4 Posts

Summoner Wars: Alliances Master Set» Forums » General

Subject: Will this make sleeving unnecessary? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
In disguise.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is supposed to have a gaming mat, instead of a regular board. So, I think I could use Summoner Wars: Master Set with the mat without having worn out cards, frayed edges and creases. Or are Summoner Wars cards not that sturdy? (The master set has 257 cards and this probably have at least 280 cards (35 per each faction), so sleeves would cost about $30). Thanks for replying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hill
United Kingdom
Fareham
HAMPSHIRE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The current master set (which you link to) comes with a cardboard / sturdy board on which to play on, where as the starter packs (just two factions come with a paper / more travel friendly version. I am not sure on what type of board the new alliance set will come with, however I would guess it to be the same cardboard / sturdy as the current master version.

Regardless, the paper or cardboard version is of a grid which you place your cards on and move them around on, there are some amazing homemade alternate versions listed here in the images section; if I had any talent I would try and make a foam core version as well.

In my experience (current 42 plays,) I would say that the cards are perfectly ok not sleeved. They are thick, glossy and have not shown any signs of use to date (almost akin to Last Night on Earth cards.) $30 on sleeves alone is a fair bit of money, I would personally prefer to spend this on buying additional factions rr a new game entirely.

However, this is based on the current material which todays cards are made from; may change with latest printing?

Hope this is of some help?
Dan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Arthur Ellis
United States
Ashland
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Alliances set comes with a neoprene map as the OP referred to.

The cards are just fine unsleeved. If they get worn it's as much from shuffling as anything, so the board won't affect that.

I started sleeving my collection early on because I had old-school 2009 starter sets, with the OP Thorkur and everything. Those cards were not that high quality. However I haven't sleeved any of my second summoners and don't plan to... they are making it just fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Witte
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After extensively playing a sample of everything (Master Set, stand alone dual set, and individual factions) I sleeved all the cards. They would have been playable without sleeves, but I noticed some wear on the edges and the backs. Since I plan on playing SW for many years, I thought it was worth the price. I've got a few hundred extra for the Alliances Master Set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.