Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This variant strengthens the Allies:

Russo-British Assault is now an Ops-Event card .

Do everything it says on the card, and then do 3 OPs. It is still true that you cannot fulfil the RU MO this impulse.

Me and Kevin Anderson have been playtesting this. Actually we started with an even stronger version in which the units on the beach-head can activate for movement if they want as well as combat and the OPs attacks could fulfil the MO. And obviously can do that if they want but I've given the variant in the simple form here.

Even in the simple form, R-B Assault is restored to "Guns-of-August" type status as an opening... but of course the price is stronger Allies- we had Russians in Mosul on turn 1 in one playtest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Anderson
United States
Elk Grove Village
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I felt this card should have been like this or at least similar almost from the beginning. It's not even a weak "must play" for many players now.
It always bugged me that the CP got a potential seven such cards to the AP's two.
Granted the CP's Jihad Supremacy and Indian Mutiny are hard to trigger, if you do then you've probably won the game anyway.
One of the AP's is Russian Winter Offensive so potentially might not even get played. Everyone out there has drawn it in a Spring turn at least once I'd bet.
Add to that the amount of more often than not "must play" AP Mobilization Events are far higher than the CP. Ideally I count nine to the CP's five. This gives the CP much more OPs and RP flexibility.

It makes the "Abadan Mandate" opening obsolete. A Secret Treaty move can be set up easily. Standard Assault players wouldn't complain and it helps out an "Alpha-Russian" opening I've been experimenting on (with mixed results) immensely.

Just adding yellow to that '3/4' in the corner of that card is a huge help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riidi WW
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
It honestly feels like an extra THREE ops on it is too good. Maybe an extra two?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
juerg haeberli
msg tools
How exately does this work?

a) Play R-B assault for event.
a1) TU fort is destroyed, beachhead troops advance.
a2) Do 3 ops.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Anderson
United States
Elk Grove Village
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Same as Pan-Turkism would. Full Event plus 3 more OPs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
juerg haeberli
msg tools
Not really helpfull Kevin.
The way Phillip wrote it you do whats on the card and then do 3 ops. I assume you destroy tke Fao fort, advance the beachhead forces to Fao then activate 2 RU spaces and Fao for combat and get 3 additional ops for activation for movement and/or combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
juerg haeberli
msg tools
If that is the way it works we are going to test in depht how it works for us.
How many games did you play together with what other changes to the basic game and how did it work out ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Anderson
United States
Elk Grove Village
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure what you mean. Event and OPs.
Perhaps you're thinking you get to resolve the combats on the card THEN get the OPs? In that case no, you have to declare your OPs before resolving the combats. Advancing units out of Tiflis is the obvious one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
juerg haeberli
msg tools
Yes thats what I thought. You use 2 ops for standard preparation for ST, a third for wherever you want and then attack two spaces with the Russians and Basra.
Thanks for the confirmation. Will test this as soon as possible.
Did you test this for Fao and Abadan beachhead ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Anderson
United States
Elk Grove Village
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Abadan Beachhead no longer useful with this variant. You could forego the Fao move and attack on Basra to land in Abadan if you wish still but that's counter-productive in my book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
juerg haeberli
msg tools
Ahh...but you can use an ops to move the remaining IN inf. div from island base to Bawi space......

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Anderson
United States
Elk Grove Village
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could I suppose. From Abadan would you attack Basra or Fao?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you can't reach Qurna it doesn't seem very fruitful to go the Abadan way.

While we're talking about must-play British events, on the 100th anniversary of the British Blockade of Germany, I'd like to throw out there a "Game starts with Blockade in place" suggestion. Because really the blockade had already started before the Allies ever landed at Fao.

I guess you might need to increase TU max Rps a little for balance purposes. And you've got a spare 3 OPs allied card doing not a lot...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Anderson
United States
Elk Grove Village
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might not even get it in your Turn One hand. The British would have never been so late in arriving.
What chased the Goeben and Breslau into the Black Sea in the first place?

I would also have liked it better if that card had the 2 War Status on it rather than Kitchener freeing that card up for use in a possible future Russian Offensive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Royal Navy Cruises the Caribbean

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kitchener is ONLY 2 WS. You can play the other three WS cards in the Mobilization deck to get to LimWar (even if you did Abadan, R-B Assault is still playable for WS). That said, I've only let Kitchener go into the LW deck a couple times (really, once, I guess - the other time I held it into the Spring thanks to a no-CC hand), but I've liked the results when I've done it. The only real disadvantage is that you might want to be shifting BR RP to the Russians earlier. The advantage is that it's a NICE turn-long CC-like event, and you'll have more free time and available troops to exploit it in 1915.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.