Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Wooden
United Kingdom
Isleworth
Middlesex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this new version of Coup tonight for the first time at the Isleworth Boardgamers in West London - and loved it so much that I immediately bought the copy from the guy who had brought it along!(fortunately he had an extra copy at home...)

For those who have played Coup before, this game will be instantly familiar - yet deliciously different. Games are still played with 3 copies of 5 different roles, and the winner is still the last man standing, but this time the roles are selected from a pool of 25 different ones, guaranteeing that each game will be different from the last.

Each game will have a 'Finance' role (think Duke), a 'Communication' role (think Ambassador) a 'Force' role (think assassin) and 2 special roles (think Contessa or Captain). Because there are so many roles to pick from, the 'counter-actions' have been simplified enormously. Many of the roles cannot be simply blocked by producing another different role, but a number of them can be blocked by another player claiming to have the same role (like Captain - Captain in the original game). Rikki has posted a list of the roles elsewhere, so I won't bother going into detail here.

This new version feels slightly more 'thinky' than the original, which I find can start to feel a bit scripted after numerous plays with the same group. Because each game will likely be played with a different set of roles, players have to consider how these roles might interact, and therefore what the most effective strategy might be. Don't get me wrong, this is still a quick game, full of bluffs and plenty of interaction, but it can't be played on auto-pilot in quite the same way as the original sometimes can.

In short - this is a total hit for me. I loved the original Coup, and this is more of the same, but with so much more variety. The artwork is great, the theme interesting (I won't go into detail about whether or not it makes light of a historically sensitive political situation) and the box is functionally small.

If you liked the original Coup then chances are that you'll really enjoy this too. If you weren't taken by the original game, then CG54 is unlikely to change your mind on that one, unless your main beef was that the original didn't have a great enough variety of roles...

This will definitely be seeing table-time at the Isleworth Boardgamers for many weeks to come....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can I ask what you paid for it? This seems like a great twist on Coup, but its currently being sold for 18.99 on boardgameguru (plus postage) which seems quite steep for a mini game. Are the components good?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roeland
Belgium
Gent
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I paid 20 euros for it at Spiel. The components are basically just cards and some cheap plastic coins. The cards are good quality though.
If you play coup a lot it's really worth it, no two games will ever be the same and there are some really interesting roles in the deck. The artwork isn't the best, but better than some and the theme is great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
MrMT wrote:
Can I ask what you paid for it? This seems like a great twist on Coup, but its currently being sold for 18.99 on boardgameguru (plus postage) which seems quite steep for a mini game. Are the components good?

There are over to 130 cards in this. Not really a mini game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Only 37 Pounds Sterling delivered to the US!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Axford
United Kingdom
Stockport
Greater Manchester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrMT wrote:

I picked this up from there for £18.99 (with some other games I was getting anyway, so with no extra postage cost). I'd be reluctant to go anywhere near recommending it at this point since I've only played a few games. So far it seems interesting. The varying role combinations (I hastily calculate there to be 6875 5625 possible combinations if you stick to the setup recommendations) seem like they'll keep every game interesting and different, but I'm already sensing that this variety also means that the cards might not have such interesting and balanced interactions with each other (counteractions, for instance, now work only against duplicates rather than different roles). Time will tell how this plays out.

Regarding the components, I find the art style mostly charming. The cards are quite small, 87x56mm. The printing on some of the cards is not correctly centred, resulting in a noticeable imbalance in the white borders on the longer sides. What's worse, the problem seems to be consistent within the roles. This is obviously detrimental to a bluffing game, but it's difficult to casually notice over the table, and since the roles are different every game it is something you would have to make conscious effort to take note of every single time in order for it to affect your play. Still, if you play with the sort of person who would try to do this, then you would have to either adopt a policy of concealing your influence cards in your hands or sleeving them.

