Doug Gries
United States
Libertyville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can artillery and mortars enter entrenchments AND benefit from a +1 fire modifier?

I don't see anything in the rules that says this isn't possible, so I'm 99% sure they would get the +1, but I just want to make sure. The only thing in my mind is this would allow mortars with a 3 fire rating to lay down a heavy barrage, assuming getting company bonus: 3+1+2 = 6. (How 'bout them math skills?)

Also, assuming this is possible, I'm assuming the process would be for the Engineer to first construct an IP (automatic) and then construct the Entrenchment (task check), then exit the entrenchment because by default the engineer would be in his own entrenchment, and then the gun could enter the entrenchment ONLY by "retire by prolonge" (task check) even if it has organic transport. Which means it would have had to dismount on the hex with the entrenchment previously. Does this seem correct?

All exit/enter movement takes a full activation so it would be time consuming but well worth the effort if the engineer isn't needed somewhere else. Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
You've got two questions.
1) Can arty entrench?
2) Do the engineers need to create the entrenchments first?

I'm going from memory on how we played it. This is going on memory without referring to rules

1) Yes, artillery can entrench. We conversed about this, and part of what we envisioned by entrenching is creating a semi-permanent position. Digging in, camouflage, stacking of shells near the guns. This last is part of what would create the firing bonus, in addition to not being exposed so that you can concentrate on firing.

2) We may have done it wrong, but I think that engineers can create entrenchments with the other unit present in the hex. Thus engineers can go into a hex with an existing unit and create an entrenchment for the unit.

Again I'm going from memory, but that's how I remember it. Not to say that we did it correctly.

Edit: Reviewing Series rules 22.2.1 and 22.3.1 indicate that Engineers can build improved positions and entrenchments with the unit already there. In practice I parked the arty where I wanted it to be, and then built the entrenchment. It was just easier for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starkweather
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Can artillery and mortars enter entrenchments AND benefit from a +1 fire modifier?

Sure! Standard rules apply (nothing special about artillery and mortars in entrenchments)...and it's a smart idea to do so. Engineers will be your close friend as you see more and more uses for them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.