Chris Alton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
Paper 'Mech - winner 'Best Overall Design' in the 2016 1-page PNP Contest
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone,

I've developed a solo rules variant for running against an AI player and thought it might be a good idea to post them here, so that anyone who wants to try then might benefit. I created these so that I could test my own decks at leisure, and they don't do a bad job of it.

I want to make a couple of things clear from the start:-

1. These rules will not give you a massive challenge, or provide a realistic alternative to playing against another human, but they will definitely provide you with a tool against which you can test your own decks.

2. They're work in progress and they might have balance issues, or need various tweaks such as number of resources, which factions can be run on the AI, specific AI deck builds etc.

So, all that waffle over with, here are the rules. Unless stated otherwise, all normal Conquest rules are to be followed

Link to the file:-
http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/108986/conquest-solo-rules

One final note, I've seen that Atvar has already created an excellent solo rules variant here:- http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1232383/atvars-solo-rules
I do not want to detract from Atvar's work in any way. These rules were created in isolation, and are more a means of having something to test your deck builds against. It seems to me that Atvar is trying the much more difficult task of trying to create a challenging AI to play against.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan R
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
Re: Deck Tester - Solo Rules
The Painted Goblin wrote:
Hi everyone,

I've developed a waffle

mmmm... waffles.... *drool*

Thanks for making me hungry and the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Alton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I suspect that the number of wound tokens available to the AI player in this variant might be slightly over the top.

I'm thinking of changing the rules so that the maximum number of tokens that can be used to block any attack is 2. However, I'm torn because having to essentially "drain" the AI player of wound tokens to win a battle does tend to offset the lack of strategy coming from the other side of the table.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Alton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Updated to v0.1

http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/108986/conquest-solo-rules

Changes:-
- Purpose-built AI deck introduced (SM/Tau)
- Rule changed slightly when the AI cannot afford to pay for the next card, to balance the game a little when he draws several high cost units in succession.
- Rules added on how the AI plays attachments
- AI army unit cards split into capping and combat units. Rules added on how the AI will deploy each (with rules for a couple of specific units).
- Rules added for resolving planet abilities for the AI
- Rule added for moving mobile units at the start of the combat phase.

Comments, thoughts and suggestions are welcome. This is still work-in-progress so don't be shy if you have any thoughts that could improve the ruleset.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D
United States
Asheville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Re: Deck Tester - Solo Rules **UPDATED TO v0.1**
IHowever, I'm torn because having to essentially "drain" the AI player of wound tokens to win a battle does tend to offset the lack of strategy coming from the other side of the table. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Have you considered making the number of tokens they have at their disposal random each turn? Of course I suppose that could make it even more difficult for the player. But it is an option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Alton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hah! - only just seen this so my apologies for the late reply!

Having played it through thoroughly I think the unexpected side effect of having to drain the AI's resources works quite well to offset the lack of strategy coming from that side of the table.
I uploaded a revised set of rules with a specific deck list last month. This also increases the intelligence of the AI. It's still not ideal, but as long you treat it as a tool for testing your deck builds against it works just fine

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thierry Gantier
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First a big thank you to Andy Dunks (Atvar) who created a solo variation September 9, 2014 very interesting, and another big thank you to Chris Alton (The Painted Goblin) who also created a solo variant October 14, 2014 also very interesting (updated November 17, 2014)

I had fun playing with their rules but the essential point is not addressed is the notion of choice by the AI keys planets ("key planets")
Of course our friends gave their IA order to always prioritize the next 3 planets she is going to need to win, but frankly the choice is often difficult!
Indeed many criteria are taken into account (the symbols of victory, the level of opposition, speed of conquest and even if the human risk or not to win)

So in order to decide CLEARLY choices of AI, I create here Logic diagrams of this IA inspired rules of our pre-mentioned friends
in order not to waste too much time while having a sufficiently tough opponent
A Flowchart GENERAL
A Flowchart PLANETARY
A Command Flow Chart
A Combat Flowchart

Do not be effayé by the number of pages, because there are a lot of factors but the logic diagrams are only 5 pages
Also you can very quickly - within a few parts - you spend overall flowchart and command flow chart
The general flowchart only checks that the AI does not forget a phase of play + gives shields + checks playability of a map in terms of resource and valid target
Command flowchart is even simpler since it makes qu'aiguiller Warlord of AI if it is blood + resolution of command duel
HOWEVER THE PLANETARY flowcharts + COMBAT - the heart of the game - BE NECESSARY tojours
Even the calculations to see if the AI can move on a planet (roughly it comes to determining whether their ATT> to that of humans) are actually very fast