Of course, consider that I may be too forgiving as a result of post-purchase rationalisation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
Danzo wrote:
(I hastily calculate there to be 6875 possible combinations if you stick to the setup recommendations)

Picking 2 out of 10 special interest cards, there are 45 combinations. One each from each of the other three categories means 45 * 5 * 5 * 5 = 5625
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Axford
United Kingdom
Stockport
Greater Manchester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Asmor wrote:
Danzo wrote:
(I hastily calculate there to be 6875 possible combinations if you stick to the setup recommendations)

Picking 2 out of 10 special interest cards, there are 45 combinations. One each from each of the other three categories means 45 * 5 * 5 * 5 = 5625

Ah yes, so it does. My method was correct but my calculations on paper went awry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Wooden
United Kingdom
Isleworth
Middlesex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrMT wrote:

I paid £15 for it pre-Essen, and I think that it's worth every penny. The cards are certainly good enough quality, considering that they rarely get shuffled (compared to most card games) and aren't handled that much either. The art looks great to my uneducated eye - simple but effective.

I haven't noticed any misaligned printing on my copy, although I haven't been looking that closely for it. The coins are plastic with a dollar sign printed on them. Admittedly not great, but at that price point I'm not expecting metal coins!

It's been well designed, with dividers for each set of cards (a la Trains etc) which also explain exactly how each role works. This makes locating and understanding each card much easier.

I've now played this a dozen times, and am enjoying it immensely, as each game feels quite different with the roles selected. I expect it to be around for a long time to come as a fun and interactive filler, with loads of replayability. My only fear is that my copy of regular Coup might start to gather dust... cry

Anyway, definitely value for money in my book!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I really don't like coup, but played this and loved it.

It isn't just the variety of roles, it is that they are a notch more interesting and situational. That brings just the right amount and type of information into the game when someone claims a role that is suspiciously perfect for them given the game state. Similarly on your turn you find yourself more tempted to lie about that perfect role you do not have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Hunt
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eldaec wrote:
I really don't like coup, but played this and loved it.

It isn't just the variety of roles, it is that they are a notch more interesting and situational. That brings just the right amount and type of information into the game when someone claims a role that is suspiciously perfect for them given the game state. Similarly on your turn you find yourself more tempted to lie about that perfect role you do not have.

I'm perhaps a little confused by your use of "suspiciously perfect" and maybe I'm reading too much into it.

It sounds like you're saying that someone might claim a role that not only do they not have, but might not actually be present in the game.

The five chosen roles for the game should be public, so claiming a role other than one of those five, no matter how suspiciously perfect it is, would make no sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I'm just saying that because the roles are less generic, cool stuff that changes the game happens more often, and every time cool stuff happens, I found it fires the other players spider sense about whether that player is risking a bluff.

I get that you are choosing from 5(+2) options, but 5 much more engaging options than vanilla coup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maldus Alver

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Asmor wrote:
MrMT wrote:

There are over to 130 cards in this. Not really a mini game...

The box is huge by the way. All the contents could easily fit in a box that is half it size. A mentor of mine pointed out that it is set up for many expansions and I think he is likely to be correct on that assumption.
General critique is spot on with the OP. If you have played Coup before, it might start out slow but soon will pick up the pace to a normal coup game.

Now for the nit-picks besides the over-sized we will release expansion for more money container. The rule booklet is very sparse, and there are no quick references on how the cards work. Having to lean over the table and read all the cards may force players to send information with their body language and such. A simple reference sheet with all the card abilities would have been nice. It doesn't have to be as detailed as the role selection cards, something with the same text as on the role action cards would be nice. Also it seems like less cross class interactions, especially with the counteractions. The only role class with counteractions is force and that is to counter themselves. In traditional coup you had ambassador could counteract captain, contessa could counteract assassin. Here you only have assassin can counteract assassin, and depending on the draw special interest may have a counter or it may not. So in those inevitable expansions a special interest that can counteract all force role actions would be nice. Also on the cards there are some that would just be better in larger games such as the protester which would be better in 5-6 player games and in 3-4 player games it really would be better if left out. Now on the role selection cards there are certain roles that are listed as advanced but a player number like 5+ would have been much better. Again something for expansions.

Now despite that long laundry list I still like it and don't regret picking it up. I don't find it compatible with the classic coup and as for reformation I still say probably not but as a standalone game it is still a good game and my club that played it with me liked it a lot. I will be picking up the expansions that more than likely will come along just to get more variety in the game. So it seems like something that will see much play later on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For anyone stumbling upon this thread, it's worth noting that all posts before Maldus's are referring to the original La Mame Games version, not the IB&C version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.