Subject: 4x Game recommendation rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mr Deltaz
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello!
Yesterday I came to the realization that I am missing a 4x game in my collection!

I have played TI3 and Xia. I haven't yet played Eclipse but I am hoping to eventually play it.

While I like the concept of these games, I don't want to spend my whole afternoon or day playing one. Also, Anything that plays for more than 2.5 hours in my collection rarely sees the table (for numerous reasons) so I don't want to buy TI3, Eclipse, or Xia.

Is there a game out there that fits this role but can be played in 2.5 hours or less?

I know that the more you play a game you can reduce the playing time, but I am hoping that the teaching game won't go over 3 hours.

Edit:

The things I enjoyed about TI3 and Xia were:

1)Going to different planets to get different benefits from them. (selling and buying on Xia, I can't remember what they did on TI3 but I remember each planet had a symbol that helped with something)
2)The space/sci-fi theme really appeals to me and would like something like that
3) The different upgrades/technologies that you can buy to make your ships or civilization better.
4) The special abilities for each race
5) The possibility of having PvP combat on these games.
6) positioning of the board and movement is important

Now that I think about it, I own Kemet and it hits a lot of points that I like, but I feel like it doesn't scratch the same itch because the board movement is not that interesting or crucial (you can get to anywhere from pretty much anywhere on the board).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Boykin
United States
Baton Rouge
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Galactic Emperor perhaps? Ascending Empires?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Reisinger
msg tools
mbmb
I dont really think so. Part of the appeal of TI3 is the time invested to weave that epic tale of space conquest. It is hard to concentrate that experience in a timely 2+ hours.

What part of the games you mentioned are most important to you? Is it the exploration, diplomacy, civ building or conquest? I think I could better recommend a game based on what interests you about epic games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miles Stevenson
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
I agree with Roger. Epic, deep games take time. It's a bit like fitness: you can't take shortcuts if you want the best results. There's just no way to cram a satisfying, epic strategy game into a short time frame.

I think your best bet might be Empires of the Void by Ryan Laukat. It's a solid game (not true 4X but close), but certainly not epic. There is a lot about the game I don't care for, including the awkward, oversized ship tokens, but it's a pretty quick game for what it is. Don't expect this to feel anything quite like a deep 4X game, but it I do think it's fun and worth a look. Honestly, it will probably fit the bill for you better than anything else I can think of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cliff hutton
United States
Plymouth
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
well once you play eclipse, you should get it down to 30min/players so for 4 players it does fit the bill.
Not sure for the teaching game if you can get it down to 3 hours, but think you can.

another game that is more 3x is Terra Prime ( A good game with some pickup and deliver with the exploring )

Also consider Star Trek: Fleet Captains. plays fast and you get a lot of the 4x .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not at all a connoisseur of 4X games, but I enjoy Quantum and have heard it called "sort of kind of a mini-4X, if you look at it right". It doesn't have a fixed arc-- well, you need to expand first, but whether you exploit or exterminate (or both), and in what order, is more open-ended.

In my experience, it's a so-so half-hour with 2 players, and a fun tense 90 minutes with 3. You can adjust play time with different tile layouts (some suggested on the back of the manual).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Buckle
United Kingdom
Thornton Heath
Croydon
flag msg tools
designer
NSKN are publishing my next game :)
badge
Omega Centauri Published in 2014
mbmbmbmbmb
Shameless self-promotion, but my game Omega Centauri is a 4x game playable in this time frame, in fact the base game you can get done in about an hour

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Gabriel
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+ 1 for Ascending Empires.

I'll add Impulse. It's a very striped down 4x game that plays in around 30 to 45 min. It's a solid enjoyable game but does not have the depth of something like TI3. Personally I enjoy both quite a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tonny Wille
Belgium
9310 Meldert
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not the best guy to answer this but still I'll give it a try:
Conquest of Paradise Not a true 4x game but still nice. Exploring and building your civilisation in a historic setting
Space Empires: 4X Never played it but i got a friend who enjoys this
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad vanVugt
United States
Baltimore
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will second a recommendation for Empires of the Void. My wife and I like to play it frequently and it fits the bill for a deeper 4x-ish style game that we can knock out in a reasonable amount of time and works well with 2 players (which many games in this genre, like Eclipse, usually don't do well).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Galactic Civilizations IV - it's still in Early Release on STEAM but it's going to be pretty sweet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Nolan
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mb
I don't have personal experience but on the surface Tiny Epic Kingdoms would appear to be what you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared
United States
Telford
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
How about Eminent Domain (with Eminent Domain: Escalation). It is lighter and faster to play but gives the flavor of 4x for those that don't want to slug it out for hours.

If you want an even faster, lighter, micro game there is Eminent Domain: Microcosm on Kickstarter and in stores in the future.

Eminent Domain + Escalation Runthrough:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZPiDOBPS9s

Eminent Domain: Microcosm Runthrough:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEdHlxC51CY

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert S
Germany
Baldham
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ascending Empires is a dexterity game.
Quantum is a great game but is lacking on the eXplore side.
Eminent Domain is also a good game but lacking on the eXterminate side, you have nice ships, but they are just an alternative to colonize your planets.
Core Worlds (+ exp) is more of a deckbuilder, but it is a game that should be mentioned.

