Subject: First Game queries rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter O'Kane
United Kingdom
Whitley Bay
Tyne & Wear
flag msg tools
I've just begun a game and I want to be sure I have grasped the basics of embarking/disembarking. Is the following correct:

The cost to a naval stack for a ground unit to embark in port is 2 MP’s (unless it is already embarked, in which case is pays 2 MP’s for beginning an onboard operation stacked with the ground unit).

The cost to a naval stack for a ground unit to embark from land is 2 MP’s.

The cost to a naval stack for a ground unit to disembark in port is 0 MP’s.

The cost to a naval stack for a ground unit to disembark onto land is 0 MP’s.

Supply Points may be needed to stack in these areas.

Also, Can a unit be isolated if there is a friendly naval stack in the adjacent sea area (to which it could retreat)?

Am I right in assuming that RP's cannot be moved/placed in an urban area without a port like Buna? The main reason why I'm asking is because the Japanese will get stuck in the land area between Buna and Port Moresby if they attempt a push in that direction, as they will no longer be adjacent to Resource Points offshore. The Allied Player, on the other hand, can get around this problem by utilising his Air Transport card.

Peter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
peter1966 wrote:
I've just begun a game and I want to be sure I have grasped the basics of embarking/disembarking. Is the following correct:

The cost to a naval stack for a ground unit to embark in port is 2 MP’s (unless it is already embarked, in which case is pays 2 MP’s for beginning an onboard operation stacked with the ground unit).

If you drop units off in a port, it costs no movement points to embark but because you started the turn stacked

See 7.1.6 and 7.1.7 in the series rules.

It takes 0 movement points to disembark and 2 movement points to embark DURING your operation. But if you started the turn with the naval units in port (think of port as a ground area) and ground units in the same ground area, then it costs nothing to embark. However, the moment you have these units stacked together in a sea area -- meaning you shoved out to sea -- the movement value of your naval unit drops from 6 to 4. So if you started in the sea are adjacent to a port, and you move into the port, embark units, and then move back to the same area that you began (adjacent to the port), you could move no further.

Here is an example with three options, that will explain this clearly. In the example, there is a single naval unit and a single resource marker that are adjacent to a port that contains both resource markers and ground units:

Situation 1:
Spend the resource marker on the ship and gain 6 supply points. Spend 2 supply points to activate the naval unit (a "stack" of 1 unit). The
naval vessel began with 6 movement points on its counter.
Moving from the adjacent sea area into port cost 1 movement point.
Embarking the ground units and leaving the resource markers behind (see 7.3.1) costs 2 movement points.
Moving back out to that adjacent sea area costs 1 movement point.
At that moment, since you are in a sea area with ground and naval units stacked, it drops the movement value of that naval vessel to 4, and since you have used 4 movement points, your move is over.
In effect, your naval unit ended the turn where it began, but you now have ground units.
The disadvantage to this is that you have no resource markers, so you cannot move this stack until you move another naval stack into the area that contains resource markers.

Situation #2:
You spend two supply points to activate the naval unit, but first have the the ground units amphibiously move on to your naval vessels as per 7.1.1. The resource markers are not allowed to do this because only ground units can do this, and resource markers are not ground units. The would now be in a sea area with your naval unit, dropping his movement value from 6 to 4. You then move your naval vessel 4 areas.
The advantage to this is that your can move further more quickly. The disadvantage is that you left resource markers back in port, and unless you ended your movement in an area with other naval vessels containing resource markers, you are again stranded.

Situation #3:
You again spend two supply points to and move the naval units into port, but this time, you stop your movement. Because you ended your naval unit in a ground area with ground units, you must spend an additional 2 supply points to stack.
Next time you run an operation, you spend a resource marker in the port and move the entire stack out to sea. The second you move into a sea area, your naval unit's movement value drops from 6 to 4, so you move 4 areas. It costs no movement points to embark. Because they began the operation in the same ground area, they are considered stacked.
The advantage to this is that this is the only way you can pick up resource markers that were in the port (see 7.3.1), so you are not stranded. The disadvantage is that it took TWO operations to move as far as situation #2.

Quote:

Also, Can a unit be isolated if there is a friendly naval stack in the adjacent sea area (to which it could retreat)?