NOTE explanation: that the game is fuid and the Logic diagrams do not become gas plants, regarding the interest of the planets, the AI is still prioritized on winning
That is, it remains focused on the value of a strategic perspective ONLY (symbols that give victory)
His attention is not diverted by their value from a tactical point of view (bonus received in the command duels and bonuses granted by battle abilities)
Of course it does not disdain to get these bonuses if it occurs but as you will see its relentless logic does not clutter, she just wants the win

the AI fights with his decks 100% mono faction
Her decks are ALL COMPOUNDS IN THE SAME WAY: Lord + 9 cards all cards of this faction in the core set (but double)

of course if you master the Logic diagrams on the fingertips:
you can add as many maps from the extensions you want BUT still * 2 HIGH for more different cards (thus more possibilities)

This conception of the AI logic diagrams are recent (1 week) I could not do that 10 parts, and AI beat me 2 times 10 what makes a solid (20% win for AI)
Of course some planets configurations are better suited to the victory of one side or the other
Unable VERY RARELY play than with humans, I wanted to develop a decent AI, and I assure you it is pretty tough, exactly what I wanted
Of course it is a bit boosted - a promethium mine as the first card to draw 1 card + Bonus draw each turn
It is the combination of the 2 that ensures a good card laying performance course with the possible help of neutral allies

Then, at the playing time, at the beginning it will be a little longer than against a human - the time to understand the logic of IA, but then it goes very fast !!!

Believe me, when you get beaten for the first time by the AI, you'll want to replay again !!!

For even knowing what it will do, the luck factor is still present - the salt of the card game - may compensate your anticipation of his actions, so the challenge is still there!

I hope that you will enjoy a lot with this IA, either to test your packages - this I am sure she will do with no problem - or you're single player foul

For depriving - lack of opponent - to play this great card game would have been a shame

I will try to live this document as extensions, and according to your remarks, and then we'll see if FFG creates an official solo release

GOOD GAME AT ALL
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Oliveira
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmb
hello,

thanks for the great guide for solo play .

against other factions what kind of modification i need to make to the A.I ( if i want the AI to play something other than Space Marines/Tau)

thanks in advance cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Alton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thierry2015 wrote:
First a big thank you to Andy Dunks (Atvar) who created a solo variation September 9, 2014 very interesting, and another big thank you to Chris Alton (The Painted Goblin) who also created a solo variant October 14, 2014 also very interesting (updated November 17, 2014)..........I will try to live this document as extensions, and according to your remarks, and then we'll see if FFG creates an official solo release

GOOD GAME AT ALL

Hi Thierry,
I downloaded it but my French is very poor so haven't been able to process it. Looks beautiful though - good work! cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Alton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tiago83 wrote:
hello,

against other factions what kind of modification i need to make to the A.I ( if i want the AI to play something other than Space Marines/Tau)

thanks in advance cool

Hello Tiago,

I chose Space Marines for the AI because they are the easiest faction to play that don't rely on trickery or difficult decisions. Most of their units can put up a good fight based on their stats alone, without having to rely on special rules or abilities. I haven't updated this since the warpacks started coming out so this may no longer be the case, I'm not sure.

Sitting down with all the cards for each faction and inventing an AI rule for each card will take a phenomenal amount of time, and I'm not sure it will work so well.
That said, if anyone wants to have a try, feel free and I will add it to the document (with full credit given, of course!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Oliveira
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmb
tiago83 wrote:
hello,

thanks in advance :cool:

Hello Tiago,

I chose Space Marines for the AI because they are the easiest faction to play that don't rely on trickery or difficult decisions. Most of their units can put up a good fight based on their stats alone, without having to rely on special rules or abilities. I haven't updated this since the warpacks started coming out so this may no longer be the case, I'm not sure.

