Eldritch Horror: Mountains of Madness» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Session and overview of Mountains of Madness from Arkham Nights rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cthulhu Hunter
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was fortunate enough to demo this expansion Friday night at Arkham Nights. I wanted to give a brief taste of what the experience was like. I apologize in advance if my memory of the game (and names of cards) are a bit fuzzy.

We played against the Rise of the Elder Things, so the Doom Track was 16, and we had to solve 4 Mysteries. As starters we took Silas Marsh (my brothers go to guy), his girlfriend took Barnabus Jones (okay I know I am getting his name wrong, he looks like Gandalf the White, a 4 Infl 3 Will 3 Lore lawyer who is all about the investments) and I took both Wilson Richards (a tough guy who can draw and cycle through cost 1 items, and double reroll with focus tokens) and Charlie Kane (an easy character to run, cause Im not good enough to win with just 3 investigators).

The first Mystery required us encounter Mysteries on City spaces, and draw from a special deck to resolve the encounters with a Pass/Fail tree similar to the Cthulhu and Yog Sothoth decks. The only catch was the Mysteries were only appearing on Wilderness and Sea spaces. Both were solved on the first try, but after the first Clue appeared on Space 5 on turn 1 the next didnt appear until turn 5.

In the meantime our characters powered up, grabbing focus tokens and travel tickets, buying everything in sight, and camping out on locations to improve our stats. Gates opened in places like Tunguska, the Pyramids, and the Amazon, which was weird. Plenty of Mythos cards in the deck and lots of successes on tests, so we were feeling pretty good so far, and not much was compelling us to go to the Antarctic.

As a side note, a lone cultist guarded the Tunguska gate, and Barnabus Jones waited multiple turns before he could buy an axe to supplement his 1 Str to fight the cultist and close the gate. When we checked the sheet to resolve the encounter, it is a Lore -1 test instead of a will test, and when you succeed in this you dont even fight the cultist. Helps to read the cards, right?

Silas also took down a Serpent man and Star Spawn camped out on the Amazon with some dynamite and lucky rolling, and closed the gate there, and Wilson took care of the first Rumor card by completing a Gate enounter on a space easily enough.

The next Mystery that opens up requires us to take out an Epic Elder Thing camped out at Miskatonic camp, which is the first space on the Antarctic board. He can only be damaged if you carry the Elder Artifact (not the right name, but you get it), which boosts 3 Lore when casting spells and has a bonus spell related ability but gives no combat bonus in and of itself. Wilson went on a quick Expedition, lucked out and got an Artifact result to find it, and then travelled next turn to drop it off to Silas. We pooled our resources onto Silas who went in to fight it. He had a spirit knife (best weapon we had at that point) bonus rerolls from bullwhip and lucky rabbits foot, and a pile of 8 clues and 2 focus tokens. It ended up being a slog, requiring several rounds of combat to complete, with the Silas strategy of combat, retreat and heal, and going back in, even with the clues being spent.

In the meantime CK lost 3 health from a Mythos card and died, and was replaced by a librarian whose name escapes me. She had high will and lore, and early on got both a spell that allowed her to banish creatures from gates (Lore +2, banish Toughnesss equal to successes, and on her copy the back allowed 3 or more successes banish any creature regardless of Toughness) She also picked up a unique ally, Father Murzanno, who each reckoning on a 4, 5 or 6 gave her a blessing). So she was able to routinely banish 1 monster a turn from the nearest gate space, which was awesome.

Around the Third Mystery things got rough. The Mystery required you to put the Antarctic located gates on the top of the gate deck, and required 2 closed antarctic gates to be placed on card. As soon as this card was drawn, the next turn the Mythos card made us discard one of the Antarctic gates from the board, leaving the one on the Miskatonic Outpost, but the 2nd on the Plateu of Leng where a huge stack of monsters had accumulated due to Mythos cards, including a Zombie horde. There was also the Tick Tock men rumor in play, which was going to make all the clues go away.

We decided to tag team it, and send everyone together to the Plateau of Leng, rather than risking splitting the team and run the possibility of one or both parties failing. We tiptoed passed a Epic Shoggoth monster that was rampaging in an otherwise empty Antarctic space, and damaging everyone nearby on a Reckoning event, then next turn everyone had a Snowy Mountains encounter and was then able to teleport to the Plateau of Leng. Wilson Richards also used his ability to buy a 1 cost item as an action to give Silas the Kerosene card, which he was about to put to good use.

