Popular Tags: [View All]
Aron Clark
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've watched the tutorials and played one game. Now I'm ready to start building my own teams and really get stuck in.

Need some advice on how to best organize / manage my collection (1 starter and roughly 60 boosters). It looks like I have extra cards and dice, and looking over the various trade threads seems folks trade cards and dice separately.

How many of each card do I want to keep in my collection, 1? How many dice of each type, 4? Wondering how others are approaching this and appreciate any advice on the subject.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Smits
Netherlands
Nijmegen
Nederland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Well, it depends on what you want for the game,

If you are a casual player, 1 card and 3 of most dice will be enough. But that differs between high cost heroes (Like Hulk, Thor, heroes that only have 5/6/7 costs) which you can get away with just having 2 dice for. And low cost heroes (Beast, Human Torch, Black Widow, 2/3 cost heroes) Which you can want at least 4 for. I won't advise you to get 4 of each, because I can't imagine you ever wanting 4 6 cost dice on your team. Except if you really like a specific 4/5 hero, then just get the max.

As for the cards, diversity is better. You really only need 1 of each if you are just providing for one player. I'm completing my Common/Uncommon collection at Essen, I also picked out a few rares I really like and then I'll be done with AvX. That's how I plan on expanding my collection from here on out.

If I like the set:
1.Buy a Starter + Booster box and split the boosters with 1 or two friends
2.(Optional: Buy a few additional boosters from my FLGS if I'm in town)
3.Pick out the cards I really like from that set, and at least complete the Commons/Uncommons.

Of course once this game is like 5 Marvel Sets and 3 DC Sets in, I'll have quite a library of characters and options for each character, so I will probably tune down my purchases by then.

Quick note, my friends and I already agreed that we are all allowed to use the AvX dice with the Uncanny character cards and vise versa, as long as the dice are identical (except coloring ofc.). This eliminates the need to collect some dice from AvX, as those will come back in Uncanny (Cap, Spidey, Iron Man, Prof. X and a few others.)
Keep that in mind too before you go on a buying spree and end up with a bunch of useless dice.

But most importantly:
Cards>Dice (unless you're proxying)

This is all for a casual collection, if you went to get into Competitive Play, you'll have to ask someone else

Tl: DR:
4 dice for 2/3 cost heroes
3 dice for 4/5 cost heroes
2 dice for 6/7 cost heroes
Pick out what characters you really like and only complete those, unless you ofc are a rich completionist, then just buy everything you can.
Keep in mind some dice will be identical (except coloring) in Uncanny, unless you play by the official tournament rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Weakland
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
I aspire to have enough dice for two players to play no matter what. I am pretty close to having 6-8 dice for each character after playing in OP's. I store mine in an art bin from Joann fabrics. It holds every card for AVX including the Promos and up to twelve of each die.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas P.
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Basementcuts wrote:
I aspire to have enough dice for two players to play no matter what. I am pretty close to having 6-8 dice for each character after playing in OP's. I store mine in an art bin from Joann fabrics. It holds every card for AVX including the Promos and up to twelve of each die.

I play a shared pool and I find that only having 4 dice available is helpful because it means neither of us can have a full set of a really powerful character in our bag. Forces diversity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Taylor
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I was also after 2 play sets. I went for 10 of each dice as the trays(Set-up Box) fit 5 dice in one row. I used a spare Quarriors box to house the other play set. I went for 3 of each common and uncommon cards even though only 2 of each is enough. I dont like having gaps in my folders if I can help it. I am pedantic like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Ho
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have 2 cards each and 10 dice each, so each player can have the complete set of picking what he wants. Minimally, I would have 1 card each and 4 dice each.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I am going to do a collectible game to me, it is "Go hard or go home". Now that is not everyone's style, you have to find what you are comfortable with and roll with it, no pun intended. How I collect is very different than how you will, even if we both want to own all the cards, our approach will be different.
The best advice I can give to you is if you are looking for specific cards, join the Rainbow Draft events at your FLGS if possible. You will pay for the 12 boosters you open, but you draft from many more than that. Each Draft I pick up an additional 4 or so rare cards. If you have duplicates you can trade them typically 1:1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forrest Evans
United States
Goleta
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with G-Man. The rainbow drafts are probably the most efficient way to get your collection built without ending up with an excessive amount of duplicates. You don't have to wait for a tournament though. If you can get a few people together you can buy a feed together, run your own draft, and end up with cards you definitely need and cards to trade. Since the spread of cards is fairly consistent in the gravity feeds you can have an idea of what you will end up with too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron Clark
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys, all helpful bits of advice. I've decided to organize my collection as 1 card each, and the max limit of a specific hero die. If anyone is interested you can see my trade list here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/172652/item/3499803#it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.