I would recommend Cosmic Empires, because it has variable starting powers, all 4x, a nice mechanism to rebuild your lost fleets (you don't have to pay resources, so even if you lost some ships you can rebuild your fleet timely to stay in the game) and secret victory conditions and stays in the 1.5-2 h range. Only downside it isn't very strategically, but more dependent on tactic, luck and "mistakes"(miscalculations or oversights) by your opponents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barbarick
United States
Ashland
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to agree with Tonny, Conquest of Paradise sounds like the game for you. It is not a space 4X game, and the tech is a little weak, but everything else is there. Instead you are colonizing pacific islands which are randomly drawn for if you discover an island or open sea.

The playtime is definitely within your time range, my wife and I can play a game in an hour or less. It plays up to 4, but I cannot say how well, as we only played it four player once and have not played three player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Deltaz
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the suggestions!

Out of all those recommended I got interested in the following:

Ascending Empires: Seems to be out of print?
Galactic Emperor: I can't find it on the online catalog of one of the stores I visit, I need to check if the other one has it on store
Empires of the Void: None of the stores I frequent seem to have this on their catalog, so no idea how to even get this one. Plus I hear of a sequel in the works?
Omega Centauri: Not released yet but it caught my interest. Any idea when is coming out to stores?

Seems like I can't find any of the games above and I may be able to get Omega Centauri in the near future.

1)Going to different planets to get different benefits from them. (selling and buying on Xia, I can't remember what they did on TI3 but I remember each planet had a symbol that helped with something)
2)The space/sci-fi theme really appeals to me and would like something like that
3) The different upgrades/technologies that you can buy to make your ships or civilization better.

Now that I think about it, I own Kemet and it hits a lot of points that I like, but I feel like it doesn't scratch the same itch because the board movement is not that interesting or crucial (you can get to anywhere from pretty much anywhere on the board)

I own Eminent Domain and I like it, but it gives a different feel from the games above, it is still mainly a deck builder game at its core.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Reisinger
msg tools
mbmb
I was going to mention Kemet but it lacks the space theme. I would check out Exodus Proxima Centauri, not to be confused with the already mention Omega Centauri.

Here is a link, and check out the Tom Vassel review if you want to see how the game works:

boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/122842/exodus-proxima-centauri

Happy Gaming!

Deltas wrote:
Thanks for all the suggestions!

Out of all those recommended I got interested in the following:

Ascending Empires: Seems to be out of print?
Galactic Emperor: I can't find it on the online catalog of one of the stores I visit, I need to check if the other one has it on store
Empires of the Void: None of the stores I frequent seem to have this on their catalog, so no idea how to even get this one. Plus I hear of a sequel in the works?
Omega Centauri: Not released yet but it caught my interest. Any idea when is coming out to stores?

Seems like I can't find any of the games above and I may be able to get Omega Centauri in the near future.

Now that I think about it, I own Kemet and it hits a lot of points that I like, but I feel like it doesn't scratch the same itch because the board movement is not that interesting or crucial (you can get to anywhere from pretty much anywhere on the board)

I own Eminent Domain and I like it, but it gives a different feel from the games above, it is still mainly a deck builder game at its core.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Eastwood
United States
Windham
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Chaos is a ladder
mbmbmbmbmb
This question is easy....

Space Empires 4x

I avoided this game long ago because of the spreadsheet included, and man I wish I had those years back. The game is simply amazing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Deltaz
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lowecore wrote:
I was going to mention Kemet but it lacks the space theme. I would check out Exodus Proxima Centauri, not to be confused with the already mention Omega Centauri.

Here is a link, and check out the Tom Vassel review if you want to see how the game works:

boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/122842/exodus-proxima-centauri

Happy Gaming!

I really enjoy Kemet, but I am hoping to find something with more interesting board movement.

I will check the video on once I get home
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Deltaz
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eastwoodk wrote:

Space Empires 4x

I avoided this game long ago because of the spreadsheet included, and man I wish I had those years back. The game is simply amazing.

Can you comment on the playing time? It seems to be out of my criteria that is why I didn't look into it too much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Folsom
United States
Wilmore
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bigreddog wrote:
well once you play eclipse, you should get it down to 30min/players so for 4 players it does fit the bill.
Not sure for the teaching game if you can get it down to 3 hours, but think you can.

another game that is more 3x is Terra Prime ( A good game with some pickup and deliver with the exploring )

Also consider Star Trek: Fleet Captains. plays fast and you get a lot of the 4x .

+1 for ST: FC

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Deltaz
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
themaster408 wrote:
bigreddog wrote:

+1 for ST: FC

I am not a big fan of ST so the theme is a bit off putting. On the other hand my wife is a big fan...that may work...I will take a look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rob oren

Florida
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played space empires at dice tower con. The sheet looks like a science project but it is so easy and the game is so wonderful there is a great video on YouTube from the designer what a great job he did I really think this is one of the best 4x games played in 90 mins

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe empires of the void?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lane Taylor
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deltas wrote:
eastwoodk wrote:

Space Empires 4x

Can you comment on the playing time? It seems to be out of my criteria that is why I didn't look into it too much.

Play time is typically in the 4-5 hour range based on my experience. I'm tend to not recommend SE:4X for the reason that it has very limited win condition: you have to eliminate the other players. You could obviously come up with scenarios or make up other win conditions, but the game itself doesn't have that.

In that respect, I think Eclipse is the better game. The first few games of Eclipse will push your time limit, but once players understand it, it goes significantly faster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.