Silas was the lead player at the Plateau of Leng. We had pooled everyones Clue tokens on him, giving him about 8 or so. After the Librarian had taken out the 2 most tough monsters with her Banish ability, it left a pile of 1 and 2 toughness monsters guarding the gate with the Zombie Horde. Silas cut through them like a Scythe, and with the Lodge follower that gives +1 clue and +1 sanity ended up with like 14 clues or so when he had to fight the horde. That,the kerosene, and some good rolling put an end to the Horde before anyone else had a chance to encounter the space. Silas closed the gate too, and the rest of us felt a little embarrassed and simply drew Plateau of Leng encounters.

In the meantime, the Doom had crept down 5, the Tick Tock men were ready to go off and banish all the Clues, there are about 5-6 Mythos cards left, and the final Mystery is...Place 4 Clue tokens from Encounters on the board onto the Mystery? Not only anticlimactic being the most vanilla Mystery that every faction has, but very dangerous with the Tick Tock men about to go off.

So we go from the Plateau of Leng directly into San Francisco via gate, and 3 of the 4 investigators are able to land on clue spaces to try and resolve them. All 3 succeed...and only 1 of these nets clues, the others give other rewards. Groan. And of course this is the turn the Tick Tock bomb goes off, and no clues on the board, just waiting for something to do. And a nasty gate has decided to spawn in Arkham just for laughs, with a Riot and Lloigor blocking the path to London.

Long story short, we hang around, close some gates to prevent the doom from dropping too low, agonize about the Star Spawn left in Antartica whose gate has closed so we cant Banish him and Wilsons Dark Pact waiting to go off, finally spawn the clues we need and the finish the Mystery at 2 Doom, and I wait for the final shoe to fall. Let me guess - Star Spawn and Dark Pact go off, Dark Pact devours somebody, and Doom goes to zero to snatch defeat (or at least a longer game) from the jaws of victory, except...we pass both rolls. The final Mythos card has the potential to make players lose 2 sanity and stamina, but we all have the ability to discard the 2 items to prevent this and...we won???

In the end, here are my takeaways from the new expansion.

First, the game took 5 hours. Holy cow, thats a long game! Part of it was playing with newer players, part of it was getting used to the new board and cards, part of it was 4 Mysteries not 3 for the Rise of the Elder Things, but still. I checked with another group and their game ran 5 hours too.

Second, the focus option is pretty amazing. You keep them until used, and can sandbag up to two, and not only can they be used to avoid "losing an action" when in the wilderness or when camping out to retry an encounter, they are a nice hedge vs failure. Focus requirements now appear on some of the new Encounters, as in spend 1 focus to succeed, otherwise you fail.

Third, the new characters are nice. All the characters seem interesting and useful (although like the base set I am sure some will ending up being more interesting and overall useful than others). It will be fun getting to know the tricks that individual characters can pull off, and the synergy different groups will have.

Fourth, the gates popping up on odd places lends to a more interesting game, and definitely motivated travel to Expedition spots more often out of simple necessity. A good thing overall, I think.

Fifth, other than the theme and 4 Mystery aspect, the Elder Things ancient ones Mysteries were pretty ho hum, and nothing I hadnt seen before. Granted, I only went through half the deck, but nothing really special jumped out at all.

Sixth, there were a lot of interesting cards in the set. Several new conditions, not just hypothermia, but hunted and hungry too. Unique allies that seemed more powerful then regular allies, and werent just built using a "cookie cutter" approach. By this I mean that in the base game the five allies that boost stats are all +1/1 reroll for that stat. In this one, the character that boosts will gives 1 auto success vs sanity combat tests, plus each reckoning gives a blessing on a 4,5, or 6. The character that boosts observation gives one auto observation improvement when you draw them, then allows a free trade action with characters in the space once a turn.

There are also items and tasks that there are multiple copies of, and the rewards vary, just like the conditions. There are ancient journals to be perused, courier conditions taking you to random areas of the board to collect your reward, a heroic sacrifice you can make, etc.

