West Chester
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Experimental Train has a value of 2. It also has an effect:
+1 Waste
+1 Money

On page 6 of the rules:
"If the card you played is an Action card, you may apply its effects if you wish."

Experimental Train is not an Action card - do I have to apply its effects? I'm trying to puzzle out why 1 money was separated from the value of the card, since I can't find any situations where it would be relevant given the current card pool.

Two follow-up questions:
Engineer: "Choose a [Train] card in your play area. This card copies the card you chose." - I get the value AND the effect, right?
Stationmaster Office (from the base set): "Choose an [Action] card in your hand. This card copies the effect of the card you chose." - I don't get the value (if any), right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the game yet, but this sounds like this: if you decide to use the special action on the train, you gain 1 extra money, but also 1 waste.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Crane
United States
Sherman Oaks
CA
flag msg tools
mbmb
It is meaningful for Amusement Park as well, which duplicates the base value of a train in play. Playing Amusement Park + Experimental train would not generate the extra coin again (in the same way that Amusement Park + Freight Train + X waste won't generate X extra coins again)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Tama
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1 money is separate from the value of the card because it costs 5 instead of 6 like the Limited Express Train. So it is slightly cheaper than a Limited Express Train but has the same potential value with an additional waste. The waste generated can then be used by cards like Recycling Center where you get more money for returning waste from the discard pile. Or the waste might not be generated if the Surveyor is played before the Experimental Train.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Reimer
United States
West Chester
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The consensus appears to be that you can choose not to apply the effect on Experimental Train. I'm leaning toward that myself as I just reread the example on page 6: "If you choose to apply Distant Partners’ effects..."

Neither Distant Partners, nor Experimental Train are Action cards (they do not have the Action symbol). I was initially reading the rule about applying effects as literally as possible: "If the card you played is an Action card, you may apply its effects if you wish..."

It should probably read: "If the card you played has effects, you may apply them if you wish..."

Thanks, everyone who weighed in. :]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Ellis
United States
Aloha
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
Try a new game today :)
badge
Happy Gaming!
mbmbmbmbmb
pence wrote:
The consensus appears to be that you can choose not to apply the effect on Experimental Train. I'm leaning toward that myself as I just reread the example on page 6: "If you choose to apply Distant Partners’ effects..."

Neither Distant Partners, nor Experimental Train are Action cards (they do not have the Action symbol). I was initially reading the rule about applying effects as literally as possible: "If the card you played is an Action card, you may apply its effects if you wish..."

It should probably read: "If the card you played has effects, you may apply them if you wish..."

Thanks, everyone who weighed in. :]

Yes.

Enjoying the discussions and thanks for your understanding. It isn't easy to get everything perfect in the rules despite multiple outside players/proofreaders. However, I assure you that we did our best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.