Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel J Isom
United States
Smyrna
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
Send me a geekmail if you'd like to buy a copy!
badge
I have to return some videotapes.
mbmbmbmbmb
2014 Dexterity Game Design Contest

Welcome to the inaugural Dexterity Game Design Contest! Whether you are a designer, publisher, playtester, voter, or spectator, I hope you enjoy this contest that celebrates dexterity games. All contest information and discussion will happen in this thread. All entries will be added to the submission geeklist. This contest is intended to be a friendly one where you can design and play new dexterity games. Hopefully you'll have fun and we'll be able to make this a yearly contest.

This year's contest also has an official sponsor! Andrew from Print & Play Productions has generously offered $5 off any order using the coupon code dexgame. This offer is valid through the end of the contest for all of your prototyping needs. A special thank you to Andrew for his sponsorship of this contest!

Dates and Deadlines
Official Start Date: October 15, 2014
Submission Deadline: Midnight,January 31st, 2015
Voting Deadline: Midnight, February 15th, 2015

(Both according to your own timezone, or according to the BGG timezone, whichever comes second)

Rules
1) First and foremost, Don't break any copyright or trademark laws. If it turns out that you have broken copyright or trademark laws with your entry, it will be disqualified.
2) Create a game that uses some sort of dexterity i.e. flicking, stacking, throwing, etc.
3) There are NO other restrictions on theme, mechanics, components, number of players, or art.
4) To compete for prizes, the game must not have a playable prototype before this thread was posted.
5) Team design work is allowed for this contest. You can have multiple people working on a single game as designers, artists, etc.
6) Designers may submit more than one game to the contest. There is no limit on the number of games entered so you can submit as many as you'd like.
7) Games submitted to this contest should allow anyone to be able to construct their own copies for personal use.

Submission Guidelines
1) Create a Work-in-Progress or WIP thread in the WIP Forum.
2) Include both in the title and the first post of the WIP thread, the state of your design.
3) Include a link to this contest thread in the first post of the WIP thread.
4) Post a link to your WIP thread in this thread.
5) As the game is developed, put the file link(s) to the game in the first post of your WIP.
6) When your game is Completed or Contest Ready post to the Contest Submission Geeklist. If your entry doesn't make it into that Geeklist, it won't be considered submitted.
7) Please keep discussions of specific games in their respective threads, and discussions of the contest or other general topics in this thread.

NOTE Your game does not need to be in a Completed phase by the end of the submission deadline in order to qualify. We can judge your game based on the latest prototype. Just send me a GeekMail and I will mark the game as such. Of course, incomplete games are not likely to get voted as highly as finished and polished games. On the other hand, some games are never really "complete," simply abandoned.

Voting Procedure
The voting procedure will be done using Google forms which is the same as the 2 player print-and-play design contest. Many thanks to kurthl33t for letting me use his format!

VOTE ClOSED!

Prize Support
All GeekGold tipped to this post will be applied to the main prize pool. If the results end in a tie, contest entries will split that prize pool. Additionally, I will contribute 50 GG to the main prize pool for the best overall game.

Total in the Overall Best Game Category: 269
To contribute to the Overall Best Game Prize Pool, please tip this post.

The Overall Best Game prize pool will be divided up among the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners using a 4:2:1 ratio.

Other Prize Categories
- Best Written Rules
- Most Innovative Theme
- Most Interesting Mechanic
- Most Unique Components
To contribute to the other prize pools, please tip the appropriate category in the posts below.

All other category prize pools will be divided the same way. A game can potentially win more than one category. For example, Best Overall Game could also win Most Innovative Theme.

Important Note
By the time of the entry deadline, all entrants must have contributed significantly to at least 3 other designers projects (whether or not those projects ultimately were entered into the competition). Examples of significant contribution include (but are not limited to) play testing the game and providing written feedback, proof reading the rules and providing detailed feedback, regular and meaningful contribution to a game's discussion thread (not just "looks good" but substantial contributions to the discussion) and feedback and advice on graphical design and layout.