What of the Mountains of Madness sideboard, and how does it work? Well you can get there as a path the Antarctic, like the paths to expedition spaces in the regular game. You can also make 2 successes on an Influence roll in the city and go right to the Miskatonic basecamp. The Rise of the Elder Thing mission also gives a link based on the scenario from any Gate closing directly to the Plateau of Leng as well. Gates spawning there, and new Mythos cards can cause incentive to go here too (for example, a zombie horde spawned in the Plateau of Leng during our game).

When not playing a Ancient one tied directly to the Mountains of Madness supplement (and BTW they did not spoil the 2nd ancient one at Arkham Nights the only one available to play was the Rise of the Elder Things), there is a Prelude deck to draw from at the beginning of the game, and there will be other Prelude cards in the other big box expansions too (what, more expansions planned by FFG??? I hope that wasnt a spoiler I let out of the box LOL) The Prelude will tell you what sideboard is in play, and give a reward, penalty, and special conditions for the game. For example, the lead investigator might be able to close the first gate in play automatically, or choose to give each investigator in play a focus and a clue point to start. There is a tradeoff for this however, and unfortunately I only glanced at these cards as I left and I dont remember many details other than it was not good. I am guessing in the future that any Mythos or gates tied to the sideboard would just be redrawn if they come up and a different sideboard is in play.

Other than categorically saying that I really like the focus tokens and new character options, it is hard for me to make any sort of definitive review of the expansion. Obviously, playing with new stuff is fun, and I cant wait to get the expansion for varieties sake, but whether in the end the game is truly better for it or not remains to be seen. My impressions were positive though, and I am looking forward to playing it more and making that decision though.

Oh and btw one more spoiler. I did glance through the book accompanying it, and I can confirm that 4x new enounter cards for the named and general cities, both antarctica location encounter decks are x16, the standard x24 encounter decks for both ancient ones, x24 mythos cards so a big variety there, and x6 more expeditions and x6 more gate cards.

There were 6 prelude cards, and 12 mystery cards that somehow work with the prelude cards which didnt get used in our game but I glanced through while putting the game away. It involved ranked mystery level 1-3 and have to solve 1 of each. Wish I had looked closer. I also did see some new monsters in the cup, as well as a shoggoth, elder thing, and giant penguin on the antarctic sideboard, as well as new epic monsters to spawn. Lots more of everything else too but didnt write down the numbers.

Hopefully some other posters will have played more games at Arkham Nights and have sharper recollections than I did. I am looking forward to other players posts and what I missed. If any inaccuracies crept in to this report due to a faulty memory, my apologies. I had to leave early and only got the one game in. Thanks for reading!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cam27 wrote:
First, the game took 5 hours. Holy cow, thats a long game! Part of it was playing with newer players, part of it was getting used to the new board and cards, part of it was 4 Mysteries not 3 for the Rise of the Elder Things, but still. I checked with another group and their game ran 5 hours too.

I was one of the beta testers. Time isn't a bad issue with the expansion; I'm assuming that this was the result of a large number of new players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cthulhu Hunter
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good to hear. My brothers eyes had glazed over by hour 3 and by the end he had lost some real life Sanity. The win definitely helped gain it back though.
BTW I may have been a bit harsh on my review the new Mysteries for the Elder Thing AO. I mentioned no new Mysteries in the summation when in fact the "collect Antarctic gates" one was new. The Mystery that only allows you to have the Special encounter deck research cards in clue encounters in cities is a new twist, even if the mechanic itself isnt new.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allison Macrae
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really interested to hear what any of the new characters that you can remember do. George Barnaby?

Thanks for sharing your experience with us!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it's George.

Additionally, as Xelto said, don't worry too much about playtime: it's true that Rise of the Elder Things has four misteries, but they should be easier to pass than mysteries of other AOs. So, 5 hours is probably due to other elements: new players, playing at an event and not at home (so, more confusion and so on). Plus, you need some time to get accustomed to the new mechanics (focus, the side board, etc)

Thanks for the post, it was good to read

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like the preludes will add some really nice variety. I like it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cthulhu Hunter
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, George Barnaby is it. He was a 4 Infl 3 Lore 3 Will 1 Str 2 Obs character who could as an action make an Influence test to resolve another characters debt or detained condition. He could also spend a clue token to add 1 to the result of one of his dice. He started off with an Investment condition which had the reckoning event that it could cancel out the effects of a debt condition going off. He may have had another item, but unable to confirm what it was.