Not isolated. Think of isolated this way: if you can't retreat, and thus killed if forced to retreat, then you are isolated. Moving a naval unit adjacent to a ground unit can cause it to go from being isolated to not isolated.

Quote:
Am I right in assuming that RP's cannot be moved/placed in an urban area without a port like Buna? The main reason why I'm asking is because the Japanese will get stuck in the land area between Buna and Port Moresby if they attempt a push in that direction, as they will no longer be adjacent to Resource Points offshore. The Allied Player, on the other hand, can get around this problem by utilising his Air Transport card.

Peter

Not the way I read campaign rule 4.0. It says they may placed in an urban area. It says nothing about a port requirement. Keep in mind that if your event card gives you resource markers, they may only be placed in Australia, Nomea, or Rabaul (depending on your side), but if you DISCARD a card to gain a resource marker then you can place it in any urban area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter O'Kane
United Kingdom
Whitley Bay
Tyne & Wear
flag msg tools
In Situation #2 the ground units were presumably embarked a previous turn, therefore the naval stack only has to pay 2 MP's for beginning its transport operation. Otherwise, an additional 2 MP's would have to be spent to embark them, thus leaving 2 MP's for the actual sea journey. If the naval stack hasn't reached its destination at the end of this turn, then it will be able to spend a further 4 MP's next turn. Is this correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
peter1966 wrote:
In Situation #2 the ground units were presumably embarked a previous turn, therefore the naval stack only has to pay 2 MP's for beginning its transport operation. Otherwise, an additional 2 MP's would have to be spent to embark them, thus leaving 2 MP's for the actual sea journey. If the naval stack hasn't reached its destination at the end of this turn, then it will be able to spend a further 4 MP's next turn. Is this correct?

In all 3 situations I list, the ground units are not embarked. They are in a ground area with some resource markers and that ground area has a port symbol on it. The naval unit(s) are in the adjacent sea area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter O'Kane
United Kingdom
Whitley Bay
Tyne & Wear
flag msg tools
Is not Situation #2 similar to situation #1 in that you pay 2 MP's to embark ground units (whether in a port or amphibiously) and pay a further 2 MP's for the ground units being stacked with naval units in a sea zone? This would leave 2 MP's for the sea journey in situation #2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahhh. You are right. I never caught that it takes 2 movement points to embark when using 7.11. You are correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Ronco Poce
Spain
Sevilla
Sevilla
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
airjudden wrote:

See 7.1.6 and 7.1.7 in the series rules.

It takes 0 movement points to disembark and 2 movement points to embark DURING your operation. But if you started the turn with the naval units in port (think of port as a ground area) and ground units in the same ground area, then it costs nothing to embark. However, the moment you have these units stacked together in a sea area -- meaning you shoved out to sea -- the movement value of your naval unit drops from 6 to 4.

Sorry Judd, but I think there is an errata in the Series Rules: 7.1.7. applies only AT THE BEGINNING of movement during an On-Board Operation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Ronco Poce
Spain
Sevilla
Sevilla
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
airjudden wrote:

Not the way I read campaign rule 4.0. It says they may placed in an urban area. It says nothing about a port requirement. Keep in mind that if your event card gives you resource markers, they may only be placed in Australia, Nomea, or Rabaul (depending on your side), but if you DISCARD a card to gain a resource marker then you can place it in any urban area.

Judd, the Campaign Rule applies also to resources received by discarding cards !!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Ronco Poce
Spain
Sevilla
Sevilla
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Judd, many thanks for your efforts answering questions thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Ronco Poce
Spain
Sevilla
Sevilla
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
peter1966 wrote:

If you begin an On-Board Operation stacked in a port with naval and land units you just pay 2 RF of the naval units and embark up to three land units.

peter1966 wrote:

Yes

peter1966 wrote:

Yes.

peter1966 wrote:

Yes

peter1966 wrote:

Yes.

peter1966 wrote:

No it is not isolated. It can retreat back to sea.

peter1966 wrote:

No, you cannot place not move RP to Buna. Historically the Janapese tried to reach Port Moresby by sea and then by land but they have few chances of success. After this the Allied could counterattack due to his air mobility and the possesion of Port Moresby, that allow RP to enter New Guinea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.