Popular Tags: [View All]
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that FFG is doing The Lord of the Rings saga expansions and they are going to be getting into the second book, is anybody else hoping they finally release a Gollum hero/ally? Could lead to some really fun twists, like the heroes in the Voice of Isengard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brain
United States
Belvidere
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm definitely guessing No.
But if they make him an ally I'm guessing he'll be an objective ally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, he was a temporary ally in the books...it would be cool to have him as a part of your deck outside of a specific quest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yea, I've been wondering about this. I think an ally Gollum makes a lot sense. Hero is probably pushing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Btȝ patrem nrum, Benedictum
mbmbmbmbmb
JonBen wrote:
Hero is probably pushing it

said almost everyone about a Gandalf hero at one point or another.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
mbmbmbmbmb
John85 wrote:
JonBen wrote:

For very different reasons. Gandalf doesn't work against the protagonists of the story and try to murder them. He helps them too, of course, and I would never say never.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't one of the heroes in The Voice of Isengard a villain from the book, though? Gollum has his own agenda. He's a maverick, unpredictable, but not a villain. I'd love to see his selfishness worked into a hero ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryin
United States
Tyler
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JonBen wrote:
John85 wrote:
JonBen wrote:

For very different reasons. Gandalf doesn't work against the protagonists of the story and try to murder them. He helps them too, of course, and I would never say never.

Grima anyone?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes Grima is a hero in a non-saga box, that's different it's Grima before he becomes corrupt. They could do 'Gollum' before he becomes corrupt but they would need to start a new non-saga time frame for that, and then invent a reason to have 'Gollum' as a hero instead of the uninteresting Hobbit that he was before finding the ring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grima & Saruman. I fully expect there will Objective Ally/Ringbearer versions of the Gollum in upcoming boxes. Along with Ringbearer Sam.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I could, perhaps see a Gollum fellowship sphere hero happening, but that could be problematic since it looks like box 3 and 5 will have Aragorn and 4 and 6 will have new versions of Frodo (or maybe a Sam?). I don't know, book 4 objective ally ("need Gollum to advance to next quest stage" type thing; we haven't seen that before whistle) and book 6 maybe objective ally, def. enemy (boss type thing).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mighty Rauros
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kittenhoarder wrote:
Isn't one of the heroes in The Voice of Isengard a villain from the book, though? Gollum has his own agenda. He's a maverick, unpredictable, but not a villain. I'd love to see his selfishness worked into a hero ability.

He eats babies.

I'm just saying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milen Krastev
Bulgaria
Sofia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
BathTubNZ wrote:
Grima & Saruman. I fully expect there will Objective Ally/Ringbearer versions of the Gollum in upcoming boxes. Along with Ringbearer Sam.

I think they are heroes, because the whole Ring-maker cycle take place years before Saruman corruption.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kmazut wrote:
BathTubNZ wrote:

I think they are heroes, because the whole Ring-maker cycle take place years before Saruman corruption.

And Saruman wasn't a hero in that box, just an ally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Rogers
Canada
Kamloops
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I totally see Gollum as some sort of fellowship ally that helps you make progress against "Mordor" locations or something to that effect, but perhaps you have to raise your thread each time you use him or each turn he remains in play... Or maybe some sort of discard the top card of a deck effect where he deals damage equal to that cards cost/threat. Probably a powerful ally in the context of the saga expansions with some sort of a liability in any event.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Lent
United States
Novato
California
flag msg tools
badge
DEFINITELY A GOOD GUY, GUYS
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe he could be an objective ally, where having him in play lets the players bypass obstacles and stuff. Like the Baggins resources in OHaUH, his guidance can make things easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Stapley
United States
Lyman
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kmazut wrote:
BathTubNZ wrote:

Saruman's corruption started a long, long time before anyone found out about it. In the first millennium of the third age (The War of the Ring is around 3010 Third Age) Saruman begins his search for the ring when it comes to his attention that Isildur (the man who cut the ring from Sauron's hand but couldn't throw it into Mount Doom) didn't make it to Rivendell on a trip. Isildur was slain by orcs after trying to escape with the ring. The ring itself used its free will to fall off while he was swimming in the river, but no one ever found Isildur's body. After Saruman is cast from Orthanc, it was discovered that Saruman had a secret safe with all of Isildur's belongings, including a pouch to hold the ring for safekeeping. Saruman became corrupt very shortly after (and perhaps before) he was given the keys to Orthanc by the Steward of Gondor in about 700 Third Age.

All of this is from the Unfinished Tales.

As for Grima, he's a bitch anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Moore
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about this... we have two cards: Smeagol (an objective ally) and Gollum (an objective enemy). Smeagol begins the game in play, controlled by the first player, while Gollum begins the game out of play. A quest card later instructs you to remove Smeagol, and add Gollum to the staging area (always engaged with the first player).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lwdgames wrote:
How about this... we have two cards: Smeagol (an objective ally) and Gollum (an objective enemy). Smeagol begins the game in play, controlled by the first player, while Gollum begins the game out of play. A quest card later instructs you to remove Smeagol, and add Gollum to the staging area (always engaged with the first player).

Just flip him over. Perhaps treachery cards could trigger it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mighty Rauros
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BathTubNZ wrote:

This might be exactly what you mean, but a double-sided objective ally/enemy would be amazing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Moore
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jrsinor wrote:
BathTubNZ wrote:

This might be exactly what you mean, but a double-sided objective ally/enemy would be amazing.

I just assumed that FFG would do it as 2 separate cards instead, but yeah.

It would be perfect for Shelob's Lair. Smeagol helps the heroes through the tunnel, then Gollum teams up with Shelob to go after the ring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Moore
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's another idea... what if he's a risky non-objective ally? Someone who is useful if you can keep him in line, but will turn on you when it suits him best. Perhaps his text would be something like this:

Forced: If Gollum leaves play while controlled by a player, add him to the staging area as an enemy instead. Gollum's [willpower] then becomes his [threat], and he is no longer controlled by any player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
secoAce -
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gollum is definitely not a Hero or a permanent ally.
But I'd love to see a new mechanic where you can capture, entice, or convert an enemy to be a hostile or temporary ally, and not just with Gollum.

Make Gollum an enemy with the usual threat, attack, defense stats. If there were new rules on how to capture and turn him into an ally the threat becomes a Willpower stat (could even be a different value). Maybe like when you defeat him, instead of discarding, he becomes captured and moves to your area.

But have some kind of drawback, like an upkeep cost. Maybe it costs resources at every turn, or maybe you need to exhaust a character to 'keep an eye' on Gollum. If at any time, you can't meet the upkeep cost, he returns to the Staging area as an enemy again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mighty Rauros
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lwdgames wrote:
Here's another idea... what if he's a risky non-objective ally? Someone who is useful if you can keep him in line, but will turn on you when it suits him best. Perhaps his text would be something like this:

Forced: If Gollum leaves play while controlled by a player, add him to the staging area as an enemy instead. Gollum's [willpower] then becomes his [threat], and he is no longer controlled by any player.

I could see it, but with treachery cards specifically aimed at making him leave play (that could be cancelled/avoided/etc, but are still a possible threat)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Moore
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jrsinor wrote:
BathTubNZ wrote:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/4/30/the-lan...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.