Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Brock
United States
Killeen
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
I'm not too familiar with this game, it was before my entry into board games, but I do have various uses for the terrain pieces and was wanting to obtain a large portion or a large amount of all the terrain. Tiles, trees, castles, you name it. I am a bit of a completionist, but I'm not sure all of what terrain is out there, and I also know it's a good idea to get multiples of the same sets to make really great big maps. Let me know if you're interested in selling your terrian!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D S
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Watch eBay for lots and watch the Heroscapers trade subforum for deals that interest you. Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Brock
United States
Killeen
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
I started looking at lots, and I started to realize that I'm not sure what a more completed set of terrain for Heroscape would look like. I know there's no such thing as a complete terrain collection, but I would like to be close. I would like some sort of help on this front, there's all kinds of sizes and styles, I'm not sure what's what.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, you could do one of each set that had terrain, but I'm not sure that's the most effective way to spend your money. Much of the terrain from the base sets is interchangeable.

The lava one (Voltarren Wasteland or something) is rare and expensive, and Road to the Forgotten Forest might be fairly expensive because it is highly sought after. RttFF has trees, roads and a bridge. The castle one is fairly cheap and comes with roads. It should be fairly easy to pick up multiples, if things haven't changed that much since I got mine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Lookee what he can do! He wants a job!
mbmbmbmbmb
ds3272 wrote:
Watch eBay for lots and watch the Heroscapers trade subforum for deals that interest you. Good luck!

The trade sub forum at heroscapers.com, to be a little more clear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ashburn
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a pretty good collection guide, with terrain counts, located over at Heroscapers. Maybe you'll find it useful for figuring out what sets are available and what kind of terrain is contained in each set.

http://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=13259

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Weintraub
United States
Commack
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Lock him up!
mbmbmbmbmb
You're a completionist? Getting into Heroscape? Hope you have deep pockets, cause it'll cost you.

Short version:
4 Master sets
Rise of the Valkyrie (rocks, grass, water, sand)
Swarm of the Marro (as above, plus swamp water)
Battle for Underdark (same as RotV, plus shadow and 3d rocks)
Marvel (concrete, tarmac)

5 Terrain-specific expansions
Fortress of the Archkyrie (castle - towers, door, ramparts, battlements, road)
Road to Forgotten Forest (Road, bridge, trees)
Volcarren Wasteland (lava and molten lava)
Thaelenk Tundra (Ice,snow 3d ice/glaciers)
Ticalla Jungle (brush and jungle trees)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Ry
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Skip the jungle one.
You'll pay thru the nose, and you can just just as easily make your own tiles with jungle trees.

The road to the forgotten forest is a good set to get two of.
That will give you a nice handful of big trees and a couple bridges.
Unless you end up liking the trees a lot, or want more bridges, Id say make your own trees tiles from there forward.
Fairly simple to do.

The Lava set, if recommend getting one to two of if you have a need for Lava.
Or, as an alternative if you're not one that has to have the real thing, buy water tiles and spray paint them bright orange.
And repaint some basic tiles for the Magma ones.
Not hard to do.

The ice one though, I'd say get one or two of.
The ice tiles are nice, and if has huge glacier rocks that I personally like.
But again, you could easily paint some water tiles white, and do some basic tiles white and blue for snow.
Then the rocks, you can always make your own rock tiles.

The D&D master set had some nice terrain to it.
But again, easily modded to make your own.

For sure, I'd day get two each of the Rise and Swarm base sets of terrain.
Plenty of material material and variety there.

Regarding the castle.
Two sets should be more than enough.

The terrain is fairly cheap compared to the figures.

Especially if you're not opposed to painting your own basic ones to represent whatever terrain you're looking for.

I personally bought all the true sets, minus the jungle one, because I liked the look and wanted true heroscape stuff to have for the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Warbanner wrote:
You're a completionist? Getting into Heroscape? Hope you have deep pockets, cause it'll cost you.

Short version:
4 Master sets
Rise of the Valkyrie (rocks, grass, water, sand)
Swarm of the Marro (as above, plus swamp water)
Battle for Underdark (same as RotV, plus shadow and 3d rocks)
Marvel (concrete, tarmac)

5 Terrain-specific expansions
Fortress of the Archkyrie (castle - towers, door, ramparts, battlements, road)
Road to Forgotten Forest (Road, bridge, trees)
Volcarren Wasteland (lava and molten lava)
Thaelenk Tundra (Ice,snow 3d ice/glaciers)
Ticalla Jungle (brush and jungle trees)

To add to this and clarify....

Rise of the Valkyrie (ROTV) also comes with two different ruined buildings.

Swarm of the Marro comes with Swamp Terrain AND Swamp Water.

Underdark comes with Dungeon Terrain.

Marvel also comes with a ruined two-story building, complete with a removable wall section for "damage" during play.

I honestly don't want to go get my sets to give a full tile-size breakdown, but be aware that while multiple sets may have grass terrain, or rock terrain, or so forth not every set has the same sizes of tile. There are one, two, three, and seven-hex pieces of various sorts, as well as large "plates" of hexes. Not every terrain type comes in all those sizes.

