C Spiekerman
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Short version: 16 player, store tournament, Tacoma WA 10/18/2014. I ran Nasir and NEH. Tied for top spot in wins (7-1), but tiebreaker keeps Nasir under the radar. Nasir was 4-0.

Longer version:
Took part in a 16 player tournament at Terracrux games in Tacoma Washington. I decided it was worth the drive to give my Nasir Wyrm deck a go before untrashable ICE like Architect make it untenable. I've been working with the deck since (or before) Nasir came out. Here's the list:

Nasir ICE destruct toolbox

Nasir Meidan: Cyber Explorer (Upstalk)

Event (8)
3x Diesel (Core Set)
1x Indexing (Future Proof)
1x Levy AR Lab Access (Creation and Control)
1x Net Celebrity (The Spaces Between)
2x Quality Time (Humanity's Shadow)

Hardware (9)
3x Clone Chip (Creation and Control)
2x Plascrete Carapace (What Lies Ahead)
2x R&D Interface (Future Proof)
2x The Toolbox (Core Set)

Resource (14)
3x Armitage Codebusting (Core Set)
3x Ghost Runner (The Spaces Between)
2x Kati Jones (Humanity's Shadow)
2x Order of Sol (First Contact)
3x Personal Workshop (Cyber Exodus)
1x Same Old Thing (Creation and Control)

Icebreaker (5)
1x Atman (Creation and Control)
1x Inti (Creation and Control)
2x Wyrm (Core Set) ••••
1x ZU.13 Key Master (What Lies Ahead)

Program (9)
2x Datasucker (Core Set) ••
1x Imp (What Lies Ahead) •••
3x Parasite (Core Set) ••••• •
3x Self-modifying Code (Creation and Control)

Deck built on NetrunnerDB.

The basic idea of the deck is to destroy ICE with Wyrm/Parasite/Datasucker. Nasir money funds the Wyrm. GhostRunner, Net Celebrity, Toolbox, and Order of Sol are there to pick up the slack when Suckers plus Nasir money isn't quite enough.

My corp deck was not quite so interesting as I went with NEH, but I did throw in a couple of Architects to see how well I could abuse them. I was pleased with the result!

NBN - NEH fastro

Near-Earth Hub: Broadcast Center (Upstalk)

Agenda (11)
3x AstroScript Pilot Program (Core Set)
2x Breaking News (Core Set)
3x NAPD Contract (Double Time)
3x Project Beale (Future Proof)

Asset (8)
3x Jackson Howard (Opening Moves)
2x Marked Accounts (Cyber Exodus)
3x PAD Campaign (Core Set)

Upgrade (3)
3x SanSan City Grid (Core Set)

Operation (11)
2x Biotic Labor (Core Set) ••••• •••
2x Fast Track (Honor and Profit)
3x Hedge Fund (Core Set)
1x Paywall Implementation (The Spaces Between) ••
3x Sweeps Week (True Colors)

Barrier (6)
3x Eli 1.0 (Future Proof) •••
1x Wall of Static (Core Set)
2x Wraparound (Fear and Loathing)

Code Gate (6)
1x Enigma (Core Set)
3x Pop-up Window (Cyber Exodus)
2x Quandary (Double Time)

Sentry (4)
2x Architect (Up and Over) ••••
1x Grim (Opening Moves)
1x Hunter (Core Set)

Deck built on NetrunnerDB.

The tourney was 4 rounds of Swiss no cut. I did actually take notes, but on my way home my car blew up, and in all the confusion I must have misplaced them. Oh well, I've already forgotten some names

Round 1: Will, Gabe/GRNDL
Ran Nasir against GRNDL first. I was a little worried about getting Scorched. He put out no ICE at first, and I scored a Cleaners off the top of R&D turn 1. He followed up with a Punitive, but luckily only one. He then proceeded to put out only a couple of ICE (which I killed) and about 4 remotes (no advancements). I kiled the ICE over his centrals and was able to pull enough points for the win. Will was bummed because on the turn I had scored an Atlas from HQ for the win, he had just drawn the second Scorch, so I would have been flatlined the next turn. However, I did have Imp out, so with 3 runs of HQ it is quite possible that if I hadn't found the Atlas I would have been able to Imp a Scorch or SEA.