FAQ
1) Does a real time style game using speed as a dexterity skill qualify?

No. At least for this year's contest. This will be revisited each year.

2) Is it OK to submit a prototype of a dexterity game where art and graphic design are nearly finished and the prototype is perfectly playable?

Yes and No. Yes you can submit it for feedback. But it won't be eligible for voting or prizes.

Overall Best Game
1 - MAJESTY by Jake Staines
2 - Chaos Tactics by Daniel Isom
3 - Drop Zone by Julien Griffon, Mors Tua by Gaid Whitenan, and Sheepdogs! by Greg Jewell (Tied)

Best Written Rules
1 - Sheepdogs! by Greg Jewell
2 - MAJESTY by Jake Staines and Chaos Tactics by Daniel Isom (Tied)

Most Innovative Theme
1 - Fire Ants by Jeremy Peet
2 - MAJESTY by Jake Staines
3 - Sheepdogs! by Greg Jewell and Space Drifters by Jessey

Most Interesting Mechanic
2 - Mors Tua by Gaid Whitenan and Drop Zone by Julien Griffon(Tied)

Most Unique Components
2 - Drop Zone by Julien Griffon
3 - Space Drifters by Jessey, Battle for Omnialea by Strangelander, and HeroKinole by Gary Holm (Tied)

Thank you to kurthl33t, Tyraziel, and chansen2794 for writing contest rules that I have borrowed from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel J Isom
United States
Smyrna
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: 2014 Dexterity Game Design Contest
Please tip this post to contribute to the Best Written Rules Category.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel J Isom
United States
Smyrna
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please tip this post to contribute to the Most Innovative Theme Category.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel J Isom
United States
Smyrna
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please tip this post to contribute to the Most Interesting Mechanic Category.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel J Isom
United States
Smyrna
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please tip this post to contribute to the Most Unique Components Category.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel J Isom
United States
Smyrna
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
reserved
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Peet
United States
Milford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for putting this contest together Dan, I'm excited to see a contest dedicated to dexterity games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanner Griffin
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
You have no idea how excited I am. I have so many ideas. Now to narrow it down to the best ones...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Brebach
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb
Hey this sounds fun Dan.

I'm new to BGG design competitions.

Question: Is it OK to submit a prototype of a dexterity card game Monstrous where art and graphic design are nearly finished and the prototype is perfectly playable?

I ask because this looks like a great forum for feedback specifically on dexterity games. While I've play tested widely, where I am I can't seem to easily find blind play testers.

I wouldn't submit it for prizes (as per rule 4) but does that preclude entering it at all? Or should I just create a WIP thread and link to it here?

I am of course happy to play test some other dex games here. Having designed one, I've come to enjoy them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel J Isom
United States
Smyrna
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kbrebach wrote:
Hey this sounds fun Dan.

I'm new to BGG design competitions.

Question: Is it OK to submit a prototype of a dexterity card game Monstrous where art and graphic design are nearly finished and the prototype is perfectly playable?

I ask because this looks like a great forum for feedback specifically on dexterity games. While I've play tested widely, where I am I can't seem to easily find blind play testers.

I wouldn't submit it for prizes (as per rule 4) but does that preclude entering it at all? Or should I just create a WIP thread and link to it here?

I am of course happy to play test some other dex games here. Having designed one, I've come to enjoy them.

Thanks for checking in Kim!

You certainly can submit your game to the contest. As you stated, it won't be eligible for prizes but this will be the best place to bounce ideas around and get feedback on your game. BGG as a whole doesn't appreciate dexterity games, so simply making a WIP thread won't yield you much attention I'm guessing.

You should still follow the submission rules by making a WIP thread and making an entry on the submission list. Just note that your game can not be voted for as it won't be included in the voting form.