Wilson Richards was a 4 Str 3 Infl 3 Will 2 Obs 1 Lore character, 8 Stamina 4 Sanity, who could reroll a die twice when he spent a focus, and as an action either buy a 1 cost item automatically, or discard a 1 cost item from the reserve and then take another action. He started out with the scattergun, which added two to his strength in combat, and when used did 2 damage on a roll of 6, but a roll of 1 would remove a success instead. You could only apply this if you used the scattergun as your strength modifier. This combo'd nicely with the double rerolls from focusing to reroll those pesky 1s.

Daisy Walker was a 4 Lore 3 Will 3 Inf 2 Obs 1 Str character, 5 Stamina 7 Sanity, who could as an action make an observation test to gain a random tome from the reserve. She could also take a tome action for free while taking a rest action. She started with a random spell and an ancient journal tome, which was one of the new items with four different versions on the back. The tome I had ended up giving her two clue tokens if I remembered right, and it required an action and succesful observation test to read.

Didnt take as much of a look as I should have at the others. I remember that one of Ursula's actions allowed her to move along an Expedition path and then take another action, ala Silas Marshs action. What was nice about the characters is that even characters that seem to fit the same archetype (ex: Wilson Richards is a Stamina 8 Str 4 Lore 1 fighter who starts with a weapon like Mark Harrigan does) have much different abilities and really do play out a lot differently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Yeager
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
More please, and thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cthulhu Hunter
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I dont have much more, but here is what I remember.

One of the new items was a pair of dice, 3 cost, that allowed you to roll a minimum of two dice when resolving tests, and allowed to to reroll a pair of dice that rolled the same number.

There was a research materials item that I believe was 2 cost, that allowed you to roll a observation test after defeating a monster to discard this card and gain 2 clues. There may have been a minimum monster toughness of 2 to attempt.

There a mineral investment research item that allowed you to make a observation test after surviving a wilderness encounter that I believe also allowed you to discard to gain 2 clues, or maybe it was a different reward. Wilson Richards met the requirements to attempt this at least twice, but I was so busy doing other things that I plumb forgot about the card the entire game. Doh!

Professor Lake (I believe thats who it was) allowed you to spend a clue on the MOM sideboard to automatically get a success. He was a unique character in the MOM sideboard card pile.

The dogsled item allowed you as an action while on the MOM board to move one space and then take an action, ala Silas Marsh. It was also on the MOM sideboard card pile.

The MOM board had several ways to teleport around. The scenario card we were on because we were playing the Rise of the Elder Things board allowed a free teleport from a gate you closed right to the Plateau of Leng (which is the space at the far left of the board, farthest from the Miskatonic camp entrance. A space in the middle also allows a free teleport to the Plateau of Leng space. And there is the dogsled above that helps speed up movement. So there are ways to speed around the board, although Mythos cards can also add roadblocks in the way of random rampaging Epic Monsters too.

In our game our characters were awash in clues. I dont know if that was because between the journals and research items there were a lot more ways to get clues into the pool, if the focus tokens allowed us to succeed more when encounters offered clues and/or allowed us to save them and burn focus tokens instead to get successes, or if we just had a lucky or good game. We had a huge reserve of about 10 or so even before the Silas Marsh/Lodge Follower machine started racking them up, without having a Clue generating character in our pool.

On an Arkham Nights related note, I will also say that I demoed Streets of Arkham too. To me, it felt like an Elder Sign 2.0, with a better Mythos deck, revised entry mechanic that was neat, and the whole facedown adventure card mechanic put a lot more tension back into the game. If you like Elder Sign, I think you are going to love Streets of Arkham.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oleg volobujev
msg tools
mbmb
Very interesting. Thank you

Just wonna be more sure about focys tokens

You can spend a action to purchase one on any space right?
And you can have up to 2 token but no 3 right?
You can use token to reroll any dice on test same as a,clue right?
Something alse about focus tokens?
Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cthulhu Hunter
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Yes, you can take 1 gain a focus token action a turn, and you can take this anywhere. I did not see any limitation on this, like "you cannot take this action if in a space with a monster."
2. Yes, you may have up to two focus tokens at a time, but not more.
3. You place the focus token on your sheet like a clue token. The token is yours until spent, it is not limited to the end of the turn like some people had speculated. The token may be spent to reroll one die, just like a clue token can. It does not substitute as a Clue when you a card directs you to spend a Clue though.
4. Just like some Encounters require you to spend a Clue token to gain a successful result, some of the new encounters require you to spend a Focus for a successful result. So Focus tokens are good to keep on hand even if you have plenty of Clues to spend anyway, just in case.

