Subject: This or the original? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Barker

Redondo Beach (90277)
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I played the original Trains and really enjoyed it. I found that the board really added to the game and I personally enjoyed the artwork and theme much more than other "deckbuilders" out there. I'm wanting to buy one of them and the rising sun expansion looks awesome so far. What is the difference? Is there a reason to not jump strait to this one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dano
United States
Little Rock
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
No, I can't get you Stamps.
mbmbmbmbmb
They have different cards. I haven't played the new one yet, but I would guess it's probably a better starting point *if* you plan to play with 2 players, as it includes two 2-player boards (plus a 4-player board).

If you're playing with 4, then it's probably fine to start with either one.

This one also includes the new "route bonus" cards, which encourage players to build routes on the board more, as opposed to just trying for a VP-card strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Champagne
United States
Mobile
AL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say that if you're playing with more experienced gamers, or you anticipate more 2-player games, you want Rising Sun.

If your gaming group would prefer a simpler game, or you will rarely play with just two players, get the original.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad vanVugt
United States
Baltimore
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel if you don't own the original and you don't need both, rising sun is the one to get. it helps fix a lot of the "issues" the base game had and as others have mentioned is better with 2 players if you'll find frequent occasion for 2-player games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.