Subject: GWAS: Jutland or the north and the baltic seas? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick Lutz
Germany
Baden-W├╝rttemberg
flag msg tools
Hello,

I've "Cruiser Warfare" already. Now I'd like to buy a game with more possibilities to fight with the german navy.
My problem, Jutland is very expensive and the north and the baltic seas are often sold used much cheaper.
The maps are different, I think, the older (baltic...) looks better, because there are more information shown.
What are the difference between both games? Which one should I buy?

Greetings from Germany

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
'Jutland' is definitely the better choice of the two - the counters got updated and expanded, the scenarios got updated and expanded (a LOT), it's absolutely a better game for it.

THAT SAID - yeah, the operational map is definitely a lot...uglier.

And the other problem is that the operations in the North Sea tend to be a bit...I dunno, "samey". I mean, there is a lot of variety to them, but most seem to be some riff on 'the Germans put to sea and try to achieve an objective before the British wake up'. (And good grief, even as high-level as this game system takes the tactical battles - the battle of Jutland, itself, is STILL a pain in the arse to manage!)

If I might suggest an alternative?

The game that started the series - Great War at Sea: The Mediterranean - presents a MUCH more interesting set of scenarios. And it's got the same earlier style of map that is a lot easier to use...

That said, as with 'Cruiser Warfare', the presence of the German Navy is...not substantial. You've got the Goeben and Breslau (3 different refits of it), given their historical presence, as well as the Moltke and Magdeburg for 'what if' scenarios - but by far, the largest representation the Central Powers get in this title is from the *also*-excellent Austrian Navy.

...and, of course, Turkey. The entire reason for the German gambit in the region.

But the scenarios that the Goeben shows up in are definitely some of the best-playing scenarios in the series, and their scale is such that they don't overwhelm in the way some of the larger ones do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miquel Izquierdo Cazorla
Spain
08030 Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For my, is better North and Baltic. Not only the map (i expected with a thick box a mounted map, most of new scenarios are what if?... And look carefullly at the counters, for example in Jutland all 6 british BC of the Invincible and Indefatigable class have the same plant, in North nd Baltic they are different for the two classes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Lutz
Germany
Baden-W├╝rttemberg
flag msg tools
Thanks for the quick answers.
I'll look now for the mediterranean game. It sounds good.
The big problem with such a great game is in Germany the lack of players...

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.