Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Patman
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I'm new to Netrunner and want to build a Gabe deck.

Why is Faerie so good. Looks like a one-shot use? How do you make it work and when do you use it etc? What's it combo with?

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Axel
msg tools
Faerie is a killer, some sentries tends to be nasty. You can facecheck with only a Faerie on the board without the fear of losing a program or being tagged/netted/brained.

Once the ICE is rezzed you can go for your killer (Mimic/Femme).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Presley
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's basically a tool to protect your programs from getting destroyed by sentries before you have a permanent killer online. Gabe thrives on constant pressure, and can't afford to slow down because an ICE might be Rototurret or Neural Katana, and Faerie keeps Gabe safe so he can keep making runs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yi Sheng Siow
msg tools
You run HQ. They rez wraparound. You special order corroder. You get in HQ. Yay.

They ice HQ again, or they ice the remote and install inside the remote. Now your biggest fear should be rototurret/grim, which would destroy your corroder(which is a huge deal for gabe), and your ability to get into HQ.

Enter faerie. Install the faerie, run amok. Rototurret costs 4 to rez, so it's a tempo hit for corp to rez it and not have it do anything, while you break it for free. Grim hates faerie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Kinslow
United States
Piperton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
↳ Do one brain damage ↳ Do one brain damage ↳ End the run
badge
Real heroes wear pink.
mb
Also, I usually tend to look at Faerie as kind of an economy card. It can bust up an Archer or Komainu on the super-cheap. Even if you have a breaker suite, if you have the memory you might want to install that Faerie just to earn 4-6 virtual credit savings on a run.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rana Puer
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the game!

My advice:

Don't worry about Faerie just yet.

Build a Gabe deck without any Faeries, and go play a bunch of games.

At some point, you will run into a sentry that will hurt you a lot. In fact, you will probably do this more than once across multiple games.

That is when you want to play and use Faerie. You will develop a sense of when Corporations want to destroy you with sentries, and you will know when to use Faerie to prevent this.

Seriously, my best advice is to go play a bunch of games. You'll start to intuitively understand better and better the more you play. Don't worry too much for now; it will come naturally with experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
msg tools
Also worth noting, Faerie provides protection against power shutdown on your more valuable icebreakers (i.e. corroder)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Rubin
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mpatman wrote:
Hi all,

I'm new to Netrunner and want to build a Gabe deck.

Why is Faerie so good. Looks like a one-shot use? How do you make it work and when do you use it etc? What's it combo with?

Cheers
Just want to add in that nobody in this thread has mentioned Crescentus yet. If you play Faerie and Crescentus, you one-shot Faerie on those big sentries like Archer, Janus, Flare, or whatever. Then thanks to Crescentus, those ICE are also one-shots for the corp.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Jennings
United States
El Cerrito
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The short answer is that the three types of ice are different. Barriers stop you, sentries hurt you, and code gates do weird stuff. Typically, if you hit a barrier or a code gate unprepared, you aren't thrilled, but you can go find an answer. If you hit a sentry unprepared, it can really mess you up.

The reason Faerie is good is because it makes it so that you can run facedown ice without much in the way of danger.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One reason from the core:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Unmeel Banerjea
United States
Edison
New Jersey
flag msg tools
More than any other ICE, Sentries are at their most effective the first time you rez them. Rezzing a Grim that does nothing except use up a Faerie is not great for the Corp. Rezzing an Archer- even more so.

With Faerie, you not only gain facecheck protection, you get something more- you can make the Corp not even bother with rezzing the Sentry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
General Norris
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
The thing is that there are many early game sentries that you don't want to facecheck. You don't want to hit Komainu, Rototurret and Draco which means you need a breaker but spending the money on Femme Fatale so early is a difficult.

Faerie solves that issue and works as an economy card later in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John F
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As has been said above Faerie lets you:

- avoid most early net damage (e.g. Neural Katana) which could cause you to lose irreplaceable cards, like your ICE breakers

- run constantly. Worst that can happen is your run ends. Oh well. Now you know you DO need to install that Corroder/Gordian Blade. You do. You continue running.

- Beat the REALLY nasty ICE for cheap. Even after you have your "permanent" breakers set up, a Faerie can turn a "damn I can't get that last agenda in time!" to "Yup, I got all I need." In those final runs of a game, Faerie can be the difference between getting in or admitting defeat.

I was skeptical of Faerie too when it first dropped. It's been a LONG time since I haven't put 3x in a Criminal deck without feeling naked.

edit: Oh, also forgot that Faerie is great for forcing a cheap Account Siphon run. You lose your Faerie but you just made a boat load of cash.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.