Subject: Why is this game so cheap? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
S C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes it's a strange complaint but why?

It seems like it has so much cardboard and so many pieces/dice/chits that I'm confused why it costs the same as King of Tokyo which has a lot less stuff in the box.

Does no one want it because it's a poor game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Polenzani
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's certainly not because its a poor game. I own this one and have a BLAST playing it! Plus what a wonderful theme. Go watch a few videos/reviews and you can see for yourself why its such a goodie xD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rapscallion_69 wrote:
It's certainly not because its a poor game. I own this one and have a BLAST playing it! Plus what a wonderful theme. Go watch a few videos/reviews and you can see for yourself why its such a goodie xD

I already watched SUSD and Rahdo that's what brought me here. I would just expect a game like this to demand £10 more and I have to wonder why they are 'undercharging'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hicks
United States
Evansville
IN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the game itself is amazing. Fun and light yet strategic. The components while hard assemble the first time are beautiful and unique.

I think this is just a case of a great price point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would guess it hasn't sold as well as was expected. Miniature Market had it on sale for $25 as their deal of the day a couple weeks ago. It's a fun little game, although to me it seems a little shallow for all the decisions you get to make. The best part about it is seeing the cool little 3D theme park you've built at the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One large factor in the price of a game is how many copies are printed. The more they make the cheaper per unit the price is. They may have thought this was going to be a huge hit and took a chance, printing a whole bunch on the intial print run.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazy Adam
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Congratulations. You have just discovered the secret message.
badge
Please send your answer to Old Pink, care of the Funny Farm, Chalfont.
mbmbmbmbmb
Here in Toronto, Steam Park is $40 while King of Tokyo is $30 (at our FLGS anyway). So perhaps they're capitalizing on the backs of good, hard-working Canadians!

That being said, I think $40 is a fair price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
Sometimes life is scary and dark. That is why we must find the light. -BMO
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the OP's comparison is part of the problem.

You need to reverse the question and ask, "Why is King of Tokyo so expensive?"

King of Tokyo is famous for being overpriced for it's components... at least when it was first released.

Ignoring that, it's worth pointing out that there is a HUGE price difference in custom molded huge chunky dice and cheapo wood dice with screen printing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kay Lee
United States
Ellicott City
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I just played this tonight and when i got home i ordered one right away. It is amazing little gem that is instantly in my top 10. I love the dice rolling mechanic and the turn order grabbing mechanic and all the little actions you. Can do.and the humor in the instructuon manual. Gah im in love with steam park.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kimchi fried rice
United States
Uptown
New York
flag msg tools
AKIMBO!
badge
반갑습니다!
mbmbmbmbmb
Donkler wrote:
I would guess it hasn't sold as well as was expected. Miniature Market had it on sale for $25 as their deal of the day a couple weeks ago.

Which I picked up for $22.50 on clearance today from said Market.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Barron
United States
Dothan
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
...And apparently on clearance for $25.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Hope
New Zealand
Auckland
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably because of the cheap, crappy components that rip when you punch them out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shadow ruxer
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally wasn't much of a fan. Just building rides around yourself and watching everyone do the same thing. No player interaction aside from racing with the dice fest, or playing around with whos going to get thrown in the special bag. But before I get everyone ragging on me, I know everyones got different taste angry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.