Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Duckworth
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Something I've been thinking about...

What do you guys think about the continuation of Nightmare Decks? They seem to be cranking out at an amazing pace right now and are quickly catching up with the existing card pool.

I'm someone who loves the nightmare decks and have bought every one so far. However, I always got the impression that the point of them was to give a tougher option for earlier and easier scenarios that the card pool has outpaced. They have been absolutely awesome for refreshing and re-visiting the Mirkwood cycle.

But do modern scenarios even need nightmare equivalents? Does Into Ithilien ever really need a nightmare variant? I shudder to think what that might look like. I just played the Dunland trap for the first time and, like the scenarios of Voice of Isengard and Heirs of Numenor, I just treat the normal version like nightmare and easy mode like the "normal" scenario because of their inherent difficulty. I mean as difficult as almost every scenario is now, it's already too hard to experiment with budding deck styles like Sylvan decks on normal mode.

I always get excited to try new deck types and than play the new scenarios they come out with and get smashed. It's kind of a buzz kill.

Anybody else think this game is tough enough already, that some of the latest scenarios really don't need nightmare variants any time soon? Just curious too other players thoughts on this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milen Krastev
Bulgaria
Sofia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Why not having Hard mode from start? I fear something else. I hope they don't turn them into mandatory buy. If they start making the "normal" quests to be to easy and silently force us to buy NM decks to have more challenge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Dove
United States
Las Animas
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This brings up a question that I've been pondering for a while. Is the need for a nightmare deck based more on the strength of the deck you are using or your skill at playing the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Dove
United States
Las Animas
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This brings up a question I've been pondering for a while. Is the need for a nightmare deck based more on the quality of the deck you are playing or your skill at the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bbb ccc
Australia
flag msg tools
mjd83 wrote:
They seem to be cranking out at an amazing pace right now and are quickly catching up with the existing card pool.

(snip)

I always got the impression that the point of them was to give a tougher option for earlier and easier scenarios that the card pool has outpaced

This is the problem with the nightmare decks. They used to be designed as a way to increase the difficulty of the quests to allow them to be viable choices as the player card pool grew larger and the player decks got more and more powerful.

Having them released from the start, or even released at the current speed completely negates that idea.

The nightmare decks are coming out so fast now, that the player card pool is not expanding fast enough to make them matter (in that way). So while the original Mirkwood Nightmares breathed new life into those quest that hadn't seen play for ages and made them viable to play again with current strong decks, the nightmares now are are coming out so fast now are going to be outpaced by the player decks at about the nearly the exact same time as the original quest are.

In short, the new nightmares are no longer about adding longevity to the quests. The are simply coming out so fast that the current card pool can easily deal with them.

kmazut wrote:
Why not having Hard mode from start?

So while I agree that the design of nightmare should just be the normal design, nightmare quests themselves.. should not be released until the player card pool has expanded and the powerlevel of the player decks has massively increased.

I think they are coming out way to fast.

When they originally came out it was awesome, and yes the quest are better.. often fixed.. but people are beating them on the very first try WITHOUT modifying their decks in anyway...

mjd83 wrote:
Does Into Ithilien ever really need a nightmare variant?

"Super Friends" (Gandalf, Elrone, etc) deck out now can whip Ithilien no problems

and this is my point. This deck also beats all the current nightmares with ease as well, so now we need "super nightmare"

Mr_Dove wrote:
Is the need for a nightmare deck based more on the quality of the deck you are playing or your skill at the game?

quality of the deck.

The more powerful your deck is the less skill you need to beat a quest. Netdecking takes out deck construction skill (if you do that)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Davis
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Will we need an Ultra Nightmare deck series in another ~3 years, when the player card power level has continued to creep upward?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.