You're welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oleg volobujev
msg tools
mbmb
Very informative answer about clue tokens . thank you.

Mayve something alse about MOM?
Unique allies have separate deck? And there is also another separate deck for Antartica board. How you purchase them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allison Macrae
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the info. To clarify, you say that Daisy can pass an Observation test to get a random tome from the reserve...do you mean the deck? Or is her ability useless unless there's a tome in the reserve? Also, tomes are double-sided? I take it that means they don't go into the item deck, how do they get distributed? Do you recall how hard the Observation test is?

Also, do you remember the text of any of the other conditions, I recall you mentioned Hunted and Hungry earlier, they sound interesting...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ant
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Excellent writeup and well worth reading . . . but . . . is there any chance you would consider going back to your report and using the edit button to eliminate the "wall of text" format?

As an "older" person I find myself clutching the edge of my chair and falling over sideways after trying to read that massive text block
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
OP, with added paragraphs:

I was fortunate enough to demo this expansion Friday night at Arkham Nights. I wanted to give a brief taste of what the experience was like. I apologize in advance if my memory of the game (and names of cards) are a bit fuzzy.

We played against the Rise of the Elder Things, so the Doom Track was 16, and we had to solve 4 Mysteries. As starters we took Silas Marsh (my brothers go to guy), his girlfriend took Barnabus Jones (okay I know I am getting his name wrong, he looks like Gandalf the White, a 4 Infl 3 Will 3 Lore lawyer who is all about the investments) and I took both Wilson Richards (a tough guy who can draw and cycle through cost 1 items, and double reroll with focus tokens) and Charlie Kane (an easy character to run, cause Im not good enough to win with just 3 investigators).

The first Mystery required us encounter Mysteries on City spaces, and draw from a special deck to resolve the encounters with a Pass/Fail tree similar to the Cthulhu and Yog Sothoth decks. The only catch was the Mysteries were only appearing on Wilderness and Sea spaces. Both were solved on the first try, but after the first Clue appeared on Space 5 on turn 1 the next didnt appear until turn 5.

In the meantime our characters powered up, grabbing focus tokens and travel tickets, buying everything in sight, and camping out on locations to improve our stats. Gates opened in places like Tunguska, the Pyramids, and the Amazon, which was weird. Plenty of Mythos cards in the deck and lots of successes on tests, so we were feeling pretty good so far, and not much was compelling us to go to the Antarctic.

As a side note, a lone cultist guarded the Tunguska gate, and Barnabus Jones waited multiple turns before he could buy an axe to supplement his 1 Str to fight the cultist and close the gate. When we checked the sheet to resolve the encounter, it is a Lore -1 test instead of a will test, and when you succeed in this you dont even fight the cultist. Helps to read the cards, right?

Silas also took down a Serpent man and Star Spawn camped out on the Amazon with some dynamite and lucky rolling, and closed the gate there, and Wilson took care of the first Rumor card by completing a Gate enounter on a space easily enough.

The next Mystery that opens up requires us to take out an Epic Elder Thing camped out at Miskatonic camp, which is the first space on the Antarctic board. He can only be damaged if you carry the Elder Artifact (not the right name, but you get it), which boosts 3 Lore when casting spells and has a bonus spell related ability but gives no combat bonus in and of itself. Wilson went on a quick Expedition, lucked out and got an Artifact result to find it, and then travelled next turn to drop it off to Silas. We pooled our resources onto Silas who went in to fight it. He had a spirit knife (best weapon we had at that point) bonus rerolls from bullwhip and lucky rabbits foot, and a pile of 8 clues and 2 focus tokens. It ended up being a slog, requiring several rounds of combat to complete, with the Silas strategy of combat, retreat and heal, and going back in, even with the clues being spent.

