United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
Bitches!
badge
Hourglass Nebula
mbmbmbmbmb
I have all the expansions and I have added most card types into their respective base game decks. For example, I have a deck of Unique Items consisting of the cards from the base game plus the cards from all the expansions. For Unique Items, though, I wonder about the proper distribution of the Elder Signs. I count five total. There are a substantial number of other Unique Items. If I play with five Elder Signs, what is an appropriate number other Unique Items to play with?

Similarly, is there anything else I should be aware of? For example, I have chosen to play with 11 random Ally cards instead of the entire deck, so that the Terror Track (and other effects?) means something.

Card types I have combined: Mythos (all), Gate (Arkham only), Location (Arkham only), Common Items, Skills, and Spells, along with the aforementioned Unique Items and Allies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
While not addressing your question the Ally number (11) is a rule when adding expansions rather than a choice. I have not seen any other such rules though. I also know some people remove elder signs. A simple, consistant method may to include a number proportionate to the total card count when adding expansions. What that is would be down to personal preference I would have thought but I vaguely remember someone doing a chart showing the optimal card mix to ensure a chance of expansion items being seen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sungrazer wrote:
If I play with five Elder Signs, what is an appropriate number other Unique Items to play with?

As many as you have cool . My setup has I think 4 ES in a 96 or 98 card UI deck, turning it from the base game's "oh, look, another ES" to "wow, ES, feels really unique".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We use all Unique Items from all expansions at once, with all five Elder Signs. Ihis works fine for us; there's nothing wrong with drawing an ES being an uncommon and exciting experience.

You will want to be careful adding Gate cards when using expansions boards; if you have too many expansions mixed together, encounters in the expansion Other Worlds will almost always come up "Other", and the worlds will lose their unique feel.

On the other hand, I like to run fairly thick Arkham Locations decks, to keep events varied.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Jones
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
Bitches!
badge
Hourglass Nebula
mbmbmbmbmb
After my game last night, I'm thinking that I need to separate the Mythos deck. Even if a gate opened in Arkham, for example, I sometimes didn't get the benefit of the Clue. So maybe I should use only base Mythos when playing with just the Arkham board, or base + Miskatonic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matěj Jan Morávek
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We do this, when we play with just the base game board and not Kingsport (the only expansion we have so far):

When the mythos card can be resolved in its entirety on the base game board, then we resolve it. Otherwise we just draw a new one. The only exceptions are mythos cards, that place clues in Arkham AND Kingsport, then we simply ditch that Kingsport clue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.