Sitting down with all the cards for each faction and inventing an AI rule for each card will take a phenomenal amount of time, and I'm not sure it will work so well.
That said, if anyone wants to have a try, feel free and I will add it to the document (with full credit given, of course!)

yes i agree with you , anyways thank you for the reply , been having a blast with this , with the lack of an oponent , this is awesome to test the decks then go playing online :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Alton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No problem, I'm glad you're getting use out of them.
It was exactly for the purpose of testing of your decks that I created these rules

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thierry Gantier
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
good morning

Chris: thank you again for it is your work that made me want to create a version where all factions are playable in single (but MONO-FACTION)

Tiago, sorry for the wait, with my version you can play all the faction, and AI can play all factions
But as explained Chris is easier to initiate you to the solo game where the AI plays Space Marine as there is less effect than the other factions:

Guards / Chaos / Orks = there are effects with the token
Black & Eldar Eldar many game effect
Tau effects but also with the attachment cards

For my part I learned to play solo with the variant of Chris (IA = Space Marine)

But my logic diagrams allow the AI to play everything and every face
and I changed things compared to the version of Chris

I played some of the 20th taking my time and I perceived that for the AI to be competitive it must have some bonus

FIRST TEST PHASE
1 = resources so I gave the bonus of promethium mine
2 = cards so she draws one card (but if it has more resources to draw it stops)

2ND PHASE OF TEST
as this was not enough to maintain the AI pace with the human I changed that gives drawn cards in the Command Phase
(Chris gives tokens damage)
3 = through the resources of the Command Phase that AI obtained, as it has no hands, it offers him during the Command Phase one second deployment phase which has BOOSTED lot and makes it more competitive

3RD PHASE OF TEST
what planet AI unfolds?
Andy calls to divide his forces into 3 time to have a planet (the first 3 of the system)
then divide his forces into two (the next 2 colors to win) then all the final planet

Chris recommends it to be placed on the first planet, but if the AI sees that she will win (ATT stronger) then it goes to the next target planet and so on and each round

Chris's system is better because I think it is not a simple division of his forces
because it takes into account the opposition (it will ask its units to be stronger than the human AND THEN it will go to the next planet

Unfortunately it still poses problems, such as:

AI has no planet so she'll have a unit (eg a Scout ATT 2), if the human does not pose a high card then the AI leaves the first planet and will put his land raider on next, this is problematic because the human will pose a big unit and then we can consider that the IA has lost the first planet when she had plenty to take

After several tests, I found a solution: the AI with no other planet plug (he wants first and then start thinking about the next - he wants the safe side we'll say)
it will therefore grouping = much harder for humans to take it as easy as before

WELL early AI performs well because it is aggressive to take the first planet, like at the end (as it must absolutely 3rd TARGET to win), but the middle part is hard for it: the choice of the second target is very difficult
So I had to make a table of priority that allows the AI to choose the next planet (according to correspondence of the types of symbols)

With version 2 of my document, mobile units allow the AI to not despise the excluded planets

Example the part that I made yesterday
Me = Space marines / IA = TAU

1st TOUR AI took the first planet ELOUIT

then the 2nd TOUR has focused its attention on Y'VARN second planet (deployment and battle, but nevertheless won BARLUS - the first planet (which was excluded) and the random deployment of mobile units

then the 3rd TOUR she was able to make Y'VARN, so the 4th TOUR as she wants to win and the first planet FERRIN, this does not interest because it has only raw material symbol instead as she sees PLANNUM as second planet (1 + 1 symbol technology citadel symbol) and thus it has already two symbols of each of these types = TARGET

she took it and I lost, snif soblue

AI now wins more often (5 parts of 17 which is around 30%)devil

I changed other elements, but I expect the pack Gift of the Ethereals to post version 3

Good game and especially take your time, you'll see after 10 games you will not even look plsu logic diagrams

(for the hardest races I create to play the last pages of my papers to get to manage this difficulty many special actions)

Tiago, just for you - to make me forgive my delay - here are the changes from version 3 to come:
VERSION 3

# Placement in the GENERAL LOGIGRAM when the AI will play his actions during the deployment phase
Because unlike humans who can alternate pick / share - to share it - rather wait to have played all his cards before undertaking relevant actions

For preferring differ as much as possible when it will play its actions, it allows the AI to consider how the game is installed (where the human is deployed at this point of the game)

Example of relevant share: playing the action Captain Markis
Example irrelevant Action: sacrifice arsonist Zarathur that would shame to double the combat phase

# Addition of Action niche that exists at the end of the command phase so that the AI can see if she can make an action at this time
And especially since coming to draw cards depending on the result of command duels
(as humans) can (unlike humans) if it has the resources to play as she wins!
Giving a boost to his game, and can for example following the installation of a support, allow action in the wake!