In the meantime CK lost 3 health from a Mythos card and died, and was replaced by a librarian whose name escapes me. She had high will and lore, and early on got both a spell that allowed her to banish creatures from gates (Lore +2, banish Toughnesss equal to successes, and on her copy the back allowed 3 or more successes banish any creature regardless of Toughness) She also picked up a unique ally, Father Murzanno, who each reckoning on a 4, 5 or 6 gave her a blessing). So she was able to routinely banish 1 monster a turn from the nearest gate space, which was awesome.

Around the Third Mystery things got rough. The Mystery required you to put the Antarctic located gates on the top of the gate deck, and required 2 closed antarctic gates to be placed on card. As soon as this card was drawn, the next turn the Mythos card made us discard one of the Antarctic gates from the board, leaving the one on the Miskatonic Outpost, but the 2nd on the Plateu of Leng where a huge stack of monsters had accumulated due to Mythos cards, including a Zombie horde. There was also the Tick Tock men rumor in play, which was going to make all the clues go away.

We decided to tag team it, and send everyone together to the Plateau of Leng, rather than risking splitting the team and run the possibility of one or both parties failing. We tiptoed passed a Epic Shoggoth monster that was rampaging in an otherwise empty Antarctic space, and damaging everyone nearby on a Reckoning event, then next turn everyone had a Snowy Mountains encounter and was then able to teleport to the Plateau of Leng. Wilson Richards also used his ability to buy a 1 cost item as an action to give Silas the Kerosene card, which he was about to put to good use.

Silas was the lead player at the Plateau of Leng. We had pooled everyones Clue tokens on him, giving him about 8 or so. After the Librarian had taken out the 2 most tough monsters with her Banish ability, it left a pile of 1 and 2 toughness monsters guarding the gate with the Zombie Horde. Silas cut through them like a Scythe, and with the Lodge follower that gives +1 clue and +1 sanity ended up with like 14 clues or so when he had to fight the horde. That,the kerosene, and some good rolling put an end to the Horde before anyone else had a chance to encounter the space. Silas closed the gate too, and the rest of us felt a little embarrassed and simply drew Plateau of Leng encounters.

In the meantime, the Doom had crept down 5, the Tick Tock men were ready to go off and banish all the Clues, there are about 5-6 Mythos cards left, and the final Mystery is...Place 4 Clue tokens from Encounters on the board onto the Mystery? Not only anticlimactic being the most vanilla Mystery that every faction has, but very dangerous with the Tick Tock men about to go off.

So we go from the Plateau of Leng directly into San Francisco via gate, and 3 of the 4 investigators are able to land on clue spaces to try and resolve them. All 3 succeed...and only 1 of these nets clues, the others give other rewards. Groan. And of course this is the turn the Tick Tock bomb goes off, and no clues on the board, just waiting for something to do. And a nasty gate has decided to spawn in Arkham just for laughs, with a Riot and Lloigor blocking the path to London.

Long story short, we hang around, close some gates to prevent the doom from dropping too low, agonize about the Star Spawn left in Antartica whose gate has closed so we cant Banish him and Wilsons Dark Pact waiting to go off, finally spawn the clues we need and the finish the Mystery at 2 Doom, and I wait for the final shoe to fall. Let me guess - Star Spawn and Dark Pact go off, Dark Pact devours somebody, and Doom goes to zero to snatch defeat (or at least a longer game) from the jaws of victory, except...we pass both rolls. The final Mythos card has the potential to make players lose 2 sanity and stamina, but we all have the ability to discard the 2 items to prevent this and...we won???

In the end, here are my takeaways from the new expansion.

Second, the focus option is pretty amazing. You keep them until used, and can sandbag up to two, and not only can they be used to avoid "losing an action" when in the wilderness or when camping out to retry an encounter, they are a nice hedge vs failure. Focus requirements now appear on some of the new Encounters, as in spend 1 focus to succeed, otherwise you fail.

Third, the new characters are nice. All the characters seem interesting and useful (although like the base set I am sure some will ending up being more interesting and overall useful than others). It will be fun getting to know the tricks that individual characters can pull off, and the synergy different groups will have.

Fourth, the gates popping up on odd places lends to a more interesting game, and definitely motivated travel to Expedition spots more often out of simple necessity. A good thing overall, I think.