Also, water, molten lava, ice, swamp water, and shadow only come in single-hex-tile form. There are two colors of water...the original semi-transparent "sparkly" water and the newer opaque blue water.

All terrain hexes (not the flat "water" style tiles from the above paragraph) come in only one style...the various terrain types are just paint jobs. The only terrain hexes that are physically different are the road/castle ones which have a cobblestone pattern.

Trees, buildings, ruins, rocks, glaciers, bridge sides, ramparts, etc are all physical plastic objects and not tiles or hexes.

I personally think the jungle terrain set looks really good. I'm glad I got them and wish I'd bought more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Weintraub
United States
Commack
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Lock him up!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for filling in my gaps. BTW, the "plates" are 24-hex pieces, and are absolutely crucial for making maps. Rise of the Valkyrie has the most of those, so you're definitely going to want a minimum of 2 RotV sets.

Also, while grass, sand, rock, and swamp hexes are different colors, they behave exactly the same for game purposes. Just FYI.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Ry
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Warbanner wrote:
Thanks for filling in my gaps. BTW, the "plates" are 24-hex pieces, and are absolutely crucial for making maps. Rise of the Valkyrie has the most of those, so you're definitely going to want a minimum of 2 RotV sets.

Also, while grass, sand, rock, and swamp hexes are different colors, they behave exactly the same for game purposes. Just FYI.

I get impression the OP is going to use the terrain for a different game(s)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Brock
United States
Killeen
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
ropya wrote:
Warbanner wrote:

The intent is for custom Trains maps with hopes that Heroscape Terrain will translate over to the Magic the Gathering game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Ry
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sabett wrote:
ropya wrote:
Warbanner wrote:

The intent is for custom Trains maps with hopes that Heroscape Terrain will translate over to the Magic the Gathering game.

Huh. Trains?

Is that like railways of the world?

And even if it isn't directly compatible, I don't see why you couldn't today the Magic game on HS terrain.

That said, to everyone, if you want more HS terrain, get it now.
If that Magic game is compatible with HS terrain, expect the demand, and therefore the cost, to rise. Quickly.

Glad I have more than enough terrain. By far.
In fact I think that'll be added to my project list, cataloging my HS terrain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
sabett wrote:
ropya wrote:
Warbanner wrote:

I'd say it'll be overkill for the Magic game. It looks like they use very little terrain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Ry
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nerman8r wrote:
sabett wrote:
ropya wrote:
Warbanner wrote:

I'd say it'll be overkill for the Magic game. It looks like they use very little terrain.

Nonsense. cool
You can can never have too big of a battlefield.
That's like having too much loot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Lookee what he can do! He wants a job!
mbmbmbmbmb
ropya wrote:
Huh. Trains?

Is that like railways of the world?

It is more like Dominion with a board, but much better than that sounds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Tete Montoliu - Tootie's Tempo
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
People are spending too much energy making lists of terrain for the various HeroScape sets and expansions - it's already done and only a click away, right here on BGG.

Just click Heroscape Master Set: Rise of the Valkyrie at the top of this page, scroll down to the More Information block and you'll see Components listed for RotV. The terrain is shown like so:

6 Grass Tiles (24 Hex)
5 Grass Tiles (7 Hex)
5 Grass Tiles (3 Hex)
5 Grass Tiles (2 Hex)
16 Grass Tiles (1 Hex)
2 Rock Tiles (24 Hex)
3 Rock Tiles (7 Hex)
3 Rock Tiles (3 Hex)
3 Rock Tiles (2 Hex)
6 Rock Tiles (1 Hex)
2 Sand Tiles (7 Hex)
2 Sand Tiles (3 Hex)
2 Sand Tiles (2 Hex)
4 Sand Tiles (1 Hex)
21 Water Tiles (1 Hex) (early versions were packed with transparent tiles embedded with sparkles.)
2 Ruins (3 Hex and 2 Hex)

It lists everything else as well; figures, glyphs, markers, dice, etc. All the other BGG Heroscape listings have the same thing - go to the game page, scroll down and see exactly what each set contains.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a quick note, especially if your main intent is to use it for other games, that some people also sell custom terrain they make themselves that is otherwise not available. For example, I have 24 hex sand and snow pieces that were not officially released, which some craftsman made out of original pieces by painting them over.

When I first saw the game back in 2004 (Happy Tenth Year Anniversary, Heroscape!) I thought: 'Oh, that's nice, a kids game with cool terrain.' Then a pal got me my first Master Set and a few of the first expansions that Christmas, and I was done for. BTW, some hobby con flea markets will offer sets, sometimes with the terrain only.

Now I own it all, in multiples, with Heroclix supers, etc. And I've also used it for other games, such as Star Wars Minis (1 inch equals 1 hex). Oddly enough, of all the people I've gamed with for general board games and 54mm miniatures over the years, my four person game group which Scapes that assembled some few years ago is the only one that's kept together as a group (or one that I wanted to stick with), and is still going today.

I guess you could say it attracts the right kind of people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.