The Gabe matchup was a little comical because he got out Sneakdoor and was accessing HQ almost every turn. I didn't do anything about it because I had Paywall Implementation installed and was making big bucks, plus I had nothing of value in HQ. But the funny part was he was accessing my Fast Track almost every time. Eventually I had two Fast Tracks in hand, and he was yelling and screaming every time he hit it. He must have accessed a Fast Track 14 times, and he was not happy. I won through Astro Train, but not in the usual way. Since he was accessing HQ every turn, I just installed Astros in remotes as soon as I got them. He didn't run them, and with two Astro counters and two Fastracks the game was basically over.

Round 2: Jacob, Andy/The Foundry

Again I ran Nasir first, and Jacob started setting up a bunch of ICE, while I tried to get out the ICE killing combos. He then rezzed an Eliza's Toybox and used it to rez two Heimdall 2.0's in short order. I thought I was in serious trouble as there were 22 Nasir credits that I would never see. I soon after got the combo going and destroyed a couple of his ICE, made bunch of runs on R&D to build up enough sucker counters, and used them to kill one of the Heimdalls. This stopped him from rezzing more ICE with Eliza's, which was good for me I think. I eventually got out a pretty good rig (toolbox, Atman, R&D interface, two suckers) so when I drew into my Indexing, and he advanced his only card that could be a Jackson, I was able to use Indexing to score out the usual way (by actually breaking ICE with the Atman). Early on I stole a Chronos Project. That would've likely been the death of me had he scored that.

Against his Andy I was able to keep him pretty poor, but make a ton of money myself on his Sneakdoor runs through Pop-up and Paywall Implementation. IIRC I can chalk up that win to San San.

Round 3: Ryan, Weyland BABW, Iain.

I think I actually corped first this time. What I remember of this game was that in fairly short order I had scored an Astro and Breaking News and he had gotten out 3 Underworld Contacts, so was now getting 5 credits at the beginning of each turn. Luckily for me, he had Ninja as his killer, and so Architect was pretty pricey for him. He let it run a couple of times which allowed me to keep pumping those SanSans out of the archives, which kept eating his 5 credits/turn. This one was a bit of a siege but eventually the Astrotrain prevailed. I was at 5 points looking for that final two pointer, and dropped an NAPD behind a Quandary-Grim server. He was able to steal but it zeroed him out. I then installed two SanSans (maybe via Architect?) so one would seal the deal with another NAPD I had, then I topdecked a Beale which did the trick with the Astro token.

We were now short on time. My initial draw didn't contain the Personal Workshop I usually mulligan for, but did have a Plascrete, so I opted to stick with that. I wasn't able to pressure him too much, but was able to build up some combo pieces, and I might've sniped an Atlas from HQ when he didn't rez. He built up a two deep remote and IA'd. I think I had an SMC, Clone Chip, and a Wyrm out, but I no Sucker or Ghost Runners so it seemed unlikely that I would be able to have enough money to kill the second ICE. I went for it anyway, and the first ICE was a Wendigo. That is a bad one because it is strength 4, but only 2 to rez/Nasir money. I think I dumped my money to Parasite the Wendigo, but with only two from the rez I couldn't kill. So I let it hit and he named Wyrm for the sub. I continued and he didn't rez the inner ICE, so I gritted my teeth for the possible trap and accessed .... an Atlas! Yay. A couple turns later there were two virus counters on the Parasite, and I had a Sucker going with two counters. Ryan has installed a 3rd ICE past the Wendigo and now IAA'd in the server. I run and he rezzes a Hive, 5 subs. With Order of Sol firing this gives me 6 credits, so with the two suckers I can break Hive with Inti, but using the suckers will preclude killing the Wendigo. I go for it. Again he targets Wyrm with Wendigo, but fails to rez the inner ICE. I score another Atlas. After that he scores a Hostile and so I am able to run through the Ice Wall on R&D repeatedly with Inti, pulling an Atlas and NAPD for the win just before time.

