Thomas Koba
Faroe Islands
msg tools
I feel so stupid. I know it's probably simple, but I've red through the Step Loss/option/retreat rules 9.10 ten times now. And through the examples, but I still don't understand what it all means. I can't explain exactly WHAT I don't understand about it, it's practicly everything about Loss/Option/Retreat. I can't see the logic in the examples.

Can someone possibly explain this part, in a different way, so that I can get my thick head around this? I know it probably is very simple.

Thanx

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Koba
Faroe Islands
msg tools
Re-reading the rules:

As I understand it:
The "L" always happens, on both sides. A loss of X steps.
The Attacker may choose the "o", which makes him loose or retreat one "step" or "hex"
If the attacker chooses to loose that "o" step, the defender must also loose his "o" steps.
If the attacker chooses to retreat the "o" step, then defender does not have to take the "o" step, but he could retreat too, if he wanted

One of the examples baffles me alot (D):
AL1, Do1
(According to my logic, the 1 step loss on attacker happens no matter what. And the Defender can choose to retreat, loose step or do nothing (he's free to take that "o"option or not)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
Start with the attacker's result. L results result in losses, no matter what. If the attacker's result has any "o" part, the attacker may decide whether to take that as a retreat or as a loss. If the attacker takes an "o" result as a retreat, ignore any "e" result (these are beneficial to the attacker.)

Then process the defender's result. Again, L results result in losses, no matter what.

If the attacker had an "o" result that was taken as a retreat, the defender may ignore any "o" result for the defender. Or, if the attacker was wiped out before taking any "o" result, the defender may ignore any "o" result for the defender.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
Siinji wrote:
The "L" always happens, on both sides. A loss of X steps.

Correct.

Quote:
The Attacker may choose the "o", which makes him loose or retreat one "step" or "hex"

No, the attacker must take the "o" (unless the attacker was already completely eliminated by an L.) The attacker's choice is not whether to take the "o", but how to take it. The attacker may take it as a retreat, or as a step loss result similar to how an "L" is taken.

Quote:
If the attacker chooses to loose that "o" step, the defender must also loose his "o" steps.

No. If the attacker chooses to loose that "o" step, then the defender must deal with his or her own "o" result (either by retreating or by taking a step loss.)

Quote:
If the attacker chooses to retreat the "o" step, then defender does not have to take the "o" step, but he could retreat too, if he wanted

Or the defender could even take the "o" step, though this wouldn't normally make sense.

Quote:
One of the examples baffles me alot (D): AL1, Do1

The attacker must take 1 step loss. The defender must then either retreat or take a step loss (unless the 1 step loss eliminated the entire attacking force.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Koba
Faroe Islands
msg tools
Nice, thanks!

So, the only time an "o" can be ignored, is, if you are the defender, and the attacker is eliminated by his L loss, or attacker retreats?

Attacker can never ignore the "o".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonello Salvatucci
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Siinji wrote:
Nice, thanks!

So, the only time an "o" can be ignored, is, if you are the defender, and the attacker is eliminated by his L loss, or attacker retreats?

Attacker can never ignore the "o".

Correct! And welcome to OCS devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kisner
United States
Windsor Heights
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
If the attacker is killed by his result, the defender will still need to take his option result. It is only when the attacker retreats or gets killed BEFORE he can take ALL of his options -- that is, there are still some unfilled 'options' remaining -- that the defender gets to ignore option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Subatomic Birdicle
United States
flag msg tools
*chirp*
badge
*squawk*
mbmbmbmbmb
Siinji wrote:
Re-reading the rules:

The easiest way to conceptualize it, is that the attacker, when given an Option result, has the choice to press the attack, or call it off.

If he presses the attack, he "pays the price in blood" by taking his options as step losses. This escalation of combat forces the defender to decide whether to pay a price himself to hold the ground (taking his options as step losses) or to retreat (taking his options as retreats).

If the attacker calls off the attack instead of continuing it (taking any of his options as retreats) then the defender need not take his own options at all, since the battle has ended with the attacker being repulsed. If the attacker gets wiped out before satisfying all his options, he has no one to press the attack *with* and so the defender can, again, ignore his own options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.