Owen Compton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wondering if many people had played this multiplayer (with or without the precons and if they have then what it's like?

If I was to get this then I'd probably want to introduce it to people as a four player game with the precons, any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pixxel Wizzard
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know what precons are, but I've played this with three players and I have to say it's a lot of fun. We used the short game rules, that is, the win condition is met if any player has more control than any other player's influence. This can create instances where you lose a game because of another player's poor decisions, so I do prefer a two player game where your destiny is securely in your own hands. However, that being said things do liven up quite a bit in a three (and I assume) four player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Picker
United States
Edwardsville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played a ~1 hour 4 player game a few weeks back, it was a blast! No specific pre-cons. However, each person had played the 2-player version and had a basic understanding of the game/cards.

We used the deluxe edition poker chips (4 different colors) to represent the control points for each player as counting influence was easier much more variable (as deeds passed to other players, the control chip(s) would be moved). Players would negotiate to help and/or maintain control of key areas with other in exchange for ghost rock. Made a few rule mistakes for shoot-outs, but nothing significant.

The control swung back and forth between several players through the game. The Sloane gang was down to their last dude until the tide quickly turned and they were able to mow down the 4 Ring and Law Dogs to edge out the win over the Morgan Gang.

It was great fun; however, everyone should have a basic understanding of the game before embarking on a multi-player Doomtown.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pinkled5 wrote:
I don't know what precons are, but I've played this with three players and I have to say it's a lot of fun. We used the short game rules, that is, the win condition is met if any player has more control than any other player's influence. This can create instances where you lose a game because of another players poor decisions, so I do prefer a two player game where your destiny is securely in your own hands. However, that being said things do liven up quite a bit in a three (and I assume) four player game.

"precons" means the preconstructed decks.

I've played a few 3p games and they've gone well, Doomtown seems to work better multi-player than most card games. If we had four people we'd just split up into two games (for the reasons Pixxel Wizzard mentioned, which tend to exist for ALL games where you can directly attach each other no matter what they are), but it's really nice that you CAN play 3p without it either totally sucking or leaving someone out of the game. That's a bonus in my mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy

Los Angeles
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pinkled5 wrote:
I don't know what precons are, but I've played this with three players and I have to say it's a lot of fun. We used the short game rules, that is, the win condition is met if any player has more control than any other player's influence. This can create instances where you lose a game because of another player's poor decisions, so I do prefer a two player game where your destiny is securely in your own hands. However, that being said things do liven up quite a bit in a three (and I assume) four player game.

I've played three player, but with slightly different win conditions. We played where you must have more control than the highest other player's influence. Addressed the issue you mention and created a really tactical game-- albeit at a length of play hit.

I believe the rulebook outlines both types of win conditions for multiplayer games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennison Milenkaya
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The win condition Andy mentions (must have more control than the highest influence total among your opponents) is officially the way to play. Beat the lowest is a variant suggested in the rulebook. Both are decent, with different benefits and drawbacks.

In regards to what multi-player Doomtown is like, I'd say it is so intricate and involved, carrying more risk, way more options, strategies, and variables that playing 2-player barely feels like scratching the surface of the game's potential depth. For example, defense is very important when surrounded by foes on all sides.

With only one rival gang and the ability to play an action for each other action (meaning having direct control of exactly half of the game's events), you have far less to worry about, you definitely should press offense since you only need to keep one gang down, and you cannot avoid confrontation by convincing your opponent that there's other threats to worry about.

Consider: In a 4-player game, town square is dangerous for everyone. In a 2-player game, it is only dangerous to the player with the slower start.

I've noticed that the four pre-constructed decks are all fairly balanced for the full game. Part of this is the balancing of all opponents.

Fourth Ring needs time to set up more than the other gangs but since their three opponents need to worry about each other immediately, they can lay low for a couple days and line up their ducks.

The Law Dogs don't tend to shoot as well but usually win lowball, since all decks are built around the same 2-value structure with a third value as kicker, and the Law Dogs' values are Ace, 2, 3. More importantly, the Law Dogs have more opportunities to coerce their rivals to fight each other than the other gangs.

Sloane has a lot of good up-front shootout effects but the other gangs have more say in shootout resolution sneaking a strong rank away, like the Law Dogs and Fourth Ring's Cheatin'! card effects. They'd be able to make a strong early show of force but getting a leg up on only one rival gang isn't worth the risk.

Morgan sets up fast and tends to hire influential dudes at a greater pace and while their bullets don't look very impressive, their deck structure allows them to make impressive hands without really trying. They have a lot of movement options with lots of horses and can easily out-maneuver a rival, but they can't exactly out-maneuver everyone else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B.D. Flory
United States
New York
flag msg tools
I find that, assuming you get past the early game where each player drops a couple of control and people go for the win, the mid and late game actually develop much more like a board game than a card game. Lots of ebb and flow and strategic and tactical decisions.

That said, it *also* plays like many board games in that it can be a significant time commitment. An hour for a 3 player game is a good estimate, but it can easily go longer. 4 players, you could be looking at 2-3 hours. Of course, the variant where you need only beat *any* player's influence goes much faster.

Obviously, this is not for everyone, but I really enjoy it as a change of pace from dueling. I've not played much AGoT joust, but I'm under the impression that DT is also less prone to kingmaking. Especially if you take advantage of the new casualty rules, as long as you keep a game alive, you can mount a comeback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Clark
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm pretty new to the game (played 3 duels last Monday, and 2 Multiplayer games on Saturday), but I'm quite impressed with the multiplayer game.

They were significantly longer than the 2 player games, but that felt like a plus as it gave me a much better feel for my deck and some of the combos. I won the first game, but made an early error in the second game that put me on the back foot, but I was still able to come back into a position where I nearly won the game...

We did have 3 base sets between us though, and had customized our decks, so I can't speak to the starter decks...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Richter
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Loved the one four player game I've been able to play. (using all the precons). Lots of table-talk, some uneasy alliances and came down to some nail-biters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.