13 Posts

Dust Tactics» Forums » General

Subject: What happened to all of the V1 players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathon Ebonsword
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have they all either given up on the game or moved to V2?

This board is as quiet as a tomb.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ebonsword wrote:
Have they all either given up on the game or moved to V2?

This board is as quiet as a tomb.

Probably a combination of both. For now, I'm in the former group. I've moved on to Dropzone Commander. My friends were all too happy to join with me in the move, so I'm not sure when or if I'll get back into Dust and really look into V2.

That said, it sounds like most people who actually have given V2 a shot have been reasonably happy with it - maybe not liking it more than V1, but liking it enough that they don't feel like it's time to call it quits, and that is good to hear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I should also mention that the amount of discussion of miniature games, including Dust, on BGG, is usually pretty low. Most discussion is on the official forums and on the Facebook page, and those who are sticking to V1 are still posting on there as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Stahler Jr.
United States
Wheelock
Vermont
flag msg tools
Check out Truesight and other award-winning fiction at davidstahlerjr.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
Our group is playing more Dust than ever since V2 came out, though we've pretty much moved from playing Warfare to Battlefield. I love Warfare still, but I find Battlefield plays faster and feels more intuitive than Warfare. Seems to take the best of both systems for our group, though we're all weeknight warriors with kids and busy lives, so it fits our time and energy allotment quite well.

There is quite a healthy and active forum at this point over on Battlefront's official Dust website, along with weekly updates with new material on the main page. If you haven't checked it out yet, I recommend it.

No doubt the game lost some players (like James, alas) after V2, but it seems like there are more coming all the time. Lots of new interest in the game, particularly since the Kickstarter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They actually lost me about 6 months before V2 came out. Dust releases and news just slowed down to a crawl, and no one seemed to know what was happening with the game. I decided to take a break and jump into something new, and my main Dust gaming partner ended up liking that something new way more than Dust, so now even if I tried to get back into Dust, I don't really have many people to play it with, certainly not with any regularity.

That said, my 4 year old son loves the Dust minis, and even has a few of his own. So give it a year or two and I might be jumping back into the game if he gets interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sacha cauvin
France
rouen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have always been active on the dust scene. It s Still kinda of going well.
European dust day coming fast.
What worries me most is the lack of support from the Dust boys here.
Tells a lot.

I think a lot of dust fans are more into painting/ modeling than playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
Didn't switch to V2. The game's completely dead around here. Stores that actually want to order some of the newer products can't get them through their distributors. They won't change distributor for a game not a lot of people are playing.

So the game doesn't get a lot of plays nowadays. I switched to x-wing miniatures. The Ogre designer's edition also give me more to play with in a single box than all the released minis of Dust ever made.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Kline

Bakersfield
California
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sold my collection and bought X-Wing. Best decision could have made.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simone C.
Italy
Roma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They turned to V2 and play happy now: great game, great miniatures, unlimited possibilities a great alternative to other minis wargame

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Super Cruz

New Jersey
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Happily playing warfare. No members of our small group got in on the kickstarter and our guys are happy just purchasing units already available. Everyone knows the Warfare rules and we have a blast. Any new units that come out will be Warfare supported (for now) so V2 isnt really a concern for us..Best of both Worlds I'd say! We can get new units when they arrive retail from kickstarter but don't have to fuss with new rules or FAQ's to play!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
I wasn't born ! I sprang from the forhead of God , as he contemplated a particularly vile joke !
badge
I wasn't born , I was hatched in the deepest darkest part of the ocean , and raised by sharks !
mbmbmbmbmb
i was trying to get some prjects out of the way so i can get back to work on DUST V1 , but work kept sapping my will and time , and it only got worse after a guy at work brought a gun and was apparently going to go postal killing supervisors , the atmosphere bcame more depressing and our shifts more demanding .

my job has stolen to much of my life and will this last year .

to that end , i am working on some D&D figs ( a beholder hive ) for a little contest that i am using JUST to kickstart me back into working on my projects , once THAT project is out , it should clear some space on my table , next month a couple more D&D/DrWho projects which will clear more space , and next months projects wont be as involved so it will leave me more time to work on the rules rewrite .

i have WAY to many models for DT , so i am doing what ever it takes to get back up in the saddle !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boardgame Geek
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked up the remaining Fantasy Flight produced models I was wanting on clearance in store and online but I haven't even popped them out of the boxes to paint them up yet.

Right now my main tabletop time has been spent with Warmachine/Hordes and Star Trek Attack Wing (fun and thematic, you just need to repaint them ) and then there is a sizeable Dystopian Wars Prussian & Britannia force that I splurged on when they were being cleared out as well which I haven't got around to painting up either.

I kept a keen eye on the Kickstarter and while some stuff looked interesting I just felt that a lot of it was a rehash of existing releases and Battlefronts odd decision to remove multi-part kits and reduce them to single part kits is/was a VERY bad move. Bottom line for me is the balance just seems totally broken and I don't want to play "DUST TACTICS 40K Edition".

TLDR: The older you get the less time you have to commit to multiple games so you have to be choosy and I don't agree with what Battlefront has (mostly) done so far with new releases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Same here, I bought some FFG's expansions until battlefront took the game over, after that I wasn't really happy with where the game went, rule changes, packaging, promotion. Kickstarter didn't introduce anything new except theatre change. So I shelved it, thought about selling it but components are decent quality so I kept it, beside its not a bad game.

It didn't have following either in my area, I was trying to put it on the table as often as possible, and it was mostly warfare when it happened, not as often as I would like though, and all the turmoil around the game steered people away. Soon enough X-wing took its place and everyone jumped on that train, and recently I am trying to start with Golem Arcana.

Haven't purchased anything for at least a year now for Dust.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.