I want this contest to be a place for all the "dexters", as one geek referred to them, to come together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Brebach
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb
Awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have attempted to participate in contests before, but usually that meant thinking about it and trying to find the time. This time I really want to make the time to put together a half way decent game. You guys need to keep me honest here and make sure I get AT LEAST a WIP going, bare minimum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel J Isom
United States
Smyrna
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to hold you to that Andrew. If any designers are looking for game pieces for their prototypes, Andrew's Print & Play Productions is a great place to order from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Daniel, for both the accountability and the support!

If you guys do order something from me, use coupon code dexgame to get $5 off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Harper
United Kingdom
Wantage
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I so wish there was someone doing that sort of thing in the UK. At least I don't think there is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Germflinger wrote:
Thanks for putting this contest together Dan, I'm excited to see a contest dedicated to dexterity games!

Yes Germ and I have a good concept to try, so I hope to make use of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel J Isom
United States
Smyrna
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

is the official sponsor of this year's contest. Please see the original post for more details.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Campbell
United Kingdom
Ilkeston
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a big fan of dexterity games so looking forward to seeing what people come up with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
polyobsessive wrote:
I so wish there was someone doing that sort of thing in the UK. At least I don't think there is.

I don't think anyone builds whole games for you like Andrew does*, but it's cheap enough to order parts from SpielMaterial over here. There's also Board Game Extras who I believe are a SpielMaterial reseller. Usually they're more expensive for any moderately-sized order, but they sometimes have good offers on.

* I've done it a couple of times as one-offs for people, but really: it's far too much of a pain in the arse to want to make a habit of it. That Andrew provides this service in the first place and manages to make a business out of it is amazing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Harper
United Kingdom
Wantage
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've actually bought stuff from both of those places (and others), and actually have a pretty good store of components (also included stuff cannibalised from other games), but I think I'm more bemoaning somewhere to do print on demand stuff.

Still, I need to stop moaning about off-topic stuff and get on with my game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanner Griffin
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
First request for input from the forum: theme. I have a set of rules that works well for either of these themes, and I want to know which of them you would rather see.

Poll
Which setting should I give this game?
A burning building
A sinking ship
      43 answers
Poll created by Friff14

Next week (or perhaps a bit earlier) I'll build a prototype and start the WIP thread for this one. For now, this will be called Entry #1 (of probably 4).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
For the King!
badge
I bend all elements!
mbmbmbmbmb
Howitzer_120mm wrote:
I have attempted to participate in contests before, but usually that meant thinking about it and trying to find the time. This time I really want to make the time to put together a half way decent game. You guys need to keep me honest here and make sure I get AT LEAST a WIP going, bare minimum.

It's been over a week, where's the WIP thread Surely you've got an idea you want to get started on!

As for me, I'm going to try and get involved. I had planned to totally overhaul one of my past Dex games but looking at it, I don't think the overhaul will be complete enough to justify entering it here as "new" (the core dexterity mechanics will remain) - so I'll leave that for something else.

Stay tuned! Zeppelin Strike has gone well enough in the past, I think I'd like to do something in the same "setting" (steam punk / airships / zeppelins), still pondering what to do (and how to do it!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Brebach
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb
OK I've got what I think is the first WIP up for the comp.

Its for Monstrous.

You are a cranky greek god, you have your monsters, the humans are down there, so its time to play.

Here's a sneak peek:

Advanced notice - this is an advanced prototype for an almost complete tactical dex game. I know it is not eligible for voting or prizes. But I'm really hoping to get some feedback on the game (inc some final balance tweaks) and draft rules specifically.

I've never done a game design WIP before so happy to take suggestions for improvements to that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
For the King!
badge
I bend all elements!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll take a closer look this week, but an important recommendation from what i can see: while having the image pop out of the frame is cool, you should never cover text. It will hinder playability and functionality (in particular the Hydra).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Brebach
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb
Candi wrote:
I'll take a closer look this week, but an important recommendation from what i can see: while having the image pop out of the frame is cool, you should never cover text. It will hinder playability and functionality (in particular the Hydra).

Thanks Jesse. Its an issue that has come up before, but only by designers. Is it best to discuss this in the WIP thread?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   |