Final Round: Kyle, Quetzal, NEH.

Kyle is also at 6-0, so this will decide it. He came very close to winning a recent tournament in Seattle, so I know this is going to be a tough matchup.

He runs Quetzal first. I suspect he is running Siphon Quetzal that he was running in Seattle, so I try to take it slow and never have much more money than I can dump from rezzing. Between Parasites and Quetzal ability he is able to get accesses almost every turn. My initial ICE were Grim and Pop-up I think. Grim was in front of R&D and I never had a reason to rez it as Kyle never had to install anything other than Parasite. I was able to use Architect to good effect, but not good enough. At one point I rezzed a SanSan in response to Siphon, and I had a couple drip going, but unfortunately I had dumped the Beale's I had been holding into archives due to the constant pressure. I can't stop his accesses on R&D and he eventually scores out.

So now I am down 1 game to Kyle. It is up to Nasir! In this game the Nasir Wyrm combo never appeared. Mulligan did not produce a personal workshop, but did give me an R&D interface and an Order of Sol. First turn Kyle installs ICE on R&D and HQ and one card in remote. I install R&D interface and run R&D. I like this play as now the corp has to decide between giving me money or giving me two accesses. Unfortunately his ICE was Pop-up. WOMP WOMP. I am shut out. Lucky for me he doesn't protect further, and I install Order of Sol and use it to pay my way through Pop-up and score a Beale, and another after a few more turns of this. Kyle is digging like crazy for agendas, while installing a bunch of remotes. He then finds a Fast Track and tutors an Astro on click three. His two ICE on HQ seem impenetrable as I don't have any of my combo out. Next turn he scores his Astro via a SanSan. Luckily I have Imp in hand now and kill the SanSan. I keep running R&D while he builds money from the PAD's that are sprouting like mushrooms. Finally the free lunches end with a rez of Tollbooth over R&D. At this point, I still don't have the insta-Parasite thing going yet, but I do have Zu.13 with a couple sucker tokens so am able to break with the Tollbooth money, and I grab an Astro. Now my goal is to somehow build up money and suckers to kill that Tollbooth to find one more agenda. Unfortunately, this goes slowly and Kyle now has infinite money. In response to me dropping another RDI, Kyle installs 3 more ICE in front of the Tollbooth. This looks bad. I have been lucky though that he has been unable to pull any more agendas or Fast Tracks. At some point in my despair, I'm not sure what to do with my last click so I just run the remote he placed turn 1 and I have failed to check all game. It turns out to be an NAPD. My 1 credit in pool plus Ghost Runner pulls it off to win the game!

Nasir 4-0! And even though I didn't win, it was cool that it was a Quetzal-Nasir showdown for the playmat.

This is a lot longer than I thought it would be, so will end here. Maybe more about the Nasir deck later if anyone is interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Angell
msg tools
nice job chuck. i had a feeling when you said you played nasir it was something like this. probably my least favorite deck to play against as the corp maybe even now tied with a scumbag gabe deck which is saying something.

did you try astrolabe yet? it seems like it would be pretty insane v NEH.

my other thoughts would be the full suite of personal touchs and possibly a femme. this would give you the 3rd "real"breaker to actually break architect and still have your atman set to 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Spiekerman
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I considered Astrolabe, and got as far as making a variant on netrunnerdb with Astrolabes in place of Toolboxes, but haven't got around to playing it yet. The Toolbox credits are really great once you get it out, and obviously it solves all your memory issues (especially considering I am running Zu.13), but it is tough to get out. Astrolabe instead of Toolbox could also allow one less Personal Workshop, though they are really helpful for setting up Parasites for insta-installs.

Femme would be cool, but definitely require the Personal Workshop, and would make it worth shoe-horning a Scavenge in somehow. Scavenge can also be useful in rejuvenating Imp, resetting Atman, or recurring a Parasite. Scavenge was in this deck until at last minute I replaced it with an Indexing.

Personal Touches would be OK to boost Wyrm, but they just didn't make the cut. Too many other better things. Maybe worth trying a one-of in place of the Net Celebrity?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.