Fifth, other than the theme and 4 Mystery aspect, the Elder Things ancient ones Mysteries were pretty ho hum, and nothing I hadnt seen before. Granted, I only went through half the deck, but nothing really special jumped out at all.

Sixth, there were a lot of interesting cards in the set. Several new conditions, not just hypothermia, but hunted and hungry too. Unique allies that seemed more powerful then regular allies, and werent just built using a "cookie cutter" approach. By this I mean that in the base game the five allies that boost stats are all +1/1 reroll for that stat. In this one, the character that boosts will gives 1 auto success vs sanity combat tests, plus each reckoning gives a blessing on a 4,5, or 6. The character that boosts observation gives one auto observation improvement when you draw them, then allows a free trade action with characters in the space once a turn.

There are also items and tasks that there are multiple copies of, and the rewards vary, just like the conditions. There are ancient journals to be perused, courier conditions taking you to random areas of the board to collect your reward, a heroic sacrifice you can make, etc.

What of the Mountains of Madness sideboard, and how does it work? Well you can get there as a path the Antarctic, like the paths to expedition spaces in the regular game. You can also make 2 successes on an Influence roll in the city and go right to the Miskatonic basecamp. The Rise of the Elder Thing mission also gives a link based on the scenario from any Gate closing directly to the Plateau of Leng as well. Gates spawning there, and new Mythos cards can cause incentive to go here too (for example, a zombie horde spawned in the Plateau of Leng during our game).

When not playing a Ancient one tied directly to the Mountains of Madness supplement (and BTW they did not spoil the 2nd ancient one at Arkham Nights the only one available to play was the Rise of the Elder Things), there is a Prelude deck to draw from at the beginning of the game, and there will be other Prelude cards in the other big box expansions too (what, more expansions planned by FFG??? I hope that wasnt a spoiler I let out of the box LOL) The Prelude will tell you what sideboard is in play, and give a reward, penalty, and special conditions for the game. For example, the lead investigator might be able to close the first gate in play automatically, or choose to give each investigator in play a focus and a clue point to start. There is a tradeoff for this however, and unfortunately I only glanced at these cards as I left and I dont remember many details other than it was not good. I am guessing in the future that any Mythos or gates tied to the sideboard would just be redrawn if they come up and a different sideboard is in play.

Other than categorically saying that I really like the focus tokens and new character options, it is hard for me to make any sort of definitive review of the expansion. Obviously, playing with new stuff is fun, and I cant wait to get the expansion for varieties sake, but whether in the end the game is truly better for it or not remains to be seen. My impressions were positive though, and I am looking forward to playing it more and making that decision though.

Oh and btw one more spoiler. I did glance through the book accompanying it, and I can confirm that 4x new enounter cards for the named and general cities, both antarctica location encounter decks are x16, the standard x24 encounter decks for both ancient ones, x24 mythos cards so a big variety there, and x6 more expeditions and x6 more gate cards.

There were 6 prelude cards, and 12 mystery cards that somehow work with the prelude cards which didnt get used in our game but I glanced through while putting the game away. It involved ranked mystery level 1-3 and have to solve 1 of each. Wish I had looked closer. I also did see some new monsters in the cup, as well as a shoggoth, elder thing, and giant penguin on the antarctic sideboard, as well as new epic monsters to spawn. Lots more of everything else too but didnt write down the numbers.

Hopefully some other posters will have played more games at Arkham Nights and have sharper recollections than I did. I am looking forward to other players posts and what I missed. If any inaccuracies crept in to this report due to a faulty memory, my apologies. I had to leave early and only got the one game in. Thanks for reading!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cthulhu Hunter
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the save Bleached Lizard! I corrected the original post and will avoid the dreaded wall of text in the future.

I believe that Daisys text was that you drew a random Tome from the deck, at least thats how I was playing her and that is what I meant to put on the post. Thanks for the catch, and hopefully I read her card right when I was playing!

There are several new item cards that are double sided like the conditions cards. Each had 4 copies in the game and you dont know what you get until you resolve it. The courier run, that requires you to draw a random location and resolve an encounter there to get the reward, was one of them. There was also an old journal tome that you could draw, that required an action and a standard observation test to get the reward, This is the tome that Daisy started out with. The one that I had gave me two clues when I read it, and this was the tome that I meant when I mentioned it being double sided. Each of these cards, and the other unique allies and unique items specific to the MOM board, was in a separate MOM item deck and not added to the regular item deck.