# Precision made when assigning attachments in order to decide equally and can fall back on the valid target fault HQ on a planet

# Addition of assistance:
When the AI has 2 planets: how to identify the one she chooses to snatch victory
Help done as an example of a lived part where the AI finished up winning

# Additional explanations in the allocation of resources and bonus cards to AI when she won a duel command

# Some details at the time of the attack of AI units

# Added an exception to the use of shields - normally used only for SAVE unit - to prevent - if possible - his SDG is defeated (switch to blood)

# To compensate off from the deck of AI when it has more resources, whereas it did not draw all the cards and the following could beings with shield (s)
Adding a phase called "last chance" where if necessary "ULTIMATE" it looks so she can use the next card from the deck as adding shield (s)

# Y'VARN
Change so that the human does not benefit from the Battle of capacity if the AI can not be used
(exactly like a human)
After verification Chris Alton had already stated in his solo release: "otherwise ignore"
CHRIS THANK YOU!

# Adding to the general principles of the resolution of the case where the AI was falling on a single card already in play (for the deck or the discard pile)
And the same principle for limited cards she could manage in the same round

# Some other small details

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Oliveira
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmb
thierry2015 wrote:
good morning

Chris: thank you again for it is your work that made me want to create a version where all factions are playable in single (but MONO-FACTION)

Tiago, sorry for the wait, with my version you can play all the faction, and AI can play all factions
But as explained Chris is easier to initiate you to the solo game where the AI plays Space Marine as there is less effect than the other factions:

Guards / Chaos / Orks = there are effects with the token
Black & Eldar Eldar many game effect
Tau effects but also with the attachment cards

For my part I learned to play solo with the variant of Chris (IA = Space Marine)

But my logic diagrams allow the AI to play everything and every face
and I changed things compared to the version of Chris

I played some of the 20th taking my time and I perceived that for the AI to be competitive it must have some bonus

FIRST TEST PHASE
1 = resources so I gave the bonus of promethium mine
2 = cards so she draws one card (but if it has more resources to draw it stops)

2ND PHASE OF TEST
as this was not enough to maintain the AI pace with the human I changed that gives drawn cards in the Command Phase
(Chris gives tokens damage)
3 = through the resources of the Command Phase that AI obtained, as it has no hands, it offers him during the Command Phase one second deployment phase which has BOOSTED lot and makes it more competitive

3RD PHASE OF TEST
what planet AI unfolds?
Andy calls to divide his forces into 3 time to have a planet (the first 3 of the system)
then divide his forces into two (the next 2 colors to win) then all the final planet

Chris recommends it to be placed on the first planet, but if the AI sees that she will win (ATT stronger) then it goes to the next target planet and so on and each round

Chris's system is better because I think it is not a simple division of his forces
because it takes into account the opposition (it will ask its units to be stronger than the human AND THEN it will go to the next planet

Unfortunately it still poses problems, such as:

AI has no planet so she'll have a unit (eg a Scout ATT 2), if the human does not pose a high card then the AI leaves the first planet and will put his land raider on next, this is problematic because the human will pose a big unit and then we can consider that the IA has lost the first planet when she had plenty to take

After several tests, I found a solution: the AI with no other planet plug (he wants first and then start thinking about the next - he wants the safe side we'll say)
it will therefore grouping = much harder for humans to take it as easy as before

WELL early AI performs well because it is aggressive to take the first planet, like at the end (as it must absolutely 3rd TARGET to win), but the middle part is hard for it: the choice of the second target is very difficult
So I had to make a table of priority that allows the AI to choose the next planet (according to correspondence of the types of symbols)

With version 2 of my document, mobile units allow the AI to not despise the excluded planets

Example the part that I made yesterday
Me = Space marines / IA = TAU

1st TOUR AI took the first planet ELOUIT

then the 2nd TOUR has focused its attention on Y'VARN second planet (deployment and battle, but nevertheless won BARLUS - the first planet (which was excluded) and the random deployment of mobile units

then the 3rd TOUR she was able to make Y'VARN, so the 4th TOUR as she wants to win and the first planet FERRIN, this does not interest because it has only raw material symbol instead as she sees PLANNUM as second planet (1 + 1 symbol technology citadel symbol) and thus it has already two symbols of each of these types = TARGET

she took it and I lost, snif soblue

AI now wins more often (5 parts of 17 which is around 30%)devil

I changed other elements, but I expect the pack Gift of the Ethereals to post version 3

Good game and especially take your time, you'll see after 10 games you will not even look plsu logic diagrams

(for the hardest races I create to play the last pages of my papers to get to manage this difficulty many special actions)

Tiago, just for you - to make me forgive my delay - here are the changes from version 3 to come:
VERSION 3

# Placement in the GENERAL LOGIGRAM when the AI will play his actions during the deployment phase
Because unlike humans who can alternate pick / share - to share it - rather wait to have played all his cards before undertaking relevant actions

For preferring differ as much as possible when it will play its actions, it allows the AI to consider how the game is installed (where the human is deployed at this point of the game)

Example of relevant share: playing the action Captain Markis
Example irrelevant Action: sacrifice arsonist Zarathur that would shame to double the combat phase

# Addition of Action niche that exists at the end of the command phase so that the AI can see if she can make an action at this time
And especially since coming to draw cards depending on the result of command duels
(as humans) can (unlike humans) if it has the resources to play as she wins!
Giving a boost to his game, and can for example following the installation of a support, allow action in the wake!

