Quebec 1759» Forums » Variants

Subject: Detachment/Decoy scouting deterrence rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin McKay
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a deterrence to the rather simple 1st turn exploit by British - scouting the entire French opening with 4 sacrificial detachments/decoys -

I suggest the following addendum to the 18.0 Skirmishs rules

18.2 Before the skirmish begins (and before blocks are laid down), the defender must assign any number of blocks to participate in the skirmish battle. All other blocks are in the reserve. Reserve blocks may not enter the battle. A skirmish battle is then commenced (blocks laid down) between those blocks. Note: the attacker must commit all his blocks into the skirmish.

18.3 If the defender loses the skirmish, the reserve blocks must retreat subject to retreat rules.

I hope this rule still allows a British player to scout at some degree. I think it would be fair to imagine that a small detachment party (or decoy party) would be ordered to scout an enemies position. In return, the defending party may order all his units to react (anticipating a real incursion) or hold back from revealing his true defensive power.

The defender is taking a gamble in this case, as, if the attacking blocks are two full CV regiments, then the defender loss an opportunity to make amphibious fire (if amphibious). Still, if the defender loses the skirmish (as a result of committing too few units to participate) then he must retreat and lose ground.

Alternatively, the defender can always respond in full force to squash the incursion. This is always at the cost of revealing his strength in that area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How can one scout with 4 decoys? Decoys can't exist without real units, I thought. Am I missing something?

(Or is this proposal only for the later version of the rules with 1-point detachments?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin McKay
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That rule isn't specified anywhere- I suppose it's an alternate fix.

I've been thinking; suppose the defender HAS to at least match the attackers blocks (i.e 2 attacking blocks, at least 2 defending blocks must participate in the skirmish).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Tete Montoliu - Tootie's Tempo
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My 1973 Revised edition says this in the Movement section of the rules:

5. DECOYS wrote:

Decoys may NEVER be moved by themselves, or left by themselves in any zone. They must always be accompanied by one or more 'normal' units.

BTW, there is a Variants folder for suggested rules changes. I've flagged this thread as 'wrong folder'; hopefully an admin will move it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
exorad wrote:
That rule isn't specified anywhere- I suppose it's an alternate fix.

Like Sphere's, my decoy rules say it.

FWIW my rules say "Copyright 1972, 1973, 1985."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.