A lot of the specific unique ally and item cards in this deck are specific rewards given out on the new encounter cards, both on the MOM board and the new encounter cards for the regular boards as well. For example, one of the encounter cards on the MOM board required a test to keep the provisions from being lost to your expedition party during a snowstorm, if you succeeded you drew a provisions item, and if you lost you drew a hunger condition. The hunger card condition was drawn, but it wasnt my encounter and I never asked the drawing player what it did, just allowed them to make the required tests during the reckoning phase. I believe that Father Maruzzo (a Will boosting themed Ally that gave the 1 auto success for will during combat/blessing during reckoning on a 4-6) was given out during a Rome encounter, and that the kid Ally who gave the Observation upgrade/free trade action came from an encounter in San Francisco. You can also use an influence test on the Miskatonic camp to acquire the Arctic Guide ally, who gives 1 reroll a turn on a MOM space.

Thats about all the additional Eldritch goodness my poor brain managed to soak in during the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oleg volobujev
msg tools
mbmb
OK thanks

Sound like there is a special unique items and Allies deck for MOM. So you can get them only if you go Antartika. But when you get them you can use them everywhere right? Actually some of them a useless if you are not in Antartika board since they help only there right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre-Yves Bertolus
France
flag msg tools
Hello, thanks for sharing.

Does someone have more information about prelude ? How is it related to side board and mysteries ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What caused the Gates to open in non-standard locations? Did the Mythos specify the location of the Gate, or was it some other mechanism?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No Need
Canada
flag msg tools
mccrispy wrote:
What caused the Gates to open in non-standard locations? Did the Mythos specify the location of the Gate, or was it some other mechanism?

I believe I read that they added a number of new gate tokens which would be added to the gate stack. The expedition sites any time, the Antarctica ones when using the side board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kelwynne wrote:
mccrispy wrote:

I believe I read that they added a number of new gate tokens which would be added to the gate stack. The expedition sites any time, the Antarctica ones when using the side board.
Thanks for the info. Not sure about increasing the size of the Gate "deck" - when it's exhausted it causes Doom to advance, but maybe that's insignificant compared to the effect of the Omen with so many Gates on the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
Thanks for the info. Not sure about increasing the size of the Gate "deck" - when it's exhausted it causes Doom to advance, but maybe that's insignificant compared to the effect of the Omen with so many Gates on the board.

If you have nine gates out on the board, there's a reasonable chance you would prefer doom to advance rather than put another gate out. Especially a gate off in the #%$& Amazon, or the City of the Elder Things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If anyone has ANY info on Agnes Baker and Patrice Hatheway's starting items, stats, and abilities, please share! I am dying to play as either. Agnes because she has always been a favorite since Arkham Horror, and Patrice because I'm hoping she isn't broken (aka banned) in EH!

Also, I want to know how Agnes compares to Diana, and Daisy, as well as how Patrice compares to Lola and Lily. They seem like similar "types."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allison Macrae
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of Patrice's card was spoiled back at GenCon, as it was the top card on the display of character cards, and can be seen in this thread: Mountains of Madness speculation

Her card is:

Patrice Hathaway
3 lore
2 influence
3 observation
1 strength
4 will

5 Health / 7 Sanity

Abilities:
Action: you may spend 1 clue and 1 [obscured] to improve one skill of your choice.
When you close a gate during an Other world encounter, gain 1 clue and [obscured].

My theory is that each [obscured] is Focus, but that's just a guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathon Neff
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmb
gathraawn wrote:
Most of Patrice's card was spoiled back at GenCon, as it was the top card on the display of character cards, and can be seen in this thread: Mountains of Madness speculation

Her card is:

Patrice Hathaway
3 lore
2 influence
3 observation
1 strength
4 will

5 Health / 7 Sanity

Abilities:
Action: you may spend 1 clue and 1 [obscured] to improve one skill of your choice.
When you close a gate during an Other world encounter, gain 1 clue and [obscured].

My theory is that each [obscured] is Focus, but that's just a guess.

It is in fact a focus. She can get quite powerful relatively quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.