# Precision made when assigning attachments in order to decide equally and can fall back on the valid target fault HQ on a planet

# Addition of assistance:
When the AI has 2 planets: how to identify the one she chooses to snatch victory
Help done as an example of a lived part where the AI finished up winning

# Additional explanations in the allocation of resources and bonus cards to AI when she won a duel command

# Some details at the time of the attack of AI units

# Added an exception to the use of shields - normally used only for SAVE unit - to prevent - if possible - his SDG is defeated (switch to blood)

# To compensate off from the deck of AI when it has more resources, whereas it did not draw all the cards and the following could beings with shield (s)
Adding a phase called "last chance" where if necessary "ULTIMATE" it looks so she can use the next card from the deck as adding shield (s)

# Y'VARN
Change so that the human does not benefit from the Battle of capacity if the AI can not be used
(exactly like a human)
After verification Chris Alton had already stated in his solo release: "otherwise ignore"
CHRIS THANK YOU!

# Adding to the general principles of the resolution of the case where the AI was falling on a single card already in play (for the deck or the discard pile)
And the same principle for limited cards she could manage in the same round

# Some other small details

its no problem at all, take you time , thank you for the explanation . i got this lcg only this january , so still getting used to some mechanics . im sure the more games i get played the more clearer it will became , thanks Thierry and Chris for your hard work . cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thierry Gantier
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope you will make many parts and that the AI will be tough

So you're going to make you a good deck to win cool

But beware my variant is expected to single-deck faction gulp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Alton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another few months, another few warpacks , another update.

The file is currently pending moderator approval, but should be available to download in a couple of hours.

WARHAMMER 40,000 CONQUEST: SOLO VARIANT v1.1

REVISIONS

Version 1.1 – 27 March 2015
- Changed the way that AI decks are set up
- AI now has a hand so you can test your Choke decks against it.
- Removed the use of wound counters as AI shields, shielding now more traditional
- Changed AI rules for using its cards. Now more aggressive at locking down command.
- Introduced mechanics to allow AI to use key events in a more intelligent manner
- Added a few sample AI decks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bille mann
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Deck Tester - Solo Rules UPDATED TO v1.1 - 27 March 2015
Hi,

love your rules. Keep them alive!!!
They really work well.

Thx
Bille
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Alton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks - it's uncanny but I was just thinking about these a couple of days ago.

It's a while since I updated them, but I've played tons of Conquest in the meantime. I'm sure I could update them to emulate a 2 player game more accurately.

Time to get me thinking cap back on..... laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bille mann
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, then it's time to start whistle

We all wait for the corrections.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Alton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay I got around to updating these.

I had to rewrite them from the ground up. After playing for months against real people, there were quite a few mechanics that just didn't feel right, or capture the feel of playing against a thinking opponent.

In truth, writing an AI that will emulate this fully would be very complex, and even more complex for someone to follow. This is a compromise and utilizes dice and a list of decisions that the AI will make in priority order.

Hopefully it will help out for testing your deck builds against

Paintedgobbo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Peter

Worcester
Massachusetts
msg tools
mbmbmb
Chris,
I don't know if you're still around, but I'm late to the party and had some questions.

I tried your 2.0 rules yesterday for the 1st time and found it interesting enough that I want to use it some more.

However, I'm only using a core set. I tried a premade faction vs. a premade faction. But those are only 36 cards (with the neutrals). For the AI deck, which had 6 Elites, I took out 3 Elites and played the rest. As there were not enough armies, I put the 1 and 2 cost Armies in Command and the rest in Combat.

I was stomped brutally in 3 turns.

In your experience, do you *need* a 50+ card AI deck just to lessen the chances of all the AI's good cards coming out quickly? Or might have this been bad luck on the draw?

I'd rather do single faction decks for thematic reasons, but my next test will be to do a double faction starter vs. a double faction starter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.