Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone! I've developed this solo variant for Mint Tin Aliens. I'd appreciate any feedback / comments / suggestions anyone may have! Hope you enjoy it. It is a high-score variant, but with quite a bit of strategy as to how to progress through the rounds.

Setup:
- Shuffle the merit award cards, and deal into 3 piles (blue-side up). There will be one pile with 1 less card than the other two piles - that's fine;
- Shuffle the playing cards and deal 4 cards to yourself;
- Place 5 playing cards face-up in a row and place the remaining cards face-down in a draw pile.

Order of play - each round:
- Draw 2 cards, as per normal game's draw rules (2 face-up, 2 face-down, or 1 of each; if a moolti-pass is drawn from face-up cards, you don't get a second draw). Replace any drawn face-up cards as soon as they are drawn with cards from the draw pile;
- If you are able to now complete one of the top merit card piles' awards, you MUST do so, using cards from your hand - discard the required player cards to the discard pile, take the completed award card, flip it over, then place it in a 'completed awards' pile.
- If you are unable to complete an award, you MUST instead choose one of the top merit card pile's award cards to discard to a 'failed awards' pile (I tend to put these in a sideways pile just above the merit card piles so there's no way to confuse them with completed awards).
- If the draw pile for replacing face-up cards is depleted at any time, re-shuffle the discard pile to make a new draw pile.

Special cases:
- If all face-up cards happen to be the same type at any point, you MAY (only if you want to) discard them to the discard pile, then reshuffle the discard pile into the draw pile, and re-lay out 5 new cards.
- If 3 moolti-pass cards end up in the face-up cards, you MUST discard those moolti-pass cards to the discard pile, then reshuffle the discard pile into the draw pile, and replace the 3 face-up spaces with new cards.
- You may end up with no cards left in your hand. That's fine (though see note in Tactics, below).

Game end:
When all the award card stacks are depleted, the game is over.

Add up all the points shown on your 'completed awards' cards (awards that had to be discarded to the 'failed awards' pile are not counted). This is your score for the game.

Try to beat your previous highest score! The maximum possible score is 60 points, achievable by completing every award card (and so by implication having had no failed awards). This is theoretically possible, but pretty unlikely to achieve (at least in my playtests so far - I'm nowhere close yet!).

For comparison, my scores so far have been: 35, 43, 37, 41, 41, 36, 40.

Tactics:
- When you inevitably are unable to complete any of the 3 merit cards piles' top cards, requiring you to discard ("fail") one, choosing which to discard is important - discarding a low-point card may be a smaller loss, but discarding a higher-point card (such as Mind Control) may be better for you in the long-run if none of the currently available face-up draw cards nor cards in your hand relate to that merit card.
- You may at some point end up with no cards left in your hand. That's ok, but you need to be aware that merit cards may soon come up (or already be there!) that require 3 or more matching cards to complete, which you won't be able to complete in one turn when you only get to pick up 2 cards per turn!
- Once each merit card pile starts to run out, it'll likely become harder and harder to complete any merit card on a given turn. Failing awards becomes much more frequent close to game end - so try to plan ahead!

Let me know any ideas for improvements, or anything that may be "broken" in these rules.

Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Greenwood
United States
White Bear Lake
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Nick. I made a Pocketmod of your MTA - Solo Variant rules. Is it okay to post it on BGG?

Print at 70% to fit nicely into the tin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Grejam53 wrote:
Hi Nick. I made a Pocketmod of your MTA - Solo Variant rules. Is it okay to post it on BGG?

Hi Jim,

Yes, sure, no problem!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Miller
United States
Portsmouth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
That's fantastic! Thank you Jim! =)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.