Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Worker Placement and Area Control Micro Games. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Horoszowski
United States
Pleasantville
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love some recommendations for some micro or at least tiny worker placement and area control games for my portable gaming box.

I'm trying to get as many good examples of different mechanics, player counts, and complexity/appeal levels into this thing as I can. It's about the size of a shoe box but made of oak and nicely put together.

My collection has grown quit a bit so my old current list is going to change quite a bit.

I already have Province which, for it's simplicity, I found quite fun but I'm looking for more suggestions. I haven't found an area control game yet at all.

If you'd like to get an idea of the space i'm working with you can see this video I put together a while back..

http://youtu.be/4VtFwioqPvQ

Thanks.

[Edited for typo in title]


 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Levan
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hast ye seen the White Whale?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Work Placement and Area Control Micro Games.
Coin Age is area control.
This Town Ain't Big Enough for the 2-4 of Us is probably area majority/area control

Depending on size, Eight-Minute Empire might fit.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Horoszowski
United States
Pleasantville
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Work Placement and Area Control Micro Games.
Feeling stupid for not thinking of Eight-Minute Empire. Thanks! Coin Age is the the wallet already..
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chearns
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Work Placement and Area Control Micro Games.
Katego is an area control game. And it's two dice, a piece of paper, and a pen.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jin Juku
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Work Placement and Area Control Micro Games.
I don't know if it's exactly what you're looking for, but Sail to India is a small game with some worker placement aspects to it.

I enjoy it quite a bit, though I don't think it would play well 2 players. With 3 or 4, it does quite well.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Oakley
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Work Placement and Area Control Micro Games.
I was about to recommend Province, but then I noticed that you said you already have it.

Perhaps Targi is small enough? It is 2 player only, but it is a pretty tight worker placement game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley
United States
Ball
Louisiana
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Targi is an absolutely wonderful game, but it's 2 player only.

I'd check out Harbour. It's not out yet, but you can do the PNP. It's a great game too.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Levan
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hast ye seen the White Whale?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm also working on a few micro worker placement style games, but they're not ready to release yet. Hopefully I'll be able to share more soon.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe OddVille will fit. Especially as someone made card sized alternatives for the worker placement areas, you could probably fit the whole game in a deck box with those.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Seb. ●leoskyangel●
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
badge
I play games not to win, it's the gathering that's important - Thanks for the tip Cate108!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely Province for a worker-placement micro-game. Also check out the 18 cards microgamw contest here on BGG (sorry for not linking as I'm on mobile).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anton Tolman
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 on Harbour; great fun.
I would also suggest Tiny Epic Kingdoms. It kickstarted a bit back and should be in my hands any day now and may be in retail soon. It has very nice elements of BOTH worker placement and area control.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Horoszowski
United States
Pleasantville
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I backed as well... Checking the mail every day.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Horoszowski
United States
Pleasantville
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dranton wrote:
+1 on Harbour; great fun.
I would also suggest Tiny Epic Kingdoms. It kickstarted a bit back and should be in my hands any day now and may be in retail soon. It has very nice elements of BOTH worker placement and area control.


It arrived today!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Horoszowski
United States
Pleasantville
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jukujin wrote:
I don't know if it's exactly what you're looking for, but Sail to India is a small game with some worker placement aspects to it.

I enjoy it quite a bit, though I don't think it would play well 2 players. With 3 or 4, it does quite well.


Thank You... it came yesterday and it's perfect... even has a small technology track which I was missing from the mechanisms list.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jin Juku
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
calaban9 wrote:
jukujin wrote:
I don't know if it's exactly what you're looking for, but Sail to India is a small game with some worker placement aspects to it.

I enjoy it quite a bit, though I don't think it would play well 2 players. With 3 or 4, it does quite well.


Thank You... it came yesterday and it's perfect... even has a small technology track which I was missing from the mechanisms list.


Excellent, I'm glad to hear that!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
river tam
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Xanadú and Letnisko are worker placement card games. The first you can get from the designer and the second is from Poland and funagain imports it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Horoszowski
United States
Pleasantville
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
hippiephysicschick wrote:
Xanadú and Letnisko are worker placement card games. The first you can get from the designer and the second is from Poland and funagain imports it.


Having actaully spent summers in the polish countryside with my grandmother... Letnisko is now a must...

Thank You for bringing it to my attention!



 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.