Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Automobile» Forums » General

Subject: how much better is the 4-5 player game compared to the 2 player variant? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sam Mason
msg tools
I've had Automobile for a long time already but have only played the 2 player variant with my wife, which have always fell flat. I haven't brought out this game with our play group for fear of the same results. So far, their favorite game is The Resistance: Avalon. Lost Legacies also went quite well. The only game we've played that comes close to Automobile in terms of mechanics and play time is Puerto Rico, which didn't go so well because of game length. Brass also had the same result: good game, but just a little too long. How much better is the 4-5 player game compared to the 2 player variant?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot better. Frankly, I can't even imagine playing it only 2-player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's one of my favorite games. But then, I've never played it with just two players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
László Horváth
Hungary
Veszprém
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Even with 3P, it is lacking the tense calculations and outguessing your opponent - for me at least - I refuse to play this with less than 4.
With 4-5, it's the properly tight experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Mason
msg tools
I've always thought it might be better with more players, but I just had to ask Actually I was just weary of introducing another more calculating game after the apparent flop of Puerto Rico. I guess play group was spoiled by the excitement of hidden role games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls