United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
So I have been suffering at the wrath of a group of heroes who are particularly strong, and in some cases (I feel) overpowered. We started with the "draw three, pick one" variant for hero choice, but a flaw with this system is that it is subject to a lot of swinginess; with a good draw heroes can end up with top tier characters and with a bad draw it can be debilitating right away.

So I was thinking, what's another way we can try to alleviate the issue without throwing stuff off too much? And is there a way to allow for full choice?

There have been several topics here attempting to rank the heroes into different tiers, and this would be an extension of that.

Suppose there were four (five?) tiers of heroes: -1, 0, 1, and 2.

If a hero player chooses a hero in Tier 2 at the beginning of a campaign, the OL may immediately spend 2 XP. If a hero player chooses a hero in Tier 1 at the beginning of a campaign, the OL may immediately spend 1 XP. If a hero player chooses a hero in Tier 0, there is no effect.

I haven't decided which would be better for Tier -1 heroes, but I have two ideas:
1. If a hero player chooses a hero in Tier -1 at the beginning of a campaign, that offsets the bonus XP for the overlord by one. (e.g. One hero chooses a Tier 1 character and another chooses a Tier -1 character, then the Overlord gains no bonus.)
2. If a hero player chooses a hero in Tier -1 at the beginning of a campaign, then that hero gains 1 XP to spend immediately. (e.g. Sure, Eliam is a total wimp of a Warrior, but maybe he would be more enticing if he started with Brute.)

The big issue with this idea is the ranking. For one, it would need to be done to fit this idea, and for two, it's pretty subjective so it might be difficult to get people to agree on it. Still, I wouldn't mind facing a Nanok or an Elder Mok if I knew it meant I got a little bit of an XP boost at the beginning because of it.

If I have more time today I may post a tentative ranking for use with this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Crawford - Greybeard
United States
Amarillo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love your idea, Darren. Looking forward to the results.

If I can help in any way, let me know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Einich
Switzerland
Geneva
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have even gone down from being dealt 3, choosing 1 (which we used through Road to Legend, Sea of Blood and Shadow Rune) to being dealt 2 of each class (so 8 in total), deal 2 of them randomly to each player who then each choose among two for Labyrinth of Ruin. We ended with an ok team (Brother Glyr, Grey Ker, Dezra the Vile, Nara the Fang, leading 3-1 in quests).

Your ranking system would indeed be good for choosing. For those who don't want to give the OL advantages or disadvantages, they could also simply set a maximum total for the whole team, like 0, 1 or 2. Nanok or Logan would then have to team up with zeroes or even minus ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Johnson
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
I think this is a great idea. Elder Mok has been the thorn in my side, and will be even more painful once he starts tossing my level 2 and 3 overlord cards cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.