 1 friendly ship at Range 1-2."
LW: "if there are no friendly ships at Range 1-2"
Jan: "when a friendly ship at Range 1-3"

Someone over at AFM (http://www.afewmaneuvers.com/topic/2932-is-there-erratum-for...) cited the German Mos Eisley board with a quote from FFG saying that LW was misprinted...

Clearly, FFG made an error somewhere. But, as we know, they're notoriously tight-lipped when it comes to unreleased cards or the underlying rules...

Just have to wait for official errata. shake
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Nefstead
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Vallador wrote:
Someone over at AFM (http://www.afewmaneuvers.com/topic/2932-is-there-erratum-for...) cited the German Mos Eisley board with a quote from FFG saying that LW was misprinted...

I'm almost certain I've seen pretty much that same erratum somewhere else, quoted directly from FFG - Lone Wolf should say "no other friendly ships at range 1-2". If that's the case, then everything we've heard from FFG is entirely consistent, and Jan Ors applies to the ship carrying her.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Graffam
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, if Jan Ors can affect the ship carrying her, my tourney squad just got tougher. Bring on that FAQ update already.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Rose
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Newest FAQ finally clears this up at the very end of the file. A ship can be considered within range 1 of itself. So Jan can affect the ship she is riding on. Other cards depends on the use of "(an)other" friendly ship.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J H
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Well, there we have it!

LW also received its Erratum and all is right with the world.

Ya know, except for the definition of measuring range from Core Rules...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Beal
Australia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This combination may be a no brainer - but

If for example you had a BWing (Keyan)with Jan Ors crew - and separately a HWK (Roark) with a recon specialist

If the HWK action was to focus, recon specialist would then assign another focus

Can the HWK keep the first focus (its action), then the Jan Ors crew effect on the BWing take the assigned focus as an evade on the BWing instead ?


Or if Airen Cracken attacks - can he permit the BWing to do a free action - which it may choose to focus - then Jan makes it an evade?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Rik Biel wrote:
This combination may be a no brainer - but

If for example you had a BWing (Keyan)with Jan Ors crew - and separately a HWK (Roark) with a recon specialist

If the HWK action was to focus, recon specialist would then assign another focus

Can the HWK keep the first focus (its action), then the Jan Ors crew effect on the BWing take the assigned focus as an evade on the BWing instead ?


Or if Airen Cracken attacks - can he permit the BWing to do a free action - which it may choose to focus - then Jan makes it an evade?
yes.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Beal
Australia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok...and if being assigned an evade is different to performing an action

Could both possibly happen in the same round giving the BWing 2 evades?


Edit - Nope Jan card says once per round

Cheers
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Rik Biel wrote:
Ok...and if being assigned an evade is different to performing an action

Could both possibly happen in the same round giving the BWing 2 evades?


Edit - Nope Jan card says once per round

Cheers


No, but the Millennium Falcon could take an Evade action, then Push the Limit for a Focus action but instead receive an (second) Evade token via Jan Ors. If you also have Recon Spec, then that's 1 Focus and 2 Evade tokens on a Falcon.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Beal
Australia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If you had

Roark with Recon Splt
Falcon with Jan and C-3PO


Could C-3PO on the Falcon make it a third evade ?

- Roark action = focus - recon specilist makes that 2 focus received

- Jan on Falcon intercepts second focus for 1 evade assigned to the Falcon

- Falcon action is an evade - so it now has 2 evade tokens

- During combat - first attack defended C-3PO calls Zero and you get a third evade

So when defending against that first attack you could have three evades?

Not bad for a ship with 1 agility !!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Sperling
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
...so something like this:

Chewbacca+Push the Limit+Recon Specialist+C-3PO+Millennium Falcon (52 points)
Roark Garnet+Ion Cannon Turret+Jan Ors (26 points)
Blue Squadron Pilot (22 points)

Pretty light on damage, but will the MF ever be taken down?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Beal
Australia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My thought was to put Jan on the Falcon to keep her alive longer

If the Falcon uses PTL
Action 1 - Evade
Action 2 - Focus - Jan intercepts to assign an evade

Then C-3PO does his thing

Jan on the HWK will die before the Falcon
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Beal
Australia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
=====================
"Come Back Chewie !!"
=====================

100 points

Pilots
------

Chewbacca (51)
YT-1300 (42), Push the Limit (3), Jan Ors (2), Recon Specialist (3), Millennium Falcon (1)

Roark Garnet (24)
HWK-290 (19), Ion Cannon Turret (5)

Blue Squadron Pilot (25)
B-Wing (22), B-Wing/E2 (1), Han Solo (2)

------

View: http://xwing-builder.co.uk/view/140268/come-back-chewie-
Tweak: http://xwing-builder.co.uk/build/140268
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Sperling
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Rik Biel wrote:
My thought was to put Jan on the Falcon to keep her alive longer

If the Falcon uses PTL
Action 1 - Evade
Action 2 - Focus - Jan intercepts to assign an evade

Then C-3PO does his thing

Jan on the HWK will die before the Falcon


WIth Jan on the Falcon, you have to either lose C3PO or the recon specialist. With her on the rebel operative, Chewie can have 2 evade tokens, a focus, plus one guaranteed evade from C3PO.

I had thought of her getting gunned down early, but that's not necessarily a bad thing - you are turning the lowly rebel operative into a Biggs, while Chewie and the B-wing are taking out more important ships in the enemy squad. If they aren't careful, your opponent could be down a ship or two and still have to face a healthy (and very tough) Chewie along